THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - The Answer

Shaw66

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I've seen a lot of crap officiating over the years but it's never been as blatantly home cooked as it was yesterday. I had a feeling the NFL would try to make it up to Dallas after the phantom tripping calls last week. This is partly why yesterday's win felt so special to me. We didn't just take down the Cowboys, we took down the entire NFL, not to mention all the people that said our record was a mirage. Only lifelong Bills fans can understand what this win means.

Couldn't agree more. I'm happy that everyone I know (I live in Charlotte now) got a chance to see how good this team really is. Kind of excited to get back to work Monday. Ha.

This win means more than any win that I can think of in my life. I'm 29 and while I was technically alive in the super bowl years, I don't remember them. I can literally say that this is the most meaningful Bills win of my life.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Part Favre, part Rodgers.   If he gets to free agency, will the Bills be bidding against the Packers?

If he ever makes it to FA, I'll question my Bills fanhood.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MTBill said:

Like you - that instant the snap was muffed, I went right to the sad-sack Bill's feelings...  Then watched in awe as Allen pulled it out of the pile - and finally broke free to get the first down.

I think Josh Allen is re-defining Billsy

That's the uncoachable thing about Josh Allen - the fact that when there's a miscue and you might think it's over, he can  "level up" and tap some inner reservoir of sheer unadulterated Football Willpower and just Make It Work.

You think his guys wouldn't run through a brick wall for him, just set up a brick wall and wear your steeltoes.

15 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

That was a terrible call too.  His hand was on the top of his shoulder pads in the neck area.  I felt the crew was Dallas leaning.  The refs imo kept the game from becoming a blow out.

No doubt. NFL couldn't have people turning the game off in the second quarter. Had to keep people tuned in

37 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

For the life of me, I can't see why the Cowboys pass so much. I guess everyone feels like they have to abandon the run (except Greg Roman) because that's how the "21st century offense" works. That's stupid. They have 3 guys at or near all-pro level on their OL and arguably one of the top 3 RB's in the NFL. They should be running the ball a LOT more, even if they are behind by a score or 2 in the 3rd Q.

This is the main reason why all the talking heads today on ESPN were saying Garrett should be fired. Stopping the run is the one weakness of the Buffalo defense and you have all this money invested in the O-Line and Zeke, and he doesn't hardly touch the ball at all in the second half?

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

His throws on the run were pin-point accurate. Like Rodgers throwing on the run. It was super-impressive. I had non-Bills fans watching with me who hadn't really seen Allen play and they were commenting on that. People are taking notice of this kid. He's a star. 

He reminds me of a mix between Favre and Rodgers. Biggest competitor on the field, but super calm and collected.

There was one he made on a 3rd and 4 to Foster in the second half that was just unbelievable. On the run, put the ball on a rope. 

The 4th down run by Allen WAS the play of the game. It may also be the play of the season, and even of Allen's Bills career.

Maybe it was just me, but I felt like that play, with the stakes so high in the Bills national "prove it" game, really set a tone for this team that will last.  Star and Beasley had some interesting comments after the game, basically about being willing to follow Allen into any battle without question or hesitation.  That play seems like the kind that every teammate would see and challenge themselves to live up to.

Josh Allen is a true leader.  Like everyone, I had something in my eye during that pre-game segment on Kelly.  Allen reminds me of him in a lot of ways.  

12 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I agree that the Bills are a good football team.  However, I think they were beneficiaries of a schedule that was overloaded with weak teams early in the schedule.  Their offense was not particularly good in September.  They had nine new starters and Josh Allen was still, for all intents and purposes a rookie.  They had some talent, but they were not yet a cohesive, quality offense.  They won a lot of games because they did have a solid defense and because they had a weak schedule.  What that allowed them to do was to pile up enough wins to be a playoff contender while their offense was developing.  Fast forward to November: Buffalo's completely overhauled offensive line has learned to play together.  Josh Allen is making few mistakes and acting like a veteran.  He has chemistry with John Brown and Cole Beasley and the offense is starting to get solid contributions from Devin Singletary, and to a lesser extent Dawson Knox and Robert Foster.  In essence, they have grown into their record.  ESPN gives them a 95%  chance of making the playoffs.  I think they have a reasonable chance of making it out of wild card weekend still alive.  After that, we'll see.

Pretty much exactly what New England does every season. Gel as the season goes on.

Tried reading this at 2am and several beers but couldn't get through it because I was so frigging giddy and excited for the recap, I just couldn't concentrate.  I've had so many Philly fans thank me in the past day and a half, it's surreal.  This game was something special

18 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I agree that the Bills are a good football team.  However, I think they were beneficiaries of a schedule that was overloaded with weak teams early in the schedule.  Their offense was not particularly good in September.  They had nine new starters and Josh Allen was still, for all intents and purposes a rookie.  They had some talent, but they were not yet a cohesive, quality offense.  They won a lot of games because they did have a solid defense and because they had a weak schedule.  What that allowed them to do was to pile up enough wins to be a playoff contender while their offense was developing.  Fast forward to November: Buffalo's completely overhauled offensive line has learned to play together.  Josh Allen is making few mistakes and acting like a veteran.  He has chemistry with John Brown and Cole Beasley and the offense is starting to get solid contributions from Devin Singletary, and to a lesser extent Dawson Knox and Robert Foster.  In essence, they have grown into their record.  ESPN gives them a 95%  chance of making the playoffs.  I think they have a reasonable chance of making it out of wild card weekend still alive.  After that, we'll see.

I think you are on point, but are missing an aspect.  The Bills were not this good early in the season........ Young players, a new offensive line, a smart strong QB learning how to take care of the football and when to take risks and how to read defenses, Ford and Oliver rookies were pieces in place, but they were inexperienced pieces....We have now had 2/3 of a NFL season and these pieces have had their on-the-job training against weaker teams......... They managed to win (just!) those games (keeping us in the hunt) and now have those mistakes and errors trained out of them.  We now can take on much better teams and have better performance- not just potential........ The schedule has been our friend in development.

15 hours ago, Bring it said:

I’m not sure what a “signature win” really is but yesterday’s game will help this team infinitely more than just in the win column. They now know or at least should know what level they need to play at to compete with the elite. Not saying that Dallas is elite, although they have some elite players. But the Bills out executed the Cowboys! They know how a team needs to play to be elite because they did it! I know sounds corny but it’s like riding a bike. You haven’t done it until you actually do and of course you don’t forget!

There will still be bumps in the road. More to learn and mistakes to make but yesterday this team took a giant step toward being a perennial contender; a force. This took place with many of the players but no one more key to this franchises future than Josh Allen!!

That great throw down the sideline on the run was to Foster. How about Allen’s throw on the run from our end zone to Beasley?? They were beautiful!!

I was just rereading your first paragraph, and the point about riding bike is excellent.  You have a different kind of confidence once you're up on a bike. 

It's the difference between true confidence, self-assurance, and just swagger.   Swagger is a pose, a behavior that someone adopts to tell the world he's good (whether he's good or not).   Someone with confidence might have swagger, too, but someone with confidence no longer has internal doubts about what he can do.  

And you can be sure that McDermott isn't missing the teaching moment.   He knows this was an important step, a hurdle that they had to get over.  Now he's teaching them how to land and keep running to the next hurdle.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I was just rereading your first paragraph, and the point about riding bike is excellent.  You have a different kind of confidence once you're up on a bike. 

It's the difference between true confidence, self-assurance, and just swagger.   Swagger is a pose, a behavior that someone adopts to tell the world he's good (whether he's good or not).   Someone with confidence might have swagger, too, but someone with confidence no longer has internal doubts about what he can do.  

And you can be sure that McDermott isn't missing the teaching moment.   He knows this was an important step, a hurdle that they had to get over.  Now he's teaching them how to land and keep running to the next hurdle.  

Exactly, thanks for making my point more clear.. Sometimes it’s easier for me to use an example of what I think. That was a definite step forward for the franchise!!

That 4th down play by Allen was amazing! After it’s had time to sink in it really is something I won’t forget, like his hurdling Barr last season for a 1st! He is now in my mind the franchise Qb not really because of those spectacular moments but because of everything else that he did against the Cowboys. Those plays may seem routine or unspectacular but that’s what makes me see that he is our guy!!

The play which amazes me most was the third play in second series @ 3:43 where Allen is in end zone moving around avoiding a safety and then hits Beasley getting Bills out of shadow of goal posts.  

Note: wish I could find PDF file of game results.  I prefer it to the web based version for I could find a lot of info not in web version.

Big Play

29 Yard Pass
(3:43) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass deep right to C.Beasley pushed ob at BUF 31 for 29 yards (J.Jones).
3rd & 10 at BUF 2

Great win.   The Cowboys are very talented, especially on Offense.  Although, you don't get to 6-6 because everything is copacetic.  The Bills are the better team, although they may not have the top shelf "established" talent, but they did some things to establish that they are very talented as well.  I was very much in the "Oh boy! Here we go again." after the first drive by the Cowboys (penalties and run D were very frustrating to watch), but then the Bills settled down and turned the whole thing around like very good teams do.

The Bills are hitting their stride and we can only hope that they continue to pick up momentum over the next couple of weeks.  Going 2-1 over the next three would be a very good outcome, but I know a lot of us are thinking why not 3-0?  I'm starting to think that as well, but this is a young team and this is a very tough stretch of games.  They are certainly capable of it, but they've got to continue getting better to do it.  Whatever they do, this has been a pretty fun ride so far, and I think this team is really going to be a good team for a while.  I've openly questioned what McDermott and Beane were doing in the first 2 years, but I will have to concede that they certainly look like they had a plan that they knew they could execute and are starting to reap the rewards of their investments.  They have been focused on building a team that is more than a collection of talent - a collection of talent doesn't work very well in the NFL as has been demonstrated time after time.  I was critical of what I perceived as missteps by Beane and McDermott (not that they haven't had them, but all coaches and GMs do) - but in moving out those that had talent but didn't fit the vision, they appear to be creating something special.  I guess as Bills fans we've seen the rebuild before and we just didn't want it to be a tear down that turns into a failed rebuild with a Coach and GM being desperate to keep their jobs doing whatever they can to push off the inevitable.  They've got a young core that still has a lot to prove, but they are starting to prove it.  Dallas was one of those prove it games.  The next 3 are as well.

The Ravens are the biggest challenge that you can have and if they play well and somehow take them down -watch out.  The Bills are built to handle mobile QBs with their team speed on D, but the Ravens also run it right at you with toughness as well.  If they can neutralize the running game between the tackles and have their own success on Offense it may be a very entertaining game.  I know McDermott and Frazier are looking at this one and are capable of creating some issues for the Ravens but will be happy to have a couple of extra days to game plan.

54 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Great win.   The Cowboys are very talented, especially on Offense.  Although, you don't get to 6-6 because everything is copacetic.  The Bills are the better team, although they may not have the top shelf "established" talent, but they did some things to establish that they are very talented as well.  I was very much in the "Oh boy! Here we go again." after the first drive by the Cowboys (penalties and run D were very frustrating to watch), but then the Bills settled down and turned the whole thing around like very good teams do.

The Bills are hitting their stride and we can only hope that they continue to pick up momentum over the next couple of weeks.  Going 2-1 over the next three would be a very good outcome, but I know a lot of us are thinking why not 3-0?  I'm starting to think that as well, but this is a young team and this is a very tough stretch of games.  They are certainly capable of it, but they've got to continue getting better to do it.  Whatever they do, this has been a pretty fun ride so far, and I think this team is really going to be a good team for a while.  I've openly questioned what McDermott and Beane were doing in the first 2 years, but I will have to concede that they certainly look like they had a plan that they knew they could execute and are starting to reap the rewards of their investments.  They have been focused on building a team that is more than a collection of talent - a collection of talent doesn't work very well in the NFL as has been demonstrated time after time.  I was critical of what I perceived as missteps by Beane and McDermott (not that they haven't had them, but all coaches and GMs do) - but in moving out those that had talent but didn't fit the vision, they appear to be creating something special.  I guess as Bills fans we've seen the rebuild before and we just didn't want it to be a tear down that turns into a failed rebuild with a Coach and GM being desperate to keep their jobs doing whatever they can to push off the inevitable.  They've got a young core that still has a lot to prove, but they are starting to prove it.  Dallas was one of those prove it games.  The next 3 are as well.

The Ravens are the biggest challenge that you can have and if they play well and somehow take them down -watch out.  The Bills are built to handle mobile QBs with their team speed on D, but the Ravens also run it right at you with toughness as well.  If they can neutralize the running game between the tackles and have their own success on Offense it may be a very entertaining game.  I know McDermott and Frazier are looking at this one and are capable of creating some issues for the Ravens but will be happy to have a couple of extra days to game plan.

Interesting.  I've been a believer in McBeane since early on.  Something about their self-assuredness made me believe.  Their message was "we're here, we know what we're doing, we're going to build a really good team, there's a process and it will take time."   Then, month by month, we could see the process at work.   

I keep saying it, and I'm sure it's true:  They are building with Belichick's core philosophy, which is this:   Football is football.  It's the same game that people have been playing for 100 years.  You win today the same way you won 100 years ago:  you block and tackle, very well, every play, every player.  You don't give away the ball.  You execute the plays as designed, and you communicate and improvise based on your understanding of the plays.   You play hard, you hit people hard, within the rules, every chance you get.  

I think that's what we're seeing.  And I think what we're seeing is that the Bills are playing with the same philosophy as the Pats, but with better talent.   Allen is playing smart (not Brady smart, but smart), and he's physically better than Brady.   The Bills have better receivers.  I think the Bills may actually have a better o-line.   The Bills defense is more talented, player for player.  Take Gilmore over White if you want, but the Bills have Poyer and Hyde.  I don't think the Pats' front seven matches the Bills'.  

The other thing that makes the Bills like the Pats is that I now have confidence that the Bills will come out ready to play every game.  They're doing effective game planning, and they're able to adjust during the game.   As we write this stuff, the Bills players are getting ready for the Ravens.   By Sunday they will know what they have to do, and they'll do it.   They will be prepared to win the game, which is different from winning.  The Ravens will be prepared, too, and they will come with intensity.   Either team could win, but the Ravens will win big only if they are a really special team.   We'll see. 

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Interesting.  I've been a believer in McBeane since early on.  Something about their self-assuredness made me believe.  Their message was "we're here, we know what we're doing, we're going to build a really good team, there's a process and it will take time."   Then, month by month, we could see the process at work.   

I keep saying it, and I'm sure it's true:  They are building with Belichick's core philosophy, which is this:   Football is football.  It's the same game that people have been playing for 100 years.  You win today the same way you won 100 years ago:  you block and tackle, very well, every play, every player.  You don't give away the ball.  You execute the plays as designed, and you communicate and improvise based on your understanding of the plays.   You play hard, you hit people hard, within the rules, every chance you get.  

I think that's what we're seeing.  And I think what we're seeing is that the Bills are playing with the same philosophy as the Pats, but with better talent.   Allen is playing smart (not Brady smart, but smart), and he's physically better than Brady.   The Bills have better receivers.  I think the Bills may actually have a better o-line.   The Bills defense is more talented, player for player.  Take Gilmore over White if you want, but the Bills have Poyer and Hyde.  I don't think the Pats' front seven matches the Bills'.  

The other thing that makes the Bills like the Pats is that I now have confidence that the Bills will come out ready to play every game.  They're doing effective game planning, and they're able to adjust during the game.   As we write this stuff, the Bills players are getting ready for the Ravens.   By Sunday they will know what they have to do, and they'll do it.   They will be prepared to win the game, which is different from winning.  The Ravens will be prepared, too, and they will come with intensity.   Either team could win, but the Ravens will win big only if they are a really special team.   We'll see. 

Myself personally Shaw, the Buffalo Bills have a good enough secondary to really focus hard on stopping the run vs the Ravens IMO. The 49ers were able to keep Jackson contained for the most part and I billieve the Bills D is up to the task in my humble opinion. Lamar Jackson is going to make some big plays. On the other hand, so will Josh Allen.

Running, throwing, as the new wave power forward/ QB will be on full display at New Era field this Suday. Playoff implications, playoff atmosphere.

Buffalo keys to victory, Run well and stop the run. Play fearless Buffalo!

This is going to be a real good football game IMO.  Possible preview to the AFC Championship game.

MERCY!!!

One Buffalo strong!!! 

Edited by Figster

On 12/2/2019 at 12:05 PM, Shaw66 said:

Great call to believe in what McDermott and Beane were doing.  I'm still superstitious about getting too excited about them to be honest - irrational most likely, but there is an entire psychology of being a Bills fan that has you questioning everything until proven otherwise.  Maybe part of it is that the Coaches are growing into their roles as well - I think that is what happens with coaches as well as players.  It's a really neat thing to watch and it has us all imagining things we haven't had the luxury of thinking about for a long time as Bills fans - like coaches and players that are having a really good season and just starting to wonder how much better it could and may be. 

10 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Great call to believe in what McDermott and Beane were doing.  I'm still superstitious about getting too excited about them to be honest - irrational most likely, but there is an entire psychology of being a Bills fan that has you questioning everything until proven otherwise.  Maybe part of it is that the Coaches are growing into their roles as well - I think that is what happens with coaches as well as players.  It's a really neat thing to watch and it has us all imagining things we haven't had the luxury of thinking about for a long time as Bills fans - like coaches and players that are having a really good season and just starting to wonder how much better it could and may be. 

I agree with all of this.  As I said in the OP, when I first tuned in, it just didn't look right.  What were those lovely blue uniforms doing on the field before a national audience on Thanksgiving?  That can't be my Bills out there.  I get psychology part.  

And I agree that the coaches are growing into their roles.  I got that early on, too.  McDermott's management philosophy is continuous improvement.  Learn something, incorporate it into what you do, learn something else.  Wash, rinse, repeat.   Do it over and over, year after year, piling knowledge and skill on previously learned knowledge and skills.   He was clear at the very beginning that he'd never been a head coach and he had a lot to learn.  His own expectation of himself is that he will get better at being a head coach year after year.  Part of that will be that he will get better at having assistants around him who are getting better, too.  So, for example, he expects Daboll to keep getting better, understand more, plan better.   And McDermott only wants coaches who are 100% into that kind of self-improvement.  I don't think it's an accident that the offense seems to be improving weekly.   Daboll is improving, and all of his players are improving in their roles.  

One other reason I'm feeling a little at sea, feeling like this can't really be a good team is that I, and I think most people, envision a good team to look and feel like some good team from the past.   If they're going to be good, I think to myself that they will have to look like the Pats of the last 10 years or like the Cowboys in the 90s or the Niners in the 80s.   We all forget that before the Niners in the 80s, NO ONE looked like that.  When Montana hit Clark in the end zone to beat the Cowboys, I thought it was a nice story but the Niners couldn't actually be good playing like that.   Before the Steelers in the 70s, NO ONE looked like that.   The current Bills look different than the Pats - the QB looks different, the receiving corps looks different, the defense looks different.   Successful football teams have their own unique style and personality, so what we're watching is something we aren't familiar with generally.   On top of that, seeing a Bills team win three out of four consistently is something we aren't familiar with.  It's all a new experience.