Josh needs to work on the fumbling

On 1/5/2020 at 12:55 PM, UConn James said:

Whatever Josh Allen is going to do in this offseason with Palmer, et al. he’s gotta put some emphasis on his grip or lack thereof on the football.

Yesterday’s fumble came at a key point and the replay showed that the defender didn’t even touch the ball, it just dropped out of Josh’s hand like the hot potato of metaphor.

The looseness with ball security has been an ongoing issue this season. He gets in trouble, gets pressured and becomes clumsy with his grip. That may be the Number 1 issue that he has to work on that is a weakness entirely his own, imo. 

This is incorrect.  D-Dawk whiffs on any block of Mercilus, and Mercilus gets a hand on it.  Kubiak point it out in his column.

Edit: the broadcasters even pointed it out

image.thumb.png.a49ab4da6c39e57f6c58f9cc7732ccf4.png

On 1/5/2020 at 1:55 PM, UConn James said:

Whatever Josh Allen is going to do in this offseason with Palmer, et al. he’s gotta put some emphasis on his grip or lack thereof on the football.

Yesterday’s fumble came at a key point and the replay showed that the defender didn’t even touch the ball, it just dropped out of Josh’s hand like the hot potato of metaphor.

The looseness with ball security has been an ongoing issue this season. He gets in trouble, gets pressured and becomes clumsy with his grip. That may be the Number 1 issue that he has to work on that is a weakness entirely his own, imo. 

Probably the biggest thing that he can improve on. Especially if RPOs are going to be a big part of the offense. 

The thread title reminded me of when my former employer mandated that all employees attend, and I quote, "sexual harassment training."

Prior to that, it never occurred to me to sexually harass someone, but now that I have the skills ...

7 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I won't disagree with that he needs to be better at securing the ball while he runs. On this particular play; however, I do not fault him. He is moving up in the pocket toward the LOS. He is in the process of deciding to run or throw and is looking downfield. He is holding the ball appropriately to throw a pass if he sees a receiver open. Beasley is breaking free from a defender and, in the video below, you can see Allen looking in that direction and it appears he is looking to make the throw as Mercilus' hand comes through and tips the bottom of the ball. You can see Allen's arm continuing to rise after the ball comes out as if he is getting ready to throw.

I'm sorry, I just don't find a lot of fault with Allen on this play. It was a great play by Mercilus to get his fingertips on the ball. 

I agree with what you are saying happened on this play.  I said the same thing when it happened, that Josh had not committed to running yet and had the ball in his one hand still looking downfield.  

However, I think the learning point for Allen on this play is that he needs to have both hands on the ball when he is vulnerable like this after having left the pocket. He can take a blind side or back side hit at any moment given he is looking down field.  He has to instinctively be able to secure the ball more in his critical situation.  

Honestly, where he was on the field I think he should have just committed to running, the lane was there.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree with what you are saying happened on this play.  I said the same thing when it happened, that Josh had not committed to running yet and had the ball in his one hand still looking downfield.  

However, I think the learning point for Allen on this play is that he needs to have both hands on the ball when he is vulnerable like this after having left the pocket. He can take a blind side or back side hit at any moment given he is looking down field.  He has to instinctively be able to secure the ball more in his critical situation.  

Honestly, where he was on the field I think he should have just committed to running, the lane was there.  

I agree. I think he waited a second too long. He should have tucked the ball and run. This play shows what he needs to work on and also what I love about him. He is always looking to make a play and I love that - and I don't want him to lose that.  He has actually shown tremendous instincts in the pocket, however, he needs to be more secure with the ball when he is doing that, and, sometimes, he needs to just take what is presented to him. 

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I agree. I think he waited a second too long. He should have tucked the ball and run. This play shows what he needs to work on and also what I love about him. He is always looking to make a play and I love that - and I don't want him to lose that.  He has actually shown tremendous instincts in the pocket, however, he needs to be more secure with the ball when he is doing that, and, sometimes, he needs to just take what is presented to him. 

Agree on all accounts :)

• Like (+1) 1

Get this man a grip master, and a grip strength program. I've been calling for this since week 1.

I know, I know, it's obvious. OBVIOUSLY it wasn't obvious to him and or the coaches because it didn't get better as the season went along.  I'd be more than happy to send him one. Just saying.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I won't disagree with that he needs to be better at securing the ball while he runs. On this particular play; however, I do not fault him. He is moving up in the pocket toward the LOS. He is in the process of deciding to run or throw and is looking downfield. He is holding the ball appropriately to throw a pass if he sees a receiver open. Beasley is breaking free from a defender and, in the video below, you can see Allen looking in that direction and it appears he is looking to make the throw as Mercilus' hand comes through and tips the bottom of the ball. You can see Allen's arm continuing to rise after the ball comes out as if he is getting ready to throw.

I'm sorry, I just don't find a lot of fault with Allen on this play. It was a great play by Mercilus to get his fingertips on the ball. 

Not only that, but as I broke down in another thread with screenshots, Allen stepped up to avoid Mercilus who was being blocked by 1) Kroft 2) Singletary 3) D Dawk

And why do we feel it's a great idea to put a TE on a great Edge

All 3 whiffed, D Dawk because he didn't realize Allen had stepped up.

I think a QB can be excused for believing that between a TE, an RB, and his starting LT he should not be being blindsided by a single defender.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not only that, but as I broke down in another thread with screenshots, Allen stepped up to avoid Mercilus who was being blocked by 1) Kroft 2) Singletary 3) D Dawk

And why do we feel it's a great idea to put a TE on a great Edge

All 3 whiffed, D Dawk because he didn't realize Allen had stepped up.

I think a QB can be excused for believing that between a TE, an RB, and his starting LT he should not be being blindsided by a single defender.

Right. We know why they have coaches film. You really need to slow plays down, to look at them from different angles, and to do it after the emotions of the game have subsided. I have gone over every play in this game, both the broadcast version and the All 22,  a number of times. There were so many breakdowns of execution in this game, and I can name four, off the top of my head, that almost certainly would have changed the outcome of this game.

I will say, in breaking down every one of Allen's plays, there were moments I thought to myself, "WTF are you thinking?," there were moments I thought to myself, "Wow, this kid is special," and many moments of something in between. However, there were no moments where I thought he just doesn't have what it takes, that he doesn't have the "football IQ, or that he cannot take his game to the next level. 

A tough game because they could have, and probably should have, won the game. There were so many execution breakdowns in the fourth quarter and OT - with plenty of blame to go around. But, it is completely fixable. There is a good foundation to this team and I am looking forward to seeing what pieces they add in the off-season. I am not a Daboll hater; however, I do think, there are some serious questions there. My guess is he will be back and we will have to see.

I am optimistic about next year. But, whatever the outcome, at the end of it, I believe we will have a more difinitive picture of what this team has in Beane, the coaching staff, and Allen.