The Impeachment Trial of President Donald J. Trump

Nanker

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

We elect one person as President. I couldn’t give a rats butt about the opinions of those around him. Sure, I’d like them to like him, but I have no expectation that they agree with him on everything. What should happen is a moratorium on selling Insider books until The President is out of office! In the world of social media and 24 hour news there’s too much money to be made selling tell all memoirs.

This is the effect of social media 24/7 with no time for composure after undergoing strong feelings.  Can you the imagine the public impression of such administrations such as Reagan with Alexander Haig or JFK with Robert McNamara if they could readily emote to the American public?

13 hours ago, Rob's House said:

This, along with what appears to be unanimous acceptance from the left, proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that this is all a partisan witch hunt.

They claim we need to hear "the truth," but are happy to have the truth silenced when it's inconvenient to their agenda.

They claim to be so pious that the slightest hint of impropriety must be met with the most extreme measures provided by law, yet cover their ears (and yours) and shriek when strong evidence of actual corruption by their ally (and presumptive Presidential nominee) is revealed.

They claim we must leave no stone unturned after months of investigation has yielded next to nothing. Yet they actively resist any investigation into, or even consideration of, something we know happened and for which they have no explanation, and then have the audacity to scream "cover up" when the rules that have always been followed are not subverted for them to engage in trial by ambush.

In one case guilt may be inferred from the flimsiest evidence based on conjecture as to what they assume the President might well have thought. In the other, a mountain of evidence of clear corruption can be summarily brushed away by an offhand statement to the effect of "nothing to see here".

It's the most blatant and transparent case of selective prosecution, faux outrage, and yes, abuse of power I've seen in my lifetime.

I had assumed from the very start that impeachment was more about posturing in advance of the 2020 election rather than a sincere attempt to remove Trump from office.  Its a gambit, since Trump will rub it in their faces and grandstand if he makes it out of this process without suffering any big blows but if the Dems can drag this out and dominate the messaging/media then expect to hear the talking point of "one of only 3 presidents in history to be impeached.  How can you re-elect someone who was nearly removed from office?".

I could be wildly off base since I don't actually pay attention but that is my line of thinking.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I had assumed from the very start that impeachment was more about posturing in advance of the 2020 election rather than a sincere attempt to remove Trump from office.  Its a gambit, since Trump will rub it in their faces and grandstand if he makes it out of this process without suffering any big blows but if the Dems can drag this out and dominate the messaging/media then expect to hear the talking point of "one of only 3 presidents in history to be impeached.  How can you re-elect someone who was nearly removed from office?".

I could be wildly off base since I don't actually pay attention but that is my line of thinking.

Trump has a number of positive points including a surging stock market.  Like any President the negatives are there including the national debt.  He just got done with a major trade negotiation with China that should keep the economy buoyed well after November of this year.  Had Nixon (who resigned in part to avoid impeachment) been eligible for a third term in 1976 he would have had great difficulties in winning due to massive inflation, rising food prices, and gas rationing.

Edited by RochesterRob

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Trump has to vet his people better.  They all seem to backstab him on the way out.  Also, why Trump just didn't say that he temporarily delayed the aid to investigate corruption in Ukraine including Burisma right away is beyond me.  Denying it right away like he did just makes it harder on his defense team and the purple state GOP Senators.

I suspect Trump's management style has something to do with people being angry going out the door. 

2 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

Reminder: Trump hired Bolton

It was a bad hire the day it happened. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I suspect Trump's management style has something to do with people being angry going out the door. 

Which was always the risk, yet people are surprised at his style.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If you're an independant or undecided, I think that's the point.  How can we re-elect someone who was nearly removed from office (in a highly partisan proceeding where the opposition sets the rules, and much of the dirty work is handled behind the curtain)? 

Fair question, and that seems to be the dems angle. I would hope that independent-minded people would look at the totality of the events of the past 4 years...realize this isn't politics as usual, it was an attempt to undo the election results. 

Team Trump will be aggressive in the messaging, there certainly is ample evidence for independents to at least consider that likely. 

In addition, the wild card is any declass-related info that might come out after the Durham review.  Many are skeptical that anything will come of it, I'm hopeful that wrongdoing is revealed. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

It was a bad hire the day it happened. 

Yes, yes it was. I remember at the time shaking my head like the AFLAC duck and thinking "that's a marriage made in hell". 

On 1/25/2020 at 7:05 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

1. I would like to thank you all for sharing recaps, opinions, and clips. We are on vacation and missing all this.  

2. While reading TBD on my phone I am not signed. That means I get to see all the "contributors" I have blocked. And, seeing their contributing gems, that just reconfirms why I blocked them in the first place. Oy. Also, is there an APB out on Tibs? Does he just have the day off, or has that sweet-Soros cash run out? 

3. WTF would anyone who is against the MSM and Democrats (BIRM) want President Trump to stop tweeting? If you have not figured out four years in that what he tweets (yes, even the insults) have a reason for being tweeted, well, I cannot help you.

4. Sounds like Schiffy finally had his perfidy exposed in the Congressional record. Good. The man is the worst kind of political slime (and as someone with Chuckie as my state's Senator, I can easily spot political slime).  That some are still taking what he says as fact is simply incredible to me.    

As a fellow NY'er, let me ask the choir for a prolonged Amen!

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

That's definitely what this is about. A few of them have all but admitted it. It doesn't seem to be working out for them though.

I keep wondering if there's another act to this play (maybe the Bolton thing?) because this seems like an obvious unforced error. A real dumbass move.

It's kind of mind boggling. These are people who had the intelligence and instincts to put themselves in positions of immense power, but they keep stepping on their own landmines. They're calling the game from the Wile E. Coyote playbook.

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

These are people who had the intelligence and instincts to put themselves in positions of immense power

Unless you realize they probably didn't and were more likely installed by their corporate and deep state overlords because they would be easily controlled.

27 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

What a sound bite.

Not if you consider her audience.  This is a woman who has lied her entire lift while climbing onto the shoulders of others she claims to be to get pretty much everything she has.  You'd think after watching that approach fail the country so much in the form of Obama, leftists would rethink their support of her.

But no.

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Shades of Harry Reid lying to Congress about Romney's taxes.

Will it work again like it did with Romney? 

Doubtful. Trump ain't Romney.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like (+1) 3