Let Josh be Josh?

oldmanfan

15 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

The thing at issue is that if a D is worried about your deep passing attack, they can't stack 8 in the box every single play.  Josh Allen isn't making any D coordinators worried about that.  He will complete a couple per game that go for 25 yards but that's more the receiver getting YAC

Josh Allen is 9th in the league in "Intended Air Yards per Attempt" 

The issue isn't that we aren't trying. The issue is we aren't connecting on them. 

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2019/all#average-intended-yards

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Actually the NFL's definition of a deep pass is anything over 15 yards.

Next Gen, the site you listed has it at 20 yards.

And then he has completed deep Balls unlike what people are saying.  What he isnt hitting are the Low % Go routes.  Maybe they should run some more of the seams and Digs he DOES complete

• Like (+1) 1

I dont mind him learning how to become a game manager. 

Because a great QB needs to become whatever is required to win each week.

Last year he couldnt hit a 5 yard slant. He has drastically improved his short passing game this off season.

A raw kid like this learned something in one offseason. It at least shows hes coachable and can improve his game.

Honestly i think we are at the point where just time will make him a better QB. Hopefully he has the right coaches to get him there.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

And then he has completed deep Balls unlike what people are saying.  What he isnt hitting are the Low % Go routes.  Maybe they should run some more of the seams and Digs he DOES complete

That would be very un-Daboll-like.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

What's the reason why Frank Gore is getting the 2nd most 8 men boxes?  Would you do that against a team that can beat you over the top?

You need to have that threat they if they getting close the LOS that you can beat them over the top.  We aren't doing that see they keep stacking.

Just now, Gugny said:

That would be very un-Daboll-like.

I am also trying to figure out where this Josh has a great deep ball comes from anyway?  It has to be just because of his Arm because last years numbers showed he struggled with the Deep Routes too.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Do they actually do that?  Does he get to throw out plays?  Audible?  I haven't seen that commented on.

Yeah, Allen's spoken on it before. He and Daboll have sat down several times to go through the playbook and try to find what they think is gonna work for them. I don't think they completely get rid of plays, they might just put it on the backburner and use it when it seems like it'd work on a certain opponent or something.

What's the reason why Frank Gore is getting the 2nd most 8 men boxes?  Would you do that against a team that can beat you over the top?

You need to have that threat they if they getting close the LOS that you can beat them over the top.  We aren't doing that see they keep stacking.

The reason Frank Gore is getting 40% in the box is because when they run they are out of the 2 TE Set, and all the Big Guys piled into the middle.  

11 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I thought my point was pretty clear. Even if Allen is bad, there will still be people who will argue otherwise (like they did for EJ and Tyrod) and call you a hater. It won’t be until the team moves on that they will finally accept that said QB was in fact not good.

So in response to the question about the player, you made a comment about the fans.

You can see why that's not as clear as you intended.

Because when you have Lee Smith and Knox (who seems to forget how to catch) in the game yeah that puts 8 defenders in the Box.  Go look at the Formations Bills RUN out of

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Well, I see it both ways............we hate his gunslinger throws that get picked, but we hate the Tryhard Taylor approach also. Gonna be an interesting rest of the season!

WE don't. You might. I want him throwing it as much as possible.

3 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah, Allen's spoken on it before. He and Daboll have sat down several times to go through the playbook and try to find what they think is gonna work for them. I don't think they completely get rid of plays, they might just put it on the backburner and use it when it seems like it'd work on a certain opponent or something.

I nee to go back and watch some of the earlier games where he came on in the fourth quarters, what plays were called, etc.  Seems to me he's much more decisive in those cases.

I am also trying to figure out where this Josh has a great deep ball comes from anyway?  It has to be just because of his Arm because last years numbers showed he struggled with the Deep Routes too.

I haven't looked at the stats, but my guess is that Josh took more downfield shots last year, thus completed more downfield shots last year.

This offense has missed Foster.

I don't know what the hell is going on with him.  Is it that he's lazy?  Is it that McDermott just doesn't like him?  His lack of snaps is perplexing to me.  Whatever the root of it is, the result is that Allen doesn't have a deep threat if he's not on the field.

Allen improved at the short to intermediate passes.  That's where games are won.  Even by the best QBs/teams.

If Daboll would call a game that makes sense and properly utilize the players who ARE on the field, I think we'd see this offense be a lot more productive.

Daboll is the biggest problem on offense ... by a long shot.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I haven't looked at the stats, but my guess is that Josh took more downfield shots last year, thus completed more downfield shots last year.

I don't know what the hell is going on with him.  Is it that he's lazy?  Is it that McDermott just doesn't like him?  His lack of snaps is perplexing to me.  Whatever the root of it is, the result is that Allen doesn't have a deep threat if he's not on the field.

Allen improved at the short to intermediate passes.  That's where games are won.  Even by the best QBs/teams.

If Daboll would call a game that makes sense and properly utilize the players who ARE on the field, I think we'd see this offense be a lot more productive.

Agreed 100%.  When Foster is playing, teams have to respect the deep threat.  All this smug, too-cute, multi TE sets where everyone is shoulder to shoulder like the 1902 NY Giants is just the dumbest thing in this day and age.  Spread the O out, get Foster on the edge, and complete a couple passes early, stop the safeties from cheating up

Because when you have Lee Smith and Knox (who seems to forget how to catch) in the game yeah that puts 8 defenders in the Box.  Go look at the Formations Bills RUN out of

You're all about "trends", especially when it's going down and Lee Smith's snaps have been going down.....

So you're going to be firm that it has nothing to do with Allen being able to beat teams over the top....50% is Lee Smith and the other 50% is Knox?

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Josh had an accuracy rating of 40% on balls that traveled 21 yards by air last year.  Football Outsiders I cant find if they do this real time or wait until the offseason so hard to compare

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-19-deep-ball-project

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah, Allen's spoken on it before. He and Daboll have sat down several times to go through the playbook and try to find what they think is gonna work for them. 

BREAKING: Photo of Daboll’s most recently-updated playbook heading into Week 9 has been leaked.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWLAXGp-1sbP7R-US9OfE

Edited by Wayne Arnold