A resident of Alaska who frequents this board

KD in CA

Not a good time to be a wildcat in Wisconson

Article snipet...

Feline lovers holding pictures of cats, clutching stuffed animals and wearing whiskers faced-off against hundreds of hunters at meetings around Wisconsin to voice their opinion on whether to legalize cat hunting.

Residents in 72 counties were asked whether free-roaming cats — including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar — should be listed as an unprotected species. If listed as so, the cats could be hunted.

The proposal was one of several dozen included in a spring vote on hunting and fishing issues held by the Wisconsin Conservation Congress. The results, only advisory, get forwarded to the state Natural Resources Board.

Not a good time to be a wildcat in Wisconson

Article snipet...

Feline lovers holding pictures of cats, clutching stuffed animals and wearing whiskers faced-off against hundreds of hunters at meetings around Wisconsin to voice their opinion on whether to legalize cat hunting.

Residents in 72 counties were asked whether free-roaming cats — including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar — should be listed as an unprotected species. If listed as so, the cats could be hunted.

The proposal was one of several dozen included in a spring vote on hunting and fishing issues held by the Wisconsin Conservation Congress. The results, only advisory, get forwarded to the state Natural Resources Board.

302529[/snapback]

When I first moved into my latest apartment, i noticed a small opening near where the house met the ground. It was about 40 feet from my front door, and basically looked like what would be a basement window (if there were actually basements in florida). Anyway, it didn't take long to notice this is where several cats lived. My house is split in two, so it wasn't technically on my half of the house. But sure as sh--, give it two minutes, and i notice they are all over my property, and occasionally on my truck. I asked my neighbor about them, and she said they weren't hers, but she did occassioanly FEED THEM. Restraining myself from calling her a retard, I explained that is probably the reason they have stayed so long. Anyway, since she said they weren't hers, animal control was called, and they came a took most of them. Now, I don't know if the gestation period of a cat is 3 days or that the only ones they missed were the pregnant ones, but in the past 4 months, at least 8 new cats have arrived. Now, I don't think they deserve to die, but again, its lack of common sense (as crazy lady still feeds them).

Just ask the birds what is fair.

Neighborhood cats stalk and kill wild birds and baby rabbits right in my back yard. Then they rip the feathers off of the birds or eat the rabbits behind my bushes in the front yard. This is disgusting to Mrs Surf, because unlike me .. she's a nice person.

Some birds eat meat (crows, hawks, etc.) and the rest don't. I have never seen a cat kill a meat eating bird. They might do it ... but I haven't seen it.

The cats have solved the problem for me. The cats set the rules of the game and brought their game right to my property. I watched it and learned it from them. So I keep it 100% fair and play ONLY by their rules.

Meanwhile the neighborhood dogs are behind physical or electronic fences. People should keep their precious cats behind an electronic fence as well. But why should try when they think the dead birds and animals Fluffy brings home are cute! Here's my message to the cat owners ...

NIMBY !

Sorry about what?  That you don't have a point?  The vote is today, which probably explains why it is being reported by news outlets.

302562[/snapback]

Vote's today? hmmm, Id be very interested in how this plays out. How long until PETA gets involved?

I've found letting them soak in a marinade overnight will sometimes do the trick...

302629[/snapback]

That gets rid of the toughness, but does not handle the gamey taste. I am telling you. Go the sauce route.