The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It continually puzzles me why people want to immediately take the word of some person on twitter of unknown depth of knowledge, over CDC experts and people whose job it is to be knee-deep in the data?

It's the result of years of erosion of public trust in our institutions -- most of it entirely earned. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

@Magox....i think all that study is nixed cause it does not say specifically outdoor stadiums are safe...and I need someone to come to that conclusion before July 1 please! Make my summer way better knowing we be at the home opener. 

Interesting stuff in there..all i can say is good thing I did not become a data scientist..chart reading and extrapolation not exactly my strong suit!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

@Magox....i think all that study is nixed cause it does not say specifically outdoor stadiums are safe...and I need someone to come to that conclusion before July 1 please! Make my summer way better knowing we be at the home opener. 

Interesting stuff in there..all i can say is good thing I did not become a data scientist..chart reading and extrapolation not exactly my strong suit!

You are correct, none of this is conclusive.  And the part about the outside was my take on it but I think it's pretty clear through simple inference that she specifically believes that confined spaces such as elevators, home shelters, inside people's homes, transportation etc are the clear drivers of transmissibility.  So, what is the opposite of that?   Outside in non crowded areas where people aren't congregating together closely for extended periods of time.   Which probably means that even outdoor sports venues are still going to be breeding grounds for the Virus.   

Again, just to be clear, I am not saying outdoor stadiums or all outdoor locations are safe.  I'm not saying that.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The young lady making these tweets is a credentialed infectious disease and virology physician in St Andrews, Scotland, but we really have no idea how much data she has access to or time to absorb and process. 

Why would you think she knows a thing that Fauchi and Birx need to be told? 

If she's credentialed, as you say, why wouldn't you want her to talk to our team? What if she's looking at data we don't have? Or, what if she offers an alternative perspective on data we have looked at? The worst case scenario is that they do in fact know every single thing she does and the conclusions are more validated.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

You are correct, none of this is conclusive.  And the part about the outside was my take on it but I think it's pretty clear through simple inference that she specifically believes that confined spaces such as elevators, home shelters, inside people's homes, transportation etc are the clear drivers of transmissibility.  So, what is the opposite of that?   Outside in non crowded areas where people aren't congregating together closely for extended periods of time.   Which probably means that even outdoor sports venues are still going to be breeding grounds for the Virus.   

Again, just to be clear, I am not saying outdoor stadiums or all outdoor locations are safe.  I'm not saying that.

I know, just being facetious...i think she make  sense across the board..think it just confirms what we all thought. 

But *****, cant the NFL pay for a study that says the virus cant get through the fence at New Era

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If she's credentialed, as you say, why wouldn't you want her to talk to our team? What if she's looking at data we don't have? Or, what if she offers an alternative perspective on data we have looked at? The worst case scenario is that they do in fact know every single thing she does and the conclusions are more validated.

Because he doesn’t know whether this credentialed person put in the proper work to have an informed opinion on this issue. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Because he doesn’t know whether this credentialed person put in the proper work to have an informed opinion on this issue. 

You're right. She's probably been studying data on some other infectious disease since March 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I know, just being facetious...i think she make  sense across the board..think it just confirms what we all thought. 

But *****, cant the NFL pay for a study that says the virus cant get through the fence at New Era

It is a big, beautiful fence. 

In all seriousness, I’m happy to wear a mask, and to distance, and to be respectful of my “neighbors” because I see it as the least I can do to help those who are risking their lives in the medical field so that our lives may hopefully soon return to normal.  Missing attendance at 10 Bills games and other HS games this year, though, is going to suck.  That will be tough.  A lot can change between now and “then,” but I have my doubts that we will see each other at New Era Field this year. 

The data is in — stop the panic and end the total isolation

BY DR. SCOTT W. ATLAS

The tragedy of the COVID-19 pandemic appears to be entering the containment phase. Tens of thousands of Americans have died, and Americans are now desperate for sensible policymakers who have the courage to ignore the panic and rely on facts. Leaders must examine accumulated data to see what has actually happened, rather than keep emphasizing hypothetical projections; combine that empirical evidence with fundamental principles of biology established for decades; and then thoughtfully restore the country to function.

Five key facts are being ignored by those calling for continuing the near-total lockdown.

Fact 1: The overwhelming majority of people do not have any significant risk of dying from COVID-19.

Read more at thehill.com ...

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

You're right. She's probably been studying data on some other infectious disease since March 

You miss the point.  It’s about depth, mechanics, and areas of study.  She may have a point.  But that doesn’t mean that she gets a phone call to Dr. Fauci to present her findings.  Let her do it in a peer-reviewed forum (maybe that’s happened, but as far as I know the findings were presented on Twitter) and then we’ll see where it goes.  

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It is a big, beautiful fence. 

In all seriousness, I’m happy to wear a mask, and to distance, and to be respectful of my “neighbors” because I see it as the least I can do to help those who are risking their lives in the medical field so that our lives may hopefully soon return to normal.  Missing attendance at 10 Bills games and other HS games this year, though, is going to suck.  That will be tough.  A lot can change between now and “then,” but I have my doubts that we will see each other at New Era Field this year. 

I have zero issue wearing a mask, and have been doing so since prolly late March...logically i know Bills games with full stadiums gunna be tough lift..emotionally i am ever optimistic with all the AI and the whole world working os medical solution we will get something in June or July that lets normal activities return by September

2 hours ago, westside2 said:

Why do liberals do so much projecting? 

When you behave like a cult by accepting everything that he says, true or not,  it's hard to think of the group differently.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Now wait a minute, you claiming Trump is a poor , rational black woman??

No, but I AM claiming that it is the left which believes they are the party of diversity. But when the dust settled, another hypocrisy was proven out. 

They can claim diversity, but in the end, diversity is nothing more than another leftist way to divide and blame.

Just like they can claim the #metoo/#believeallwomen movement, but here's their phingerphucker, front and center, for the good of the party.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Reality Check said:

It relates to the fact that you have no concept of proportionality. 

So, how many people in the world would have to be infected before you would acknowledge it as a pandemic?

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have zero issue wearing a mask, and have been doing so since prolly late March...logically i know Bills games with full stadiums gunna be tough lift..emotionally i am ever optimistic with all the AI and the whole world working os medical solution we will get something in June or July that lets normal activities return by September

I hope you’re right.  I’ve wondered whether the vaccine timeline will be expedited with the advances in computing power and communication that have occurred over the past decade.  I’ve been in a mask since February.  I’d obviously prefer not to have to wear it, but it’s a matter of respect for others and personal peace of mind.  If we all do our own “little” parts we’ll hopefully get through this much faster. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yeah I saw that nonsense.  By that logic, I suppose that when Trump does something disrespectful or not befitting the office, he too disprespects the office.  Say what you will about George W. Bush and Barack Obama, but those two were and are classy guys who treated the office with the dignity it deserves.  For as much as Trump bags on the Clintons, he’s just as bad as Bill in terms of the respect he shows to the position. 

Hogwash. 

W. Bush, according to logic, liberals and Barrack Obama manufactured a war out of thin air, sent American men and women to die and was also responsible or the deaths of many, many innocents abroad as a result.  In most part of the world, he would be correctly labelled a war criminal for his actions as described.  Barrack Obama, according to historical record,  spearheaded the assault in Libya, which resulted in the deaths of innocents, acted  as an agent of regime change and due to his actions generally, was directly responsible to the emergence of ISIS.  Later, he was directly responsible for the deaths of American citizens in Libya, and when things went south, he created a backstory to deflect blame for his missteps and which served as a propaganda puff piece served to the American voter.  

Both presidents sat back and allowed the southern border to fester on their watch, both by extension oversaw the death and victimization of perhaps hundreds of thousands of citizens on both sides of the border.  It remains to be seen their actions were prompted by apathy, greed or something darker, but the facts remain. 

Finally, as the Russia hoax unfolded over a nearly 4 year period, started under the watch of Barrack Obama, replete with broken rules, broken regulations, lies to the FISA court and a cast of unscrupulous characters the likes of which are often seen in a James Bond thriller, it became clear to many that there was an active, sustained attempt to undue an election.  As Barrack Obama rode off into the sunset, a massive plume of carbon emissions following in his wake, he was oddly silent on the investigation.  W. Bush, he the man calling for peace and tranquility as we battle the virus together, remained silent as well. 

There are more examples of course, but based on my measure, none of these activities equate to anything close to 'respect' for the highest office in the land.  There's no such thing, it's a myth.

I'll ask you the same question I ask all the other high-falootin' presidential decorum advocates:   What is the appropriate response to being called treasonous by members of the opposition party, to an attempt to unseat him from office, to unfounded allegations being made that threaten the individual, his wife, his children and anyone in his circle? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

You miss the point.  It’s about depth, mechanics, and areas of study.  She may have a point.  But that doesn’t mean that she gets a phone call to Dr. Fauci to present her findings.  Let her do it in a peer-reviewed forum (maybe that’s happened, but as far as I know the findings were presented on Twitter) and then we’ll see where it goes.  

Reread your first sentence, out loud, while looking in the mirror. In a global pandemic you take data and analysis from credentialed professionals when you can get it. More data, more better.

• Thank you (+1) 2