HBO announces 'Game of Thrones' spin-off 'House of the Dragon'

https://www.engadget.com/2019-10-29-house-of-the-dragon-game-of-thrones-hbo.html

To close out its big HBO Max presentation -- the service will launch in May 2020 with a $14.99 

HBO adds 'Game of Thrones' prequel 'House of the Dragon,' as reports say Watts series nixed

USA TODAY Entertainment via Yahoo News

bye bye Naomi Watts. 

Spin off # 2 

HBO gives Game of Thrones prequel green light

The Telegraph via Yahoo News· 8 hours ago

A Game Of Thrones prequel series has been announced and will feature on HBO's upcoming streaming service, the US cable network has said ...

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

2 hours ago, wagon127 said:

Is this going to be a new thing, multiple streaming services from the same company? Anybody have any customer friendly reasons, why they didn't just add it to the original streaming service, that Game of Thrones, and Chernobyl was on?

Like the The O'Jays  once said 

Money money money money, money 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Like the The O'Jays  once said 

Money money money money, money 

Believe me I know that. I was looking for a customer friendly reason as to why this would benefit anybody.... This is just going to get worse over time isn't it? Making cable the cheaper option, or just buying DVDs.....

24 minutes ago, teef said:

so this is another paid application other than paying for hbo already?  

My understanding is that HBO Now subscribers will get/become HBO Max.

HBO Max will be free for those who have a traditional HBO subscription if your subscription is offered through an AT&T provider (which includes Direct TV).

Those w a traditional HBO subscription through a non-AT&T provider (Spectrum, Comcast etc) I don't think get it for free.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, teef said:

so this is another paid application other than paying for hbo already?  

I guess so

To close out its big HBO Max presentation -- the service will launch in May 2020 with a $14.99 per month price -- execs revealed that the flagship HBO show Game of Thrones will get a new spin-off based on Fire & Blood. House of the Dragon is a spin-off produced by author George R.R. Martin and Ryan Condal, which is set 300 years prior to the events of the first show.

It is like CBS putting the new Star Trek show streaming only   :censored:ers 

30 minutes ago, stony said:

My understanding is that HBO Now subscribers will get/become HBO Max.

HBO Max will be free for those who have a traditional HBO subscription if your subscription is offered through an AT&T provider (which includes Direct TV).

Those w a traditional HBO subscription through a non-AT&T provider (Spectrum, Comcast etc) I don't think get it for free.  

ok.  that screws me because we have hbo through spectrum.  i'll cancel it and just get the app, but i wonder how cable feels about this.  thanks for the info.

30 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I guess so

To close out its big HBO Max presentation -- the service will launch in May 2020 with a $14.99 per month price -- execs revealed that the flagship HBO show Game of Thrones will get a new spin-off based on Fire & Blood. House of the Dragon is a spin-off produced by author George R.R. Martin and Ryan Condal, which is set 300 years prior to the events of the first show.

For sure I am not subscribing to another HBO service but seeing as they are so greedy, maybe I will cancel my current HBO.  There are places to watch anything on HBO. 

30 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I guess so

it's becoming necessary to get the apps.  i know we're going to end up getting the disney app because of the kids, but if you want to see any star wars or marvel, (i think it's marvel) you have to have the app.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

This is basically the equivalent of putting NFL Prime Time on ESPN+.  It sucks but it'll pry be on my credit card if HBO does end up picking up the series.  Just make sure you have good writing.

what were your honest feelings about GoT and writing in the first place?

22 minutes ago, row_33 said:

what were your honest feelings about GoT and writing in the first place?

TV writers were great at translating source material to the screen in first four to five seasons.  There were even some scenes/changes not in the book (Arya with Tywin) (Catelyn telling the story about Jon Snow as a baby) that were very well done in the first few seasons.  Then when it was time for the writers to work without the scource material and Martin's simple verbal synopsis of what would happen the results were mixed (mostly negative).  The last season's writing was atrocious for the most part.  Basically, if GRRM wrote all the damn books in a timely fashion you'd have an all time great series.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

TV writers were great at translating source material to the screen in first four to five seasons.  There were even some scenes/changes not in the book (Arya with Tywin) (Catelyn telling the story about Jon Snow as a baby) that were very well done in the first few seasons.  Then when it was time for the writers to work without the scource material and Martin's simple verbal synopsis of what would happen the results were mixed (mostly negative).  The last season's writing was atrocious for the most part.  Basically, if GRRM wrote all the damn books in a timely fashion you'd have an all time great series.

In line with my friends who read the books and were really into it.

I had no knowledge of any of it except for the show and enjoyed it mostly, several dozen scenes were the height of unintentional comedy.

• Like (+1) 1