A resident of Alaska who frequents this board

KD in CA

I've found letting them soak in a marinade overnight will sometimes do the trick...

302629[/snapback]

If you grab them by the tail and tenderize them by slamming them against a brick wall it works pretty well.

If you grab them by the tail and tenderize them by slamming them against a brick wall it works pretty well.

302642[/snapback]

You cold-hearted bastard. :doh:

You tenderize them by clubbing them like you would a baby seal.

Why not?  Even PETA kills stray cats.  Their shelter in Norfolk euthanized about 3000 a year.

No, I'm not making that up...

302685[/snapback]

No, I didn't mean they shouldn't be killed, I meant they don't deserve it. They didn't ask for some moron person to have a cat or 10, decide they didn't want them, and let them go, OR have a person take them in, not spay or neuter them and let them roam around town doing it catty-style.

I think they need to be Euthanized, but I also think if a cat is found to be a stray, and someone comes to claim it as theirs, and the cat hasn't been fixed, the person should pay a fine (because who knows how many new cats are now around due to that cat being free for a few days) and pay to have them fixed.

I'm all for the cat hunt.

Last summer a feral kitten decided to visit our humble abode. I noticed it hanging around our front bushes and thought it would leave and paid it no mind. A couple of hours later my wife was just about to start the mini van when she thought she heard a cat meowing. I quickly opened the hood and the feral kitten jumped out and ran into our garage. Now the fun was just beginning.

We have a 2 car garage but because we have no basement half the garage is cluttered with storage items, the kids toys etc. Well the kitten must have realized this garage was his haven because we could not get him to leave. If you approached him he would hiss violently and scratch. He was scaring the kids and crapping all over the place. The dam cat was so small he was hiding in spaces in and underneath the riding lawn mower and I could not catch him. This went on for 2 days.

On the third day, I found the cat sleeping in the spare wheel under my SUV. I quickly backed the car out of the garage, lowered the tire and the cat took off. "Finally" I thought, the cat would be gone. I moved the car back into garage. Apparently the cat had just jumped to a space underneath the SUV because as soon as I closed the garage door, I saw it crawl across the floor into the stuff to hide.

Now I was pissed and even a little embaressed. A grown man who couldn't catch a little "kitten". Something had to be done soon. We were leaving on vacation in 2 days and the cat surely would have died being locked in hot garage with no food or water. Reluctantly I called animal control. The animal control officer almost laughed in my face when he came to the house and saw the tiny cat sitting in the garage.

Well even the professional had trouble collaring this cat. The kitten would hide in the smallest of spaces/objects and we could not catch him. Finally after 45 minutes of chasing him around the garage, the cat in trying to escape landed in my fishing bucket and we threw a towel over it and were able to get it in a cage.

I was at this meeting last night. The funniest thing - there is a BIG difference between hunters and cat lovers. These are two groups that just cannot get along.

I voted against the measure, because I think it is pretty stupid idea. The measure lost by a lot and the Conservation Congress admitted they won't bring it up again (ie: they don't want the cat crazy people to come out again and disrupt the group, which is clearly mostly hunters.)

Keep in mind, we have a law that hunters can shoot morning doves - a symbol of peace. So, I don't think they are worried about songbirds.

That gets rid of the toughness, but does not handle the gamey taste. I am telling you. Go the sauce route.

302637[/snapback]

Amatures. Any good chef knows that to get the gamey flavor out of meat soak it in milk over night. And everyone knows cats love milk.

Amatures.  Any good chef knows that to get the gamey flavor out of meat soak it in milk over night.  And everyone knows cats love milk.

303235[/snapback]

Wow, I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

Here I go - sitting on the fence again. I'm a cat owner and an animal lover. However, I'm concerned about a feral cat problem if it upsets nature's balance. I could see a controlled culling of the numbers for safety's sake. But not a hunt party for cat haters with guns.

I'm all for the cat hunt.

Would you say the same about dogs that are roaming the area without leashes?

And regarding your cat situation -- why didn't you lure it out with some cat treats/food? The thing was crapping all over your garage because it was petrified. You can't chase a cat and expect to catch it. You need to use your brainpower instead.

Giving people the right to shoot cats seems like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

CW

I am not sure why doglovers are so into this movement. Once cats become widely accepted as game, wild dogs might be next. When dogs start getting into packs, it's not necessarily a good thing.

My main problem is that it seems that overzealous hunters will hunt cats that are actually someone else's. I can understand people not liking cats, but do you really want to have kids having their hearts broken over losing a beloved pet?

There are better ways to deal with this problem, in my opinion. (Like actually running good animal control and stop letting people get away with not spaying and neutering their cats). Why is there a need to ram through legislation that is so controversial instead of actually dealing with the problem?

In the end, f- nature's balance. It is already messed up as it is. We already have killed off most of the natural predators that used to kill these birds already. Birds are just getting special treatment because they are pretty, just like that skank on the Apprentice.

I am not sure why doglovers are so into this movement. Once cats become widely accepted as game, wild dogs might be next. When dogs start getting into packs, it's not necessarily a good thing.

My main problem is that it seems that overzealous hunters will hunt cats that are actually someone else's. I can understand people not liking cats, but do you really want to have kids having their hearts broken over losing a beloved pet?

There are better ways to deal with this problem, in my opinion. (Like actually running good animal control and stop letting people get away with not spaying and neutering their cats). Why is there a need to ram through legislation that is so controversial instead of actually dealing with the problem?

In the end, f- nature's balance. It is already messed up as it is. We already have killed off most of the natural predators that used to kill these birds already. Birds are just getting special treatment because they are pretty, just like that skank on the Apprentice.

303688[/snapback]

I LOVE dogs, they are truly great pets and are Man's best friend. That said I'd have no problem with hunters taking out wild dogs. Wild dogs are fuggin crazy and in no way bear any resemblence to the family pet. Koreans could eat them to their hearts content for all I care, though I'd bet they taste pretty gamey as well.