Some Allen/Offense Stats

Virgil

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I forgot Pegula talked to the players about what he should do with the OC.?

Really hopes he's learned something....anything.....about the game of football since then..... 

considering he let his HC hand pick our GM he literally learned nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lazy takes by Sullivan.

For Ty Dunne, want to know stats on 30+ air yard passes and 20+ air yard passes for other QBs before I get all bothered.

Here's what you need to know about Allen.

The last I checked, he was 29th in the league in ANY/A behind such elite talents as Mason Rudolph, and Football Outsiders has him rated with a DYAR of 31st in the league, among QBs with at least 150 passes.

That DYAR is a negative value!  MINUS 230! 

He's terrible! 

31 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m not saying the stats are good, bad, indicative of his career.  Honestly, I have no idea.  I want Josh to be the guy, same as I did TT and JP.  

I just found the stats interesting 

Lesson # 1.     Stats LIE

Lesson # 2.  Refer to Lesson # 1.  

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Lesson # 1.     Stats LIE

Lesson # 2.  Refer to Lesson # 1.  

I disagree.  There's anomalies, but typically the majority of the QB's at the top of the overall stat sheets are pretty solid. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The last I checked, he was 29th in the league in ANY/A behind such elite talents as Mason Rudolph, and Football Outsiders has him rated with a DYAR of 31st in the league, among QBs with at least 150 passes.

He's terrible! 

Honest question, would you trade Josh Allen for Mason Rudolph straight up?

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Beasley can do deep here and there.  Not from the outside but he can from the slot....just like Edelman and Welker.  You can't just have them right the same patterns in the same area every time.  

It really hurts if your passing offense is one dimensional which it is now.  We can't beat you over the top and it makes everything shorter and in between more clogged and messy.  

I'm not asking for a superstar, mediocre would be good right now.

Bease didn't maintain a 70% catch rate in Dallas going deep.   

Intermediate over the middle is his forte.  

As to Edelman and Welker.  Tom never exceeded a 70% completion rating for a season

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He's terrible! 

He just needs more time.

Right?

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I disagree.  There's anomalies, but typically the majority of the QB's at the top of the overall stat sheets are pretty solid. 

I can only assume you've never worked with statistics.  

I used to test cell phones.  My reports had said  1% of the phones had failure  parametric tests A, B or C. 

No one came to investigate the repeated failures. 

I then combined the stats to say 5 phones out of 20 FAILED. 

The next day there was a line at my office to collect the failures for investigating the issues 

Magically these repeated failures became less and less 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I can only assume you've never worked with statistics.  

I used to test cell phones.  My reports had said  1% of the phones had failure  parametric tests A, B or C. 

No one came to investigate the repeated failures. 

I then combined the stats to say 5 phones out of 20 FAILED. 

The next day there was a line at my office to collect the failures for investigating the issues 

Magically these repeated failures became less and less 

image.thumb.png.4c61290645ab1c4ea916ff8492d11028.png

image.thumb.png.e8d0d549dd5b027026a5b24592379b8d.png

Sorted by overall QB rating the last 2 years.  Allen was 29 and 32 on both.  I'd take at least 8 of those 10 QB's. 

Yes, stats can be a one off with garbage time or weak opponents.  But, by the end of a season, it usually balances out and everyone gets their fair share of those situations. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m not saying the stats are good, bad, indicative of his career.  Honestly, I have no idea.  I want Josh to be the guy, same as I did TT and JP.  

I just found the stats interesting 

Stats without appropriate and necessary context can be tortured to admit to anything, and therefore are without meaningful substance. The folks against JA will use them as they see fit, and those who support him will point out the deficiencies in the information presented. Let’s see where we are at by year’s end. 

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So what Jerry is saying is Rookie Allen is equal to or better than Vet Tyrod. That’s actually great news I m o. 

Conveniently neglecting to recognize the turnover differential.  Weird.

Edited by Chicken Boo

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Too bad we didn’t give up an entire draft to move to 1 to get Jameis Winston, huh?  

What does this have to do with Josh Allen being a bad QB?

Please try to stay on topic.

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

By no measurable standard is Josh Allen recognized as playing good football.

If you want to give him more time to prove himself, fine.  Completely understandable, but don't pretend that what our eyes are seeing is good football.  It's not.

He's about one of the 4-5 worst starting QBs by every metric you can use to evaluate QBs. 

All while playing one of the easiest schedules in the NFL.....

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Sure, if you use a single stat over the entirety of Josh Allen's career including the beginning of his rookie season when everyone agrees he was bad. Or you could look at how he's doing this year and see that he's at 213 YPG and trending up. While Tyrod Taylor decreased his YPG each year from 2015 to 2017. You could also see that Allen has improved in YPA, passer rating, completion percentage, TD percentage, INT percentage, ANY/A, and sack percentage from 2018 to 2019. But if you were a former employee of a dying newspaper you would probably go the other route.

You're not wrong, but unpack that for a moment.  If all of that is true, and he is STILL, statistically, one of the worst QB's in the league this year...he went from brutally bad to just bad? And we want to celebrate that?  

I expected more from the guy by now.  If someone expected him to be one of the worst QB's in the league 9 games in, I would question what standard that they had for him...

4 minutes ago, Z-Mann said:

he went from brutally bad to just bad? And we want to celebrate that?

I think he went from bad to mediocre, and yes we should be decently happy with that progress. See my post here:

Allen had every flaw you could think of in college outside of physical traits and decent intermediate accuracy. It's actually kind of amazing how many problems he's cleaned up. That's not to say we should be pleased with where he is, but I'm happy with his progress. It's all a matter of how far he develops. If this is his ceiling he's not good enough. But he's gone from Jamarcus Russell to Ryan Tannehill. I'll take that, for now.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

What does this have to do with Josh Allen being a bad QB?

Please try to stay on topic.

He's about one of the 4-5 worst starting QBs by every metric you can use to evaluate QBs. 

All while playing one of the easiest schedules in the NFL.....

So you can admit you were dead wrong about Winston?