70s and 80s Bands

39 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

:lol:

Not really, but I *DO* miss the pure joy of coming across something in the stacks really interesting or rare, or both.

we had SAMS'S in Toronto with everything from the UK or Detroit that nobody in my cowtown had heard of before

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, row_33 said:

we had SAMS'S in Toronto with everything from the UK or Detroit that nobody in my cowtown had heard of before

https://www.doubledeckerrecords.com/

This place is STILL around, albeit under a different name than it used to be. Spent many a dollar in there.

56 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

https://www.doubledeckerrecords.com/

This place is STILL around, albeit under a different name than it used to be. Spent many a dollar in there.

the corner sure ain't the same as it was, i try not to get old-man nostalgic when i walk by that area....

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Every artist/band has his/her/their period of creativity and then it's over.  Only the legends last a long time.

some died out before this, some have carried on till today  well past their due date (i won't say the latter is the sadder option...)

3 hours ago, bbb said:

Synchronicity II is the best Police song ever, by far 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Completely agree. Synchronicity II is awesome.

Yet it seems to be a very overlooked song from The Police, or am I wrong in that assessment?

Great tune.  I can only speak for myself and the few other avid Police fans I know, but I don't think it's an overlooked tune.  It got significant radio play, but it definitely isn't what I would call one of their, "poppy," tunes.  I like Synchronicity I better than II, but I think they're both solid, real-deal, Police tunes.

Miss Gradenko and O My God really kick it old school. 

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Great tune.  I can only speak for myself and the few other avid Police fans I know, but I don't think it's an overlooked tune.  It got significant radio play, but it definitely isn't what I would call one of their, "poppy," tunes.  I like Synchronicity I better than II, but I think they're both solid, real-deal, Police tunes.

favourite tunes were those we figured Summers had overdubbed parts on his drumming, he later admitted this was used in studio.

On 11/19/2019 at 5:01 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It seems a lot of bands and artists that were cool in the 70s, lost their edge in the 80s. REO Speedwagon, ZZ Top, Aerosmith. Even guys like Elton John and Billy Joel. KISS in a way, but they sold out long before that, and were always known to be about the almighty dollar, and never tried to hide it. 

They went from making meaningful, hard music music, to a much more generic pop like sound. Just a random observation. 

I don't remember REO Speedwagon ever being cool. Maybe in the mid-west cow-towns like Indy. They were like only a few steps above Journey.

On 11/20/2019 at 6:11 PM, Gugny said:

Yeah, man.  The 80s actually pumped out some great music, but the pop/radio scene was atrocious.  

The Police (Sting, really) were really smart the way the went about it.  Starting with Zenyatta Mondatta (3rd album), their hunger for radio play was apparent.  Don't Stand So Close to Me is actually a quality tune, but was very radio friendly.  And - as Pooj stated - they had a great video to back it up.  De Do Do Do ... was pure cheese.  The rest of the album was absolute GOLD (probably my favorite Police record).  

Then came along Ghost in the Machine, which was a total separation from their previous three albums.  Fantastic record.  But Sting wisely wrote Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.  Great tune, but it tugged at the girls' heart strings.  By then, they were pop stars and even Spirits in the Material World took off as a single.  That song would have gone nowhere 2 years prior, but Zenyatta built them some star power and some radio play "cred."

By the time Synchronicity came out in '83, they had a healthy mix of fans who loved the old stuff AND the new stuff (because it still had quality tunes outside of the pop crap) AND fans who only loved the cheese.  Result - selling out Shea Stadium (and everywhere else they played).

That's how it's done.

I liked their first album, it rocked...all went downhill for me after that.

Edited by Rico

On 11/20/2019 at 6:53 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

I'd argue that the Smiths were the best band of the 1980s, and weren't a huge radio presence.  Meat is murder is from start to finish one of the best albums I've ever heard.

Never got into the Smiths at all,  weak vocals IMO.

I'd say the best 80's band was probably Prince and the Revolution. Honorable mention to U2, they were a monster thru their 1st 3 LPs. My favs though would probably be the 'Mats.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I don't remember REO Speedwagon ever being cool. Maybe in the mid-west cow-towns like Indy. They were like only a few steps above Journey.

I honestly didn't think so either. I thought they were one of the better 80's AOR bands though. So I picked this vinyl up in the dollar bin at goodwill or something and it was actually fantastic. Only hit on here is Ridin' the Storm Out. Check out 157 Riverside Ave. GoldJust a fun old fashioned rock and roll song. Golden Country is almost psychodelic, but pretty heavy for the same band that put out Can't Fight This Feeling. It was originally an anti Vietnam protest song. 

Live_You_Get_What_You_Play_For.jpg

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

10 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I honestly didn't think so either. I thought they were one of the better 80's AOR bands though. So I picked this vinyl up in the dollar bin at goodwill or something and it was actually fantastic. Only hit on here is Ridin' the Storm Out. Check out 157 Riverside Ave. GoldJust a fun old fashioned rock and roll song. Golden Country is almost psychodelic, but pretty heavy for the same band that put out Can't Fight This Feeling. It was originally an anti Vietnam protest song. 

Yeah, I went to Purdue in the late 70's thru early 80's, I think I've heard them all. Their earlier stuff is better, certainly different. I do like Roll With The Changes, that'd be a good song for a good bar band to cover.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

favourite tunes were those we figured Summers had overdubbed parts on his drumming, he later admitted this was used in studio.

Well, since he was the guitarist, I'm not sure I'd believe him.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Haven't thought about that one in awhile... had it on a cassette in High school. Decent cruising music for sure but that's the only one I've owned by them.

First two albums I'll probably always listen to... 

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Completely agree. Synchronicity II is awesome.

Yet it seems to be a very overlooked song from The Police, or am I wrong in that assessment?

Yeah, as Gugny said, it GOT a lot of airplay, but I'll hear a number of Police tunes these days, but I can't tell you the last time I've heard Synchronicity II............It rocks way harder than any other Police song. 

34 minutes ago, Rico said:

Some say that 1980 is too early to represent the decade, but if you count it and I do, then the Jim Carroll Band is the band of the 80's, nothing comes close to touching Catholic Boy IMO.

Sounds to me like you have utter disdain for the music of the 80's.

Which is not me saying anything bad about the Jim Carroll Band.

9 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Sounds to me like you have utter disdain for the music of the 80's.

Which is not me saying anything bad about the Jim Carroll Band.

I wouldn't say utter disdain, I like a lot of it.... but more like than love, if that makes sense. I tend to like songs more than acts or albums. Too much inconsistency throughout. Some of my other favs like Psychedelic Furs & X started out great but fizzled out. Great though if you were a Jacko/Madonna/Prince fan. I will say that I think Prince always dropped a good album every summer until Batman.

As far as the original post, above all else it was a devastating decade if you were a Neil fan, WTF. :(

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

I wouldn't say utter disdain, I like a lot of it.... but more like than love, if that makes sense. I tend to like songs more than acts or albums. Too much inconsistency throughout. Some of my other favs like Psychedelic Furs & X started out great but fizzled out. Great though if you were a Jacko/Madonna/Prince fan. I will say that I think Prince always dropped a good album every summer until Batman.

As far as the original post, above all else it was a devastating decade if you were a Neil fan, WTF. :(

Young or Vince? :)

In addition to Prince, U2 and Talking Heads, that were already mentioned, you had Metallica, Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, the Pretenders, Stevie Ray Vaughan. 

There was still a lot of good music being created... 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/21/2019 at 2:32 PM, Gugny said:

One thing I like about Synchronicity II as opposed to Synchronicity I, is that the word "Synchronicity" is never used in it. :D

Also interesting that they gave the song that title, because both songs are completely different and have no real connection to each other, except for their title.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

One thing I like about Synchronicity II as opposed to Synchronicity I, is that the word "Synchronicity" is never used in it. :D

Also interesting that they gave the song that title, because both songs are completely different and have no real connection to each other, except for their title.

All true!  Plus it rocks like all get out..........And, has great lyrics

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Rico said:

Yeah, their 1st half of the decade was great, but everything Little Creatures and after was very disappointing to me.

80s were weird like that. 80-85 were great for music. 86, 87, 88 not so much. But by 89 you had the likes of Soundgarden, Jane's addiction and NiN popping up onto the scene, so it started to rock again.

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I had to google this.  Found this funny quote from Steward Copeland:

"When asked how "Synchronicity I" is connected to "Synchronicity II," Stewart Copeland said, "I've had Sting up against the wall on this issue before, and he point blank refuses to explain the connection. None of us in the band can even remember which one's which. The only way I can keep them straight is that 'Synch I' has Sting's cool sequencer part, that 'dunga dunga dung' thing that I, to this day, get all the credit for."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1