The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

News From the Front:

As the wife and I have taken to visiting different parts of SoCal on the weekends for 1) just needing to get out and 2) there is little traffic we can get around pretty quickly.  

Today's Journey:  Downtown LA and Beverly Hills

Downtown was pretty quiet. I've not been downtown in years so not sure how it normally looks late morning early afternoon on a Sunday but I was surprised at the number of shops open and the number of street vendors doing pretty decent business.  Beverly Hills was quiet too but more people not wearing masks (they are required there too) there than in downtown LA where there were only a few that were.....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Reality Check said:

...and now we get to the point of the exercise. You believe in forced vaccinations.

Ya know, I've never understood that. It's simple really, if the people who ARE vaccinated are immune, why should they care if there are people around them that aren't? smdh...

• Thank you (+1) 2

DEATHS ARE A LAGGING INDICATOR, SO THIS IS GOOD NEWS: 

South Carolina Reports No New Coronavirus Deaths. 

“On Sunday, DHEC reported 276 new cases, bringing the state’s total to 8,661.

DHEC also reported zero deaths, keeping the death toll to 380.

It’s the first time no deaths occurred in the state since March 20, according to DHEC’s website.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

WHY NO SPIKE AS STATES REOPEN?

Featured image

This morning on the Sunday talk shows, Alex Azar pointed out that in states that have reopened ahead of the others, like Florida and Georgia, there has not been an increase in COVID cases and deaths:

“We are seeing that in places that are opening, we’re not seeing this spike in cases,” Azar said on CNN’s “State of the Union” program. “We still see spikes in some areas that are, in fact, closed.”

However, Azar said identifying and reporting new cases takes time. …

“It’s still early days,” Azar cautioned in an interview with CBS’ “Face the Nation.” He said data will take some time to come in from states that reopened early such as Georgia and Florida.

I find this puzzling. I have taken it as given that when the states’ stay-home orders are finally withdrawn, the Wuhan virus will begin spreading more rapidly, manifested by more people getting the disease and a tiny percentage of them dying. This follows from the assumption that the states’ drastic shutdown orders have, to some degree, slowed the disease’s spread.

My problem with the shutdown orders wasn’t that they couldn’t slow the rate of infection; I assumed they did. My argument has been that

1) the cost of the shutdown orders in human sickness, death, poverty and misery is far too high for any marginal benefit they might confer, and

2) temporarily slowing the disease’s spread is of little or no value, since the shutdowns must inevitably end, and when they do, the disease will still be there, continuing to infect people.

If the rate of infection actually fails to rise when the shutdowns end, it implies that my view of the shutdowns was too generous. If infections don’t increase, it suggests–proves, arguably–that the shutdowns were absolutely useless, as they failed even to slow the spread of the Wuhan virus.

MORE at the link:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That's sarcasm, right?

I did it for Reality’s benefit. 

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Ya know, I've never understood that. It's simple really, if the people who ARE vaccinated are immune, why should they care if there are people around them that aren't? smdh...

Not everyone can be vaccinated (many immunity suppressed people) and not all the vaccinations take.

More people who are vaccinated create the herd immunity we all discuss. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I did it for Reality’s benefit. 

Not everyone can be vaccinated (many immunity suppressed people) and not all the vaccinations take.

More people who are vaccinated create the herd immunity we all discuss. 

Okay, so what percentage of people can't be vaccinated? And because they can't, we want to force everyone else to be vaccinated?

8 hours ago, Cinga said:

Okay, so what percentage of people can't be vaccinated? And because they can't, we want to force everyone else to be vaccinated?

Yes. You do it for neglected kids, immunity suppressed, and those where it doesn't take. That's exactly why you do it. Maybe you've read about the return of certain once-eradicated diseases in our country in recent years? That is the effect of enough anti and neglectful vaxxers now being large enough to overcome the former herd immunity.

People once thought of those who refused vaccinations as fringe weirdos. Now they are mainstream. That merger of the anti science movement where left and right are the same. 

"Make polio great again."

Edited by shoshin

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Very good news.   Whichever country can get to it first it will serve as a huge boon for that countries standing in the world.

Just watched the CEO on Squawk..really impressive. Market was up about 300 before he spoke, up 600 now. And at least these guys are going to make money on it..they talked a bit about pricing. Not like thse chuckleheads at Gilead, giving away Remisdiverer(sp) .. you know guys like me who have held Gilead fro 6 years were so happy with that news!!!!!