The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Not gonna quote anyone on the politics of this... have a sense of both sides... whatever... problem with this is that it spreads easily... more than the flu... there are currently no anti virals to deal with it and those whose have immune or other issues such as cardiac or diabetes are at great risk.  On a personal note, I am a CT tech and work closely with our ER in a hospital... we are short on wipes and masks... also my kids school just closed because a teacher was "exposed so they are cleaning the school" The deal with this is the virus is suspected of surviving on surfaces for a while up to 2 weeks though no one is sure.  We have a nurse and a CT tech out because they treated the lawyer at another hospital in southern Westchester who was infected and a nurse and a respiratory tech out at the part-time pos at a hospital I work at who also worked at the other hospital and treated said lawyer.  I say this to all wash your hands... three caps of bleach per gallon of water is an effective cleaner of surfaces... Soap does best to kill virus on hands... dont fist bump others and stay six feet away from those with a cough.  Cough into your elbow if you need to.... All standard precautions.   Regardless of politicians... this stuff is very contagious and can be be deadly for those who have issue... I am a recent cancer survivor having chemo this past fall and though my blood level immunity seems fine... I am not taking any untoward risks... Commonsense should be used and stay out of large crowds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I agree with you regarding the bolded. Pelosi, Schumer, other dems and the MSM are making it political though by criticizing the administration's effort. Trump and his team appear to have been on top of this as soon as it became apparent there was a problem. The dems think they can turn this into Trump's Katrina and are almost gleefully exploiting that. 

Stop bringing your stupid attacking politic BS into this... the guy tells us something close to him and this is your ***** response.

Edited by Hardhatharry

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Horseshit. Trump has been on this since at least January with shutting down our borders and putting a response team together. You're still on your "hoax" bs even though you know that it never was true. Now, if we get it under control it will be because of the states but if we have problems it will be because of Trump. 

If Trump had been on the case since at least January, surely we would have had more than a few thousand working testing kits by now, the middle of March?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The dems think they can turn this into Trump's Katrina and are almost gleefully exploiting that. 

Cuomo played the Katrina card today. That he waited to this point is the only thing surprising.

Comparing this to the 1917 influenza and medieval Black Plague are forthcoming soon from the Left.

This is an unprecedented serious crisis, no doubt. But the Dems and Trump haters, as this goes on, will look at this more and more as political opportunity, first and foremost, with their eye solely on November.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Artful Dodger said:

If Trump had been on the case since at least January, surely we would have had more than a few thousand working testing kits by now, the middle of March?

A few thousand test kits? You badly need an update to your information.

4 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Stop bringing your stupid attacking politic BS into this... the guy tells us something close to him and this is your ***** response.

He mentioned the politics of the issue and the politics have been all on the left, Baskin.

1 minute ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

According to the data covid spread in USA is behind Italy of 9-10 days.

Technincally you can still save your country but you should start taking counter measures right NOW.

People too busy crying that people are attacking Trump over not doing anything. So they are trying to turn it into a political campaign. It's sad b/c the virus doesnt care if you are republican or democrat but these ***** idiots wont stop.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

He mentioned the politics of the issue and the politics have been all on the left, Baskin.

Wrong

Just now, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Democrats and republicans should be unite against this thing, in Italy the populist right wing tried to exploit the situation against the government, worsening the thing even more.

By reading this forum, it's like reading Italian debate ten days ago, it can be the plot for a movie.

Republicans and dems will never work together b/c trump has basically turned them into a childish fight. The gov't in America is horrible right now, nothing but people blaming each other for things instead of doing something about it. Sickening but people like 3rdnlng and many others fell prey to it and are hooked by it now. Even when someone shares something close they find a way to spin it into one party vs the other....

Just now, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

There was a problem with the test kits from CDC. Not blaming anyone just wished they worked. I think they got workable ones now. (not for sure)

Supposedly about 4 million with more on the way. Reports I've heard is that there were enough available from the start that nobody that needed the test was denied. Shitlikethis is what happens when people want to politicize things when politics are the last thing that should enter into the situation. 

6 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Wrong

Republicans and dems will never work together b/c trump has basically turned them into a childish fight. The gov't in America is horrible right now, nothing but people blaming each other for things instead of doing something about it. Sickening but people like 3rdnlng and many others fell prey to it and are hooked by it now. Even when someone shares something close they find a way to spin it into one party vs the other....

Baskin, your time away has made you even more of an idiot. 

• Like (+1) 3

350 million people, if 70% get it thats 250 M. If 85% of the cases are mild that still leaves 35 M. If the death rate is 1% that is 350, 000 Dead. Lots of bodies, especially when you consider the normal flu kills 20-50,000. Even if only 30% get it still over 100,000. If the death rate is 3.4% like WHO says that's over a million. I hope everything tends to be hyperbole by the media. I'm no so sure that this isn't pretty damn serious.

Supposedly about 4 million with more on the way. Reports I've heard is that there were enough available from the start that nobody that needed the test was denied. Shitlikethis is what happens when people want to politicize things when politics are the last thing that should enter into the situation. 

Baskin, your time away has made you even more of an idiot. 

says the dumb ***** calling me baskin, keep up your ######ed agenda in the Bills forums where it will go nowhere thankfully.

5 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

350 million people, if 70% get it thats 250 M. If 85% of the cases are mild that still leaves 35 M. If the death rate is 1% that is 350, 000 Dead. Lots of bodies, especially when you consider the normal flu kills 20-50,000. Even if only 30% get it still over 100,000. If the death rate is 3.4% like WHO says that's over a million. I hope everything tends to be hyperbole by the media. I'm no so sure that this isn't pretty damn serious.

And that would be starting from a single patient, unlike Flu which has a global dominance already and does not need for hosts to travel from one country to another.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

says the dumb ***** calling me baskin, keep up your ######ed agenda in the Bills forums where it will go nowhere thankfully.

And that would be starting from a single patient, unlike Flu which has a global dominance already and does not need for hosts to travel from one country to another.

Yeah and if its hyperbole from the media its coming from intelligent people,scientist etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Today in Italy the person in charge of the civil protection gave the numbers of the covid death.

827 deaths, 78% are people with bad pre exixtent conditions, in Italy we say, they died WITH the coronavirus.

The remaining are the deaths FOR the coronavirus, the index of letality adjusted according to this consideration is 1.46% and it is compliant with the rest of the world.

I want to remark this because I saw your posts about the high mortality of the disease in Italy.

We count every death, there are no reserved information (I hope), but I want to remark this important difference.

And I repeat, the problem is not the letality, it is the HUGE number of people that require special cares in hospitals.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Well, you've already stated that you've been here before but with a different name. I figured you had to be Baskin since I didn't think anyone else could be as dumb as him. God forbid you're not Baskin. If that's the case the world is a lot dumber than I thought. 

8 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

If a lot of people get the disease there is no structure that can treat them.

5%, 10% of people affected requires "intensive therapy", if the disease will spread 10% of the affected people will die.

This happened in Wuhan when the disease begin to spread.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Today in Italy the person in charge of the civil protection gave the numbers of the covid death.

827 deaths, 78% are people with bad pre exixtent conditions, in Italy we say, they died WITH the coronavirus.

The remaining are the deaths FOR the coronavirus, the index of letality adjusted according to this consideration is 1.46% and it is compliant with the rest of the world.

I want to remark this because I saw your posts about the high mortality of the disease in Italy.

We count every death, there are no reserved information (I hope), but I want to remark this important difference.

And I repeat, the problem is not the letality, it is the HUGE number of people that require special cares in hospitals.

TBH it is about the amount of money that is going to be needed to treat all these people. We already screwed things up by not taking precautions. I am just worried about how much money it will cost b/c of being so slow to actually do anything. Could have taken this more seriously and saved a bunch of money that in the end will come out of the tax payers pockets b/c of this.

Edited by Hardhatharry