Let Josh be Josh?

oldmanfan

13 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This thread needs to be bumped after today

The premise of the thread is good.

However, give Josh a consistent running game to take the early pressure off his shoulders. Almost all top QB's of the recent era had strong running games while or during QB development 2-3 year mark. 

We all want this juggernaut "modern day" NFL pass happy team but with our current players and Josh's raw ability he needs some more support to take pressure off. 

Edited by Real McCoy

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

The premise of the thread is good.

However, give Josh a consistent running game to take the early pressure off his shoulders. Almost all top QB's of the recent era had strong running games while or during QB development 2-3 year mark. 

We all want this juggernaut "modern day" NFL pass happy team but with our current players and Josh's raw ability he needs some more support to take pressure off. 

Except our OC is an idiot and only gives our best RB the ball 8 times.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah Daboll could be better but Allen still doesn’t do things you would want from a guy after 20 starts.

Allen has 20 starts yet dabol has multiple years calling an nfl offense with his best being #24 with multiple dead last #32 rankings...allen doesnt take this blame until the experienced coach who has looked much worse gets the hell out of Buffalo...he is ruining allen

Edited by Billever76
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Some of the responsibility ALWAYS falls on the QB.

Of course it's part Allen and part Daboll.

It's just that it's not equal parts.

I think I know who you think deserves more blame here. I probably wouldn’t disagree but I suspect you think the gap is bigger than it should be. 

Daboll is a problem and so is Allen. I don’t think firing Daboll magically makes Allen a better passer (you may not either)

Edited by Bangarang

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Some of the responsibility ALWAYS falls on the QB.

Of course it's part Allen and part Daboll.

It's just that it's not equal parts.

Can't let the o-line slide without some blame today. 

There still is a lot of work to be done in particular the tackles. 

Just listened to Josh's post-game presser and he admitted part of his issues in the long ball is mental; stating the thought is in his head about under throwing the ball and putting the ball in jeopardy.  While Josh is ultimately responsible, I think the emphasis on protecting the football, hero ball, etc is forcing him to overthrow the ball and subconsciously thinking only his guy will have a chance at the ball, thus an overthrow.   Obviously something is in is head on those, because all his other throws are coming out more naturally.  

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I think I know who you think deserves more blame here. I probably wouldn’t disagree but I suspect you think the gap is bigger than it should be. 

Daboll is a problem and so is Allen. I don’t think firing Daboll magically makes Allen a better passer (you may not either)

Other than the deep ball, Allen is fine as a passer.

Hell , let him run the damn plays himself.

Let him sit in the shotgun and pass and tell him to run when he sees open field in front of him.

Another irritating thing with Daboll are the designed runs.

Allen is effective as a runner primarily on passing plays after things have broken down and he choses to run. Last year his average YPC on scrambles was more than double what it was on designed runs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Dabol is 60% at fault for our offenses play...the other 40% is oline,allen,penalties and drops..and since imo daboll is over half to blame he is the weak link period...he is the head of the offense and he doesnt call to his teams strength..him passing the ball 41 times and running it only 15 is right there to see...same with the philly game in 45mph winds..still a pass happy game..smh

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Other than the deep ball, Allen is fine as a passer.

Hell , let him run the damn plays himself.

Let him sit in the shotgun and pass and tell him to run when he sees open field in front of him.

Another irritating thing with Daboll are the designed runs.

Allen is effective as a runner primarily on passing plays after things have broken down and he choses to run. Last year his average YPC on scrambles was more than double what it was on designed runs. 

I have no problem with throwing a lot. I also have no problem with given Allen the freedom to do whatever he wants at the line (I think he already has that freedom). 

At the end of the day though, I obviously don’t think Allen is as good as you think he is.

Just the other week I posted a chart that showed Allen was one of the worst rated passers in the league when facing a blitz. So yeah, maybe with a clean pocket and enough time he’s a fine a passer, but unlucky for him QBs don’t have that luxury on majority of their snaps.

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes.  Trans...there’s no reason to go back and forth.  You set the bar so low for Bills QB’s and it’s not worth arguing.  

Allen was not good enough today.  It’s that simple.

No. I'm sorry but you're just wrong here.

Yeah, Allen threw the ball 41 times.

17 of those passes were when the game was basically turned over to Allen on the last drive of the 1st half and the last drive of the game. Between those 2 drives that took up less than 5 minutes of the over 28 minutes of TOP we had, Allen threw 17 times for 165 yards, was 3/5 on 3rd down conversions, including a 3rd and 13 after an offensive penalty put him and the team in a precarious situation--Lee Smith, if you're reading this... STOP DOING THAT!!!

Allen was 9/17 for 165 for a 9.7 YPA on those 2 drives in those less than 5 minutes

For the other 23+ minutes of the game pretty clearly called by Daboll, he was 13/24 for 101 yards for a 4.2 YPA.

The OP is right. Let Josh be Josh. Maybe he should just be handed the ability to call his own plays all game on Sundays.

18 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I have no problem with throwing a lot. I also have no problem with given Allen the freedom to do whatever he wants at the line (I think he already has that freedom). 

Disagree that he's given that freedom in any real sense.

Maybe he's told he has it, but I definitely agree with the premise of this thread that Daboll and McDermott are trying to rein him in.

Just look at the wild disparity in 2 drives to end each half vs the rest of the game.

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No. I'm sorry but you're just wrong here.

Yeah, Allen threw the ball 41 times.

17 of those passes were when the game was basically turned over to Allen on the last drive of the 1st half and the last drive of the game. Between those 2 drives that took up less than 5 minutes of the over 28 minutes of TOP we had, Allen threw 17 times for 165 yards, was 3/5 on 3rd down conversions, including a 3rd and 13 after an offensive penalty put him and the team in a precarious situation--Lee Smith, if you're reading this... STOP DOING THAT!!!

Allen was 9/17 for 165 for a 9.7 YPA on those 2 drives in those less than 5 minutes

For the other 23+ minutes of the game pretty clearly called by Daboll, he was 13/24 for 101 yards for a 4.2 YPA.

The OP is right. Let Josh be Josh. Maybe he should just be handed the ability to call his own plays all game on Sundays.

Disagree that he's given that freedom in any real sense.

Maybe he's told he has it, but I definitely agree with the premise of this thread that Daboll and McDermott are trying to rein him in.

Just look at the wild disparity in 2 drives to end each half vs the rest of the game.

Well of course you disagree with anything that may suggest Allen isn’t the MVP candidate type of player you want him to be.