Some Panthers fans' views on McDermott/Beane

technobot

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Using a late 1st isn’t close to being as bad as using multiple 1sts and trading up in a deep WR class. 

Oh I thought you were arguing the opposite, especially after you said some Bills fans wanted to give up the 9th overall for Benjamin. I think we actually agree as I said almost as bad as the Watkins pick, meaning I view the Watkins pick as a bigger bust. We can argue over how "close" they are but the bottom line is they were both busts. I guess in Watkins case, he's at least still playing and even managed to somehow get a big contract still on his second deal despite not living up to expectations as a #1. Shows how physically gifted he is I guess but too bad he doesn't check off the other boxes.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Panthers D wasn't as good WITH McDermott the year after the Superbowl loss.  Went from #6 to #26. 

Not sure why.  Newton/Offense might be a big part actually.  Went from #7 in the league with 19 TO to #27 in the league with 29.

If the other team got TD off 1/2 of those 10 turnovers, that's enough to move a team from #27 to #15 right there.

If I remember correctly, the year after the 15-1 season, they had TERRIBLE corners. They let Josh Norman walk in FA and I can’t remember who was on the other side... but I seem to recall the narrative around Charlotte was just how bad their secondary was talent-wise. Most panther fans thought McDermott did a great job with what the FO gave him to work with....

19 hours ago, technobot said:

It's interesting to see what other fans, specifically Carolina fans, might think about our head coach/GM combo:

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/160812-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane/

Their fans sound like some of the people on this board who lament for former coaches and players!

Why would Beane go back to Carolina?  I get that he’s a N.C. native and all but they had multiple chances to hire and they passed him over.  

Also he has a very good deal going in Buffalo.  There’s a good chance he will make the playoffs 2 out of 3 years, with a franchise that failed to make the playoffs in 2 decades.  

Finally, he is nearly the completion of, what is mostly, a successful rebuild.  He has personally signed or drafted every player on the team and it seems they are headed in the right directions.

Carolina is a team which looks to be turning the page on its “franchise” QB.  Why start a new rebuild when the one your currently working on is in good shape?

24 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I can't see McDermott leaving or wanting to leave. Beane I could see especially since I think he grew up there.

With that said money always talks and pegula isn't going to let them walk. So unless each of there families is absolutely miserable in buffalo. They ain't going anywhere

They are under contract with Buffalo.  They are not going to be released to move back to Carolina if they want to.

But again, if they want to, they are not the people they told us they are.

13 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I have followed Carolina quite a bit it’s my nephews favorite team. Some of those guys are right, they screwed up big time letting Beane and mcdermott out the door. The biggest issue in Carolina has and probably always will be they never have depth. Rivera was very very good at developing talent and “no names” Carolina has churned out a decent amount of offensive linemen who were drafted super late or not at all. For years and years though they just have no depth. 
Add in the fact that they invested money in players always at the wrong time. D’Angelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Charles Johnson, they paid these guys big money contracts after their decline started. Look at some of the current contracts on the team and they are paying good money to some unproductive players which everyone does, but it kills the team when you have a quarterback not on a rookie deal. Also Kuechly and his concussions have been rough. They attempted to switch to a 3-4 this year and I’m still not sure why,  they didn’t have the personnel for it. Also their secondary has been mostly trash for like 10 years. Josh Norman was the one anomaly and we can probably think our coach mcd for Norman’s limited success. We are spoiled with Poyer and Hyde. Anyone bored go look at the Carolina safeties for the last 10 years!! A revolving door of past their prime veterans and guys who probably won’t be in the league very long. 

YUP agree on safeties, they’ve been crap but they develop good corners, Norman was an All Pro and they have a guy right now in Bradberry they really like. 

My brother is a big Panthers fan. He says they had a very weird run with Hurney’s first go round because the guy can draft but was absolutely clueless w contracts, hence paying two RBs. Then with all the good picks they fired him and brought in Gettleman to sort out the salary cap and during that sweet spot they became contenders using the best qualities of the two respective GMs.

McD figures in, Kuechly/Davis and Newton obviously, but don’t discount Lotulelei’s impact on that defense. You can draw a line between his arrival in Carolina with their defensive success and their immediate regression w/his departure, and the same is true for our defense when he arrived.

• Like (+1) 1