The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

They'll say that the masks worked.  That guy vaping thru his mask proved otherwise weeks ago. 

Herd immunity doesn't work, until the virus hits at that magical 20% number.  Right before that happens, everyone flips out and issues hard lockdowns...

SIgh, it's the distancing and herd immunity.  Not the masks.

Im not interested in the said reasons just the data. I’m all about that data.   The data doesn’t lie.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Im not interested in the said reasons just the data. I’m all about that data.   The data doesn’t lie.

Erm, real, honest data may not lie, but we are getting bull#### "data" daily. The only question is if these "errors" are honest mistakes or cookin' the books.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This could be what's related to Trump cancelling throwing out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium Aug 15.  He tweeted it was due to meetings on vaccines:

New COVID-19 treatments may be days away, Mark Meadows says

White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows on Sunday said he was “hopeful” that within days there will be an announcement on new treatments for COVID-19.

“We’re hopeful that, with some of the breakthrough technology on therapeutics, that we will be able to announce some new therapies in the coming days,” Meadows said in an interview with ABC News....

...Meadows did not elaborate on what the new therapies may be.

“I’m hopeful that, in the next couple of days, that we will have some very good news on the therapeutic and vaccine fronts, as we try to address this China virus,” he repeated in the interview.

https://nypost-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/nypost.com/2020/07/26/new-covid-19-treatments-may-be-days-away-wh-chief-of-staff/amp/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fnypost.com%2F2020%2F07%2F26%2Fnew-covid-19-treatments-may-be-days-away-wh-chief-of-staff%2F

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Erm, real, honest data may not lie, but we are getting bull#### "data" daily. The only question is if these "errors" are honest mistakes or cookin' the books.

There is a saying:

The data doesn’t lie, people do.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Magox said:

Whether this conspiracy stuff she says is true or not, who knows?  I take no position one way or another, let people see it and make up their own mind.

Bold.

Thats the problem with people like you guys, you are so afraid of people seeing things and making up their own minds yet you guys believe in the biggest liars and conspiracy theorists out there, the mainstream press.   They lie to you many times every single day and you guys still eat it up.

It seems like you think you're talking to me. Perhaps don't  paint with so broad a brush of "you guys" and assuming you know what I believe. It makes you look small-minded, and I believe you're one of the more open-minded people in this place. (Tallest Lilliputian and all that.) 

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

This could be what's related to Trump cancelling throwing out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium Aug 15.  He tweeted it was due to meetings on vaccines:

New COVID-19 treatments may be days away, Mark Meadows says

White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows on Sunday said he was “hopeful” that within days there will be an announcement on new treatments for COVID-19.

“We’re hopeful that, with some of the breakthrough technology on therapeutics, that we will be able to announce some new therapies in the coming days,” Meadows said in an interview with ABC News....

...Meadows did not elaborate on what the new therapies may be.

“I’m hopeful that, in the next couple of days, that we will have some very good news on the therapeutic and vaccine fronts, as we try to address this China virus,” he repeated in the interview.

https://nypost-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/nypost.com/2020/07/26/new-covid-19-treatments-may-be-days-away-wh-chief-of-staff/amp/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fnypost.com%2F2020%2F07%2F26%2Fnew-covid-19-treatments-may-be-days-away-wh-chief-of-staff%2F

I guess something huge is coming. He wouldn't say that if there wasn't an enormous announcement on the way. The only thing I find surprising is that the government would get this news out before the companies. 

Edited by shoshin

Reagent shortages are making labs resort to pooling of patient samples. If a pooled sample comes back negative, then all are reported negative.  If positive,  all patient samples from the pool need to be retested individually. There's part of the answer as to why it takes so long to get results. It's all Trumps fault of course. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/07/25/covid-testing-labs-turn-sample-pooling-save-resources/5493825002/

The other country in the world with a fierce anti-mask resistance is ___________.

9 hours ago, Magox said:

Testing is beyond where it was projected to be at this point.  That doesn’t stop these frauds from gaslighting us all

Minimum recommended vs currently recommended. And who cares? We clearly are underdelivering on testing. After this round of people die off, I don't think we will see another giant surge in the US unless:

(1) There's some unpredicted change in the virus and people's resistance; or

(2) The reopening of schools and weather in the fall somehow amplifies spread. 

The silicon valley and Seattle zones have yet to get smashed but those would seem to be the only areas not yet really hit hard. 

We will have timely and adequate testing once the worst of this is over. That should help with smaller outbreaks and allow us to finally get on top of this. Once we have rapid-result testing and adequate tracking, our cases *should* accelerate downwards. 

Edited by shoshin

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The other country in the world with a fierce anti-mask resistance is ___________.

We will have timely and adequate testing once the worst of this is over. That should help with smaller outbreaks and allow us to finally get on top of this. Once we have rapid-result testing and adequate tracking, our cases *should* accelerate downwards. 

Additional testing at this stage of the game is overrated.   I told you and whoever else months ago that contact tracing is largely useless at this stage of the game because prevalency was out of control and that the baseline of infected was too high.  You guys argued, I made my point and now we see who was right.  

Rapid testing increase for targeted areas makes sense.  Anything else additional on top of what we are already doing you can chalk up as diminishing returns. 

The idea that we will "get on top of this" in respect to lowering the virus by doing all these ancillary things such as additional testing, masks, etc only help on the margins at this stage of the game.  I said that months ago, and here we are. 

That's not to say that we shouldn't do any of these other things because anything on the margins still helps, especially for the most vulnerable.

The virus just needs to play out, it sucks that it got here from China but it is what it is.  But the deleterious effects of extreme social distancing has costs far greater than COVID-19 does and those effects will continue to play out well beyond the worst of COVID-19 hitting us.   

What I talked about months ago, still stands today.  Protect the most vulnerable, practice some common sense precautionary measures and reopen the economy fully.   

• Like (+1) 1

I live in Southern California, one of the epicenters for the recent waves. I actually showed real symptoms (fever) most of last week. I was tested twice. Once on Tuesday and again on Friday. I had no trouble getting an appointment for either type of test. The first was a fifteen minute result, and the second took 48 hours for the lab results. Both test were negative. I’ve had a rough week health wise for sure but I’m on the mend and now coming back on here for a second I absolutely marvel at the ridiculous nonsense and misinformation I’m reading. It’s no wonder no one believes anything they’re told anymore.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Magox said:

effects of extreme social distancing

New X Games event?

What is the difference between extreme social distancing and social distancing? 6 feet versus 8?

Social distancing is social distancing.

34 minutes ago, Magox said:

practice some common sense precautionary measures 

Like social distancing. But not XTREME SD.

8 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

New X Games event?

What is the difference between extreme social distancing and social distancing? 6 feet versus 8?

Social distancing is social distancing.

Like social distancing. But not XTREME SD.

I wouldn't have expected you to understand. 

Extreme social distancing measures for me would be shutting down restaurants, not allowing people to attend funerals, shut downs imposed by the government, no in class schools for children etc.   

Practicing common sense measures would be wear masks indoors in public places, 6 feet rule, space out restaurant seating , no indoor gatherings in close quarters of massive amounts of people, washing hands, sanitizer etc.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Magox said:

I wouldn't have expected you to understand. 

Extreme social distancing measures for me would be shutting down restaurants, not allowing people to attend funerals, shut downs imposed by the government, no in class schools for children etc.   

Practicing common sense measures would be wear masks indoors in public places, 6 feet rule, space out restaurant seating , no indoor gatherings in close quarters of massive amounts of people, washing hands, sanitizer etc.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Additional testing at this stage of the game is overrated.   I told you and whoever else months ago that contact tracing is largely useless at this stage of the game because prevalency was out of control and that the baseline of infected was too high.  You guys argued, I made my point and now we see who was right.  

We see what happens with inadequate testing, rapid reopening, social distancing/mask skepticism, and minimal contact tracing. Congratulations: With all of those things, cases went up and we did not get on top of things.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

The virus just needs to play out,

The feds didn't unite the country in a plan, states decided not to follow the CDC guidelines, and we now have little choice but to just let it run. Good "plan."

1 hour ago, Magox said:

But the deleterious effects of extreme social distancing has costs far greater than COVID-19 does and those effects will continue to play out well beyond the worst of COVID-19 hitting us.   

Yes. A united effort would have made things much better. The division sowed around this disease was largely avoidable. 

1 hour ago, Magox said:

What I talked about months ago, still stands today.  Protect the most vulnerable, practice some common sense precautionary measures and reopen the economy fully.   

You start a lot of sentences taking credit for pretty obvious statements. You also take credit for making predictions you didn't actually make, as I quoted a few weeks ago. Humility is OK in a pandemic, though I know muscling up on a message board, especially this one, is the preferred posture. I can do it too but what's the point except to make yourself feel better.