Josh Allen’s footwork

billvernsays

As Thurman says above.

I don't care about quite 'how' he's dropping back, providing he sets himself correctly when he does throw, as he is then pretty accurate.

In recent games, I've not noticed anything especially obvious, about how he has been setting himself when throwing, so I'm assuming he's mostly got it right.

Much like with the O-Line - if you don't hear their name mentioned, it's because it's happening correctly.

11 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Cut him. I dont care how many games he has and will win. If he cant set his feet right he needs to go.

I’m not trying to bash Josh Allen at all. I think he’s the future QB in Buffalo.

I’m just making an observation which may explain why he’s not running as much this year as last year and when he does run why he doesn’t have as much space. (It also may be why his completion % is up and has made significant progress in the passing game) 

I thought this board was where we are supposed to bring our observations to discuss. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, billvernsays said:

I started looking into this because it always seems he has the pocket collapsing on him even though our OLine is pretty good. When I watch other teams, even the ones I know our OLine is better than, I don’t see the pocket engulfing their QB as much. 

Huh?  He has a pretty good oline but the pocket is engulfing Allen, so it's a problem with his footwork?   That doesn't make sense.   Maybe you need to reconsider your notion that the Bills have a better line than teams that protect their QB better.  

Does anyone else notice that Josh Allen doesn’t drop-back and set in the pocket? 

the traditional 3, 5, and 7 steps drops are replaced with a stationary snap and fire, a minor 1 step shuffle, and a shuffle and a half. 

I love the guy and think he’s great but I’ve noticed other mobile QB’s take their 5 step drop which opens up running lanes for them. 

Could the Bills be doing this because they doesn’t like JA’s footwork? 

yes, step back

wait a microsecond, then run for your life

i accept sometimes this is sometimes a designed play or legit option when he knows it's busted up

but he has to stand back there and read and lead his targets and take a hit once in awhile, the way elite winning QBs have done it and will do it.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Huh?  He has a pretty good oline but the pocket is engulfing Allen, so it's a problem with his footwork?   That doesn't make sense.   Maybe you need to reconsider your notion that the Bills have a better line than teams that protect their QB better.  

Shaw perhaps. But I don’t think the issue is blocking the pocket looks clean but with the shallow set Allen takes, to an untrained eye,  the pocket seems too congested. 

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

he is running before the play even sets up

at least Tyrod looked for his primary target and then ran for his life

Ok so that’s what I’m getting at.

My question is If it’s a system thing doesn’t that take away from his natural ability to take off and run as the rush lanes open up because with a 1 step drop there’s less space? 

But hasn’t he been taking off and running all along?  I see a QB looking to pass first, and running if he can’t find an open receiver.

Edited by JaCrispy

He talked about his stance and drop back in the pre season....

He mentioned it’s different but it’s whats comfortable to him... it feels more natural and gets him to where he needs to be prior to releasing the ball...

But in all honesty, look at Payton Manning foot work, Tom Brady.... they drop back and bounce around with happy feet. Josh is still learning the system, getting comfortable with timing etc....  I’d really expect as the Bills continue to build an Oline around and improving the weapons around him he will get smoother and more comfortable....  

ive always been a big believer that football is football and you just gotta play! Lamar Jackson is just out there playing his game, and doing what he needs to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

I’m not trying to bash Josh Allen at all. I think he’s the future QB in Buffalo.

I’m just making an observation which may explain why he’s not running as much this year as last year and when he does run why he doesn’t have as much space. (It also may be why his completion % is up and has made significant progress in the passing game) 

I thought this board was where we are supposed to bring our observations to discuss. 

You think, you don't know this by now? C'mon, really!

40 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yes, step back

i accept sometimes this is sometimes a designed play or legit option when he knows it's busted up

but he has to stand back there and read and lead his targets and take a hit once in awhile, the way elite winning QBs have done it and will do it.

Yep. I don't recall the depth of the drop exactly but this is what he did on the TD pass to Brown last week and he never looked better IMO. I don't have a problem with happy feet either as long as it's done to ensure the best stability, weight transfer and general mechanics as the QB is going through his progressions before pulling the trigger. It promotes accuracy and that's why Peyton and Brady do/did it.

1 hour ago, billvernsays said:

Take it easy. Yes this board is what you think it is and more. That said, if you dont have your sarcasm meter on it wont go well for you. 

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

yes, step back

Like the Beasley TD last week?

18 hours ago, billvernsays said:

I started looking into this because it always seems he has the pocket collapsing on him even though our OLine is pretty good. When I watch other teams, even the ones I know our OLine is better than, I don’t see the pocket engulfing their QB as much. 

The pocket appears to collapse on him more than others because he often takes longer to decide what to do.  Sunday the pocket held up better than usual, despite the injuries, because the tight ends were blocking well.