17 points again - McD says he wants 21, but certainly doesn't play that way

Billsfan1972

Three straight weeks & 17 points....  Can say whatever he wants, but this team only scores over 17 by accident.

Three straight games < 300 yards (total).  Maybe I should get off the 300 yard passing thread & ask for 300 yards in total Offense!!!!?  

Last week vs. Pitt they turtled prior to the half up 7-3 and gave the ball back twice to Pitt in the fourth by running up the middle.  The first series vs. NE already in fg range they ran 5 straight plays & then finally throw the ball on a 3rd & long where there is no choice.

Watch NE mix up plays, easy check downs, screens & a clean pocket almost the entire game (and a their offense has been one of the worst since November).  

The Bills threw it 25 times yesterday (9 in the last drive).  They came out & set the tone in the first half and then after going up 17-13 & forcing a 3 & out, ran the ball three straight times giving the Patriots the ball back.

The offense is so uninspiring, so little creativity & a coach that can say all he wants, but in reality wants no turnovers & to play the game close to the vest & between the 20's. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Virgil said:

Didn’t we also just face the top 3 defenses in the NFL each week?

The only thing I’ll agree with are the vanilla three and outs where everyone in the starfish knows what’s coming 

No excuse for three straight weeks....  Others are able to amass yards vs. NE, Pitt & Balt......  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Three straight weeks & 17 points....  Can say whatever he wants, but this team only scores over 17 by accident.

Three straight games < 300 yards (total).  Maybe I should get off the 300 yard passing thread & ask for 300 yards in total Offense!!!!?  

Last week vs. Pitt they turtled prior to the half up 7-3 and gave the ball back twice to Pitt in the fourth by running up the middle.  The first series vs. NE already in fg range they ran 5 straight plays & then finally throw the ball on a 3rd & long where there is no choice.

Watch NE mix up plays, easy check downs, screens & a clean pocket almost the entire game (and a their offense has been one of the worst since November).  

The Bills threw it 25 times yesterday (9 in the last drive).  They came out & set the tone in the first half and then after going up 17-13 & forcing a 3 & out, ran the ball three straight times giving the Patriots the ball back.

The offense is so uninspiring, so little creativity & a coach that can say all he wants, but in reality wants no turnovers & to play the game close to the vest & between the 20's. 

Right there at that Moment I know the Bills were going to lose this game.  They went into their Shell and wanted to let the defense win it and it cost us (they were getting carved all game).  And it is a good thing Duck Hodges was so bad because that same mentality almost cost them last week too.

They went from playing fearless against Dallas to back into their play not to lose shell.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, CardinalScotts said:

lol we are playing some pretty good defenses how the hell we lose sight of that is hilarious.

Calm down this game will have no affect in the playoffs nor will the Jet game

I disagree , the coaching staff has shown no signs of changing the philosophy of playing not to lose.  We routinely sit on small leads and we take no chances on defense The skill guys on offense are not exceptional and the  O line is not stout enough to win playing this bland scheme.  Maybe against softer opponents.  This defense has zero scores this year ZERO!!!!!!  That tells me we dont get after the qb.  Bills have a whopping 6 tds that didnt come from Josh Allen  Seriously what coach says he's looking for 21 pts!!

• Like (+1) 2

I freaking hate Daboll.  The offensive play calling lacks creativity to put it nicely.  There is no rhyme, rhythm, or reason to the plays he calls.  He just sporadically calls garbage.  People wonder why we can't get into an offensive rhythm then look no further than the play calls.   I would take Chan Gailey over this guy any day.  The dude was a bad head coach, had no defense, and had a noodle arm QB (I love Fitz though) but he could call plays.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I freaking hate Daboll.  The offensive play calling lacks creativity to put it nicely.  There is no rhyme, rhythm, or reason to the plays he calls.  He just sporadically calls garbage.  People wonder why we can't get into an offensive rhythm then look no further than the play calls.   I would take Chan Gailey over this guy any day.  The dude was a bad head coach, had no defense, and had a noodle arm QB (I love Fitz though) but he could call plays.

would McD allow him to call those plays if he or someone like Chan was the OC here??

When you play really good Ds with strong pass rushers, I think the philosophy is to try to establish the run, run at the pass rush, and neutralize the jail breaks. make some key pass plays when you need to, and otherwise let your D win the game. That’s the philosophy. 

if they were playing some lesser defenses, I think you’d see a more aggressive gameplan. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

would McD allow him to call those plays if he or someone like Chan was the OC here??

I really don't know.  What I do know is I can't stand Daboll.  I think he is terrible.  People can say execution/Josh.  They are correct as well. At some point though, an offensive system has to have some semblance of reason.  This one doesn't.  At some point Daboll has to help these guys out.  He does not.  

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I really don't know.  What I do know is I can't stand Daboll.  I think he is terrible.  People can say execution/Josh.  They are correct as well. At some point though, an offensive system has to have some semblance of reason.  This one doesn't.  At some point Daboll has to help these guys out.  He does not.  

And McD has NOTHING to do with that right?  I would beg to differ. When McD said play fearless look what happened to this offense. And now it has regressed back into its shell again. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s frustrating, but we also (myself included) have to remember that we have a 2nd year QB, behind an average OL, with a rookie RT who may be better suited at G, a rookie RB, rookie TE and two good WRs.  

By NFL standards, that’s an offense that will struggle against elite defenses.  

I think the issue we all have is that when they let Josh make plays, post Pats game 1, he usually does, yet we play so conservative.   

I’m willing to hold off constantly criticizing an otherwise phenomenal coaching staff until we see what this offense looks like next year with the presumed upgrades. 

That being said, our coaching staff held back Allen more than the Pats did last night. Our offensive gameplan was incredibly vanilla, doing our QB zero favors with constantly conceding 2nd and 9 every possession. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And McD has NOTHING to do with that right?  I would beg to differ. When McD said play fearless look what happened to this offense. And now it has regressed back into its shell again. 

Im sure McD does play a role.  I am sure he is the one to say... go conservative here or get aggressive here.  Its hard for me to put what I feel into words here, but lets say they are in conservative mode... does that really mean to bang your running back into the teeth of the defense twice and then try to pick up a first on 3rd and long?  Could he not design some short 3 -5 yard routes on first or second down?  Could he not run a jet sweep anymore?  Does it have to be bang your RB up the middle when a stout D knows its coming?  That's just one example.

Look at what the Pats did last night.  They weren't necessarily aggressive.  They dink and dunked down the field on long drives.  We cant do that?

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

I wish he would've gone for it on 4th and inches with 3:00 in the 3rd just after Allen's was stopped short on the keeper.

Granted, Bills were at their own 37 but at some point you have to be aggressive and let your players win the game.

That was the turning point in the game. 

Edited by Wayne Arnold
  • Like (+1) 1

Ravens, Steelers, Patriots.....three of the better Defenses out there.    While the Bills O is not complete they have been OK, they have not turned it over and hurt the team in other ways.   The offense is still a work in progress, we can't forget that, more pieces are needed and more progress by Allen is needed.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Im sure McD does play a role.  I am sure he is the one to say... go conservative here or get aggressive here.  Its hard for me to put what I feel into words here, but lets say they are in conservative mode... does that really mean to bang your running back into the teeth of the defense twice and then try to pick up a first on 3rd and long?  Could he not design some short 3 -5 yard routes on first or second down?  Could he not run a jet sweep anymore?  Does it have to be bang your RB up the middle when a stout D knows its coming?  That's just one example.

Look at what the Pats did last night.  They weren't necessarily aggressive.  They dink and dunked down the field on long drives.  We cant do that?

that would require putting the Ball into your QBs hands. They didn’t want to do that. It was very clear and has been very clear. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I wish he would've gone for it on 4th and inches with 3:00 in the 3rd just after Allen's was stopped short on the keeper.

Granted, Bills were at their own 37 but at some point you have to be aggressive and let your players win the game.

That was the turning point in the game. 

After punting the ball back to Brady, it took just three snaps for the Patriots to get to the Bills 38 where Pats would have gotten it even if the Bills failed to convert on 4th and inches.

One play after that they were inside the Bills 15.

Let your players play.

• Like (+1) 1