Star Trek passages

RochesterRob

Actor Robert Walker Jr who played the title character in "Charlie X."  I watched the episode within the last month again and was struck as to how good the 26 year old Walker played a very unsure of himself 17 year old Charlie.  From an acting family (Robert Walker, Sr and Jennifer Jones) his other big claim to fame was playing a hippy living in a commune in 1969's Easy Rider.  He was 79.

Writer DC Fontana who wrote a few ST episodes and forged into to what was up to that point a male dominated profession.  She was 80.

Aw, hell.  Dorothy Fontana died?  She, as much as Roddenberry, created Star Trek - she wrote the entire backstory for Spock and Vulcan.  

Side note: she's credited as "DC Fontana" because she couldn't get work as "Dorothy," and had to user her initials.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

And the sitcom Benson.

I saw the MASH movie back in the mid-1970's on television and while I remember Father Mulcahy I never put the same actor together with his work on Benson and other projects until much later in time.  This is a compliment to the actor as he can change gears effortlessly and still deliver quality performances.  Contrast this with Jack Nicholson who takes the mantra "make the character your own" way too seriously.  While we are talking DS9 I have a similar observation for Auberjonois' co-star Andrew Robinson who played the Scorpio character in the first Dirty Harry  movie among other roles.  So good as Garak and used just sparingly enough that a viewer always waited anxiously for his next appearance in anticipation of what he would do which is good drama.

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

RW Jr was king of the one-appearance guest star on top TV shows...

Back when the phrase ‘a Quinn Martin Production’ struck fear in the hearts of the bad guys.  While we’re on the subject, how unhappy a childhood did Irwin Allen have to have to keep reminding everyone it was ‘Irwin Allen’s Towering Inferno’?

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

RW Jr was king of the one-appearance guest star on top TV shows...

Most of it I would attribute to his less than leading man looks.  At least he did not implode unlike members of his own family and other actors who can't handle the stresses of the profession.  For the most part he seems to have lived a well adjusted life after his acting career tapered off.  Your fellow Canadian the great John Colicos once observed what amounts to if life hands you lemons then you make lemon aid.  Which is to say he never let his self observed lack of leading man looks deter his passion for acting.  He played villains often and was great doing it.  Just in the last week one his greatest efforts aired with him playing the first Klingon on ST.

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Only noted this week was Aaron Eisenberg’s passing in September at age 50.  He was ‘Nog’ in DS9, the young Ferengi who entered Starfleet.

I remember it back in September but did not think to note it.  Given that none of the people associated with the franchise are getting younger this thread will get dusted off every now and then.  Shatner just divorced wife number 4 by the way which is not the same thing but still news.  Passage of his most recent marriage if you will.

• 1 month later...

Add Marj Dusay to the list.  She is (in)famously known as the "Brain and Brain.  What is Brain?" woman from the campy episode Spock's Brain.  Actually rather attractive and well costumed for SB.  Did a lot of 1960's and 1970's television.  She was 83.

Edited by RochesterRob

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Kirk > Picard

That's all I know.  Beam me back up Scotty, my work is done here.

Oh... We now have this:

EPFEl2jWoAIWbam?format=jpg&name=small

If Roddenberry was still around the lawsuit would have already been filed for copyright infringement.  Not so much over politics but he was quite money grubbing.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd love to see a Star Trek 4 movie with Chris Pine as Kirk and the rest of the younger crew.  I read that they were going to do one despite the death of the kid that played Chekov, but Pine halted it because he wanted too much $$$.

I always preferred Star Trek over Star Wars but never cared for the Piccard one or the the others.

I'm actually really enjoying the new Picard series.  It's much darker than a typical Star Trek series and the story line is richly complex.  Lots of fun easter eggs in the dialog as well as the scenery.  It plays more like a movie than a TV series, and definitely has me thinking about what will happen next.  

On 1/29/2020 at 7:23 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Kirk > Picard

Mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all.  So I'm actually going to pay you a compliment.  You are if anything, consistent

consistently wrong

• Haha (+1) 1