Source of Devin's fumbling troubles

Wiz

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, he has the highest fumbling rate in the nfl, and by a significant percentage ...

He has to do a better job securing the ball - it is not just the how hard the Steelers try to punch it out (that is some of it), but it is a lack of ball security discipline and he needs to get better with it.

It is not college out there, you cannot run around with the ball in one hand. In the NFL a lot of the good backs will start with two hands around the ball - especially behind the LOS or when trying to cut back till they can break out into the open. It is not something that is too hard to learn, but the good ones sense when they are in traffic and do the right things to protect the ball and know when they are free to secure it with just one arm and turn on the jets. You make sure you wrap it up with both hands again when getting tackled. The toughest thing is getting it punched out from behind, hard to defend that other than if you are going to slow up to juke some defenders downfield you may want to assume there are guys closing in behind you.

Allen does this too, where he carries the ball too loosely and often will not wrap it up when going to the ground and that is why the ball will fly out of his hand so often when getting tackled. The other fundamental is shifting the ball away from defenders, if running down the sideline, good running backs will shift the ball to the sideline side away from defenders.

Just some basic things, but we know the Patriots will see those loose holds on the ball and will be looking to exploit that same thing to get turnovers to help Brady by gifting him a short field where he will not have to strain his noodle arm.

Allen has big hands is 6’5” 240 & fumbles all the time. Not sure it’s a hand size thing. I think most fumbling is extra effort & not going down. TJ Watt was punching everything in sight & missed on & Allen run and nearly ended his reproductive career. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

RBs with at least 100 rushing attempts this year...

image.thumb.png.1f983772b3d8ae6ebc6bfd40e6c6f8da.png

How much of a bust has Alvin Kamara been this year? Yikes

I'm not too worried about Devin, yet. As others have said that Watt play was great, and I assume it's contributing to the rate here. If it continues though who do we turn to? Gore and Yeldon? Yeldon has had some serious fumble issues in the past himself, but I guess it may be worth seeing him a bit more over these next couple of games. This team really needs another RB.

20 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

He doesnt have a fumbling problem... Steelers are just that good at forcing turnovers... its probably their biggest strength as a football team

Fumbled twice vs Miami too.

Highest fumble rate in the NFL with 100+ carries.

Right now it's a problem. But he could easily call Vanilla Ice and solve it.