The Impact of Bo Jackson’s Hip Injury on the 1991 AFC Championship

13 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This might be a bit out there, but it is definitely topical.  The reporting of the initial Tua injury today is that it’s the same hip injury that ended Bo Jackson’s NFL career.  

Up until now, I completely forgot that his injury happened the week before the AFC Championship game with the Bills.  That Oakland Raiders team was very good and easily the 2nd best team in the AFC.

The Bills did beat them earlier in the season but Bo was not playing yet and a few fluky things happened.  

If you remember Bo Jackson was on a freaking tear in 1989 and 1990 average over 5 yards per carry.  Coupled with Marcus Allen and talents like Willie Gault and Tim Brown made a meh QB like Jay Schroeder look decent.  

What I’m wondering is - do you think that the game’s outcome is different if Bo Jackson was playing in that football game.  Based on his performance weeks earlier, I feel he’s certainly someone the the defense would need to game plan around.  

It’s interesting to think about because if the Bills don’t win in 1991, do they ever reach another Super Bowl?   It always seemed to me that the crushing way they lost at SB25 always motivated them to try to get back to the big game. In

For what it is worth, Mark Kelso has mentioned more than once that he personally strongly believes the Bills would NOT have gone to 4 straight Super Bowls if they had won the first one in XXV.

He thinks the hunger and drive the team had to get it done would not have been there, and he was a lot closer to the situation than we were.

He always said they might have gone to/won like 2 but maybe not more.

I personally did not fear that Raiders team going into the AFC championship game.  They were a notch down from us IMO.  Would they have been better with a healthy Bo Jackson in the lineup?  Sure!  Would we have still beat them 52-3? Probably not, but I think we would have won the game.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

He was just hurt yesterday.  Give them time to do testing and such.

On some documentary about Bo's injury, they were commenting on how the nature of the injury was that his hip was "dislocated" and doctors were saying "that's impossible; you can't dislocate your hip" I guess b/c the bones and that joint are too strong.

But Bo actually did.  That defender was hanging on his lower leg and the power in Bo's stride was such that he basically pulled his own leg out of his joint.

Nice.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Our group had a sign that we brought in that said just that.:thumbsup:

Yeah we were also expecting more snow flurries than arrived.    Turned out to be an almost wind-free and easy day for a football.

Someone had a huge banner draped over the barrier from the stands between the field that said Bo Don't Know Snow and was shown on NFL Films all the time back then.

11 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Nothing was going to derail the Bills O that day—how else do you explain this sequence of events—botched snap/fumble, helmet falling down on rollout, then TD to Lofton, just like Marchibroda drew it up lol...

This happened right in front of us. We had seasons on that goal line.  When the Raiders D called aTO on that first drive,  it looked to us lie he was asking his coach " What do I do?"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Wacka said:

This happened right in front of us. We had seasons on that goal line.  When the Raiders D called aTO on that first drive,  it looked to us lie he was asking his coach " What do I do?"

I remember watching that play live on TV like it happened 5 minutes ago.  That was nearly 29 years ago!

The moment that happened, I totally remember thinking "This is going to be our day."

:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

*1990 AFC Championship

Yes.  Played in January of 1991, but 1990 nonetheless.

Good point.

14 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This might be a bit out there, but it is definitely topical.  The reporting of the initial Tua injury today is that it’s the same hip injury that ended Bo Jackson’s NFL career.  

Up until now, I completely forgot that his injury happened the week before the AFC Championship game with the Bills.  That Oakland Raiders team was very good and easily the 2nd best team in the AFC.

The Bills did beat them earlier in the season but Bo was not playing yet and a few fluky things happened.  

If you remember Bo Jackson was on a freaking tear in 1989 and 1990 average over 5 yards per carry.  Coupled with Marcus Allen and talents like Willie Gault and Tim Brown made a meh QB like Jay Schroeder look decent.  

What I’m wondering is - do you think that the game’s outcome is different if Bo Jackson was playing in that football game.  Based on his performance weeks earlier, I feel he’s certainly someone the the defense would need to game plan around.  

It’s interesting to think about because if the Bills don’t win in 1991, do they ever reach another Super Bowl?   It always seemed to me that the crushing way they lost at SB25 always motivated them to try to get back to the big game. In

After watching Bo Jackson play that season, I thought he could be the best RB to ever play, he was that good. It's a real shame that he was injured