On This Day ... 1986 ... Thank You, Bill Buckner!

Gugny

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Over S.Dakota.   Or Nebraska.

Just trying to be factual.

I think they narrowed it down to a certain time period.  Not sure where the plane was though. 

25 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My buddy dressed up like Payne Stewart’s ghost for Halloween that year.  He won best costume at the party we went to.  Pretty horrible, but everyone who knew who Payne was got a laugh out of it.

Rich folk... LoL...

Hope your buddy didn't have to wear "white face."  Pretty explosive times now, could come back to haunt (pun intended) him.

?

As a long time Red Sox fan, it took a long time to get over this play.

When the Sox finally won in 2004, it flushed all the crap right down the drain and I have never viewed my fandom of the Red Sox the same since.

Nothing bothers me anymore.  We got the monkey off our backs and then repeated several more times, which was nice, but nearly as important or incredible as 2004.

Now, nothing can happen that is so bad to bother me or upset me again.

Most Buffalo sports fans (Sabres and Bills) probably don't realize it, but your fandom may well change dramatically if either of these teams ever wins a championship.

Things will be a lot more relaxed around here and dare I say a lot of fans may drift away from the team.

I've lived it and seen it with others and the Red Sox.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

As a long time Red Sox fan, it took a long time to get over this play.

When the Sox finally won in 2004, it flushed all the crap right down the drain and I have never viewed my fandom of the Red Sox the same since.

Nothing bothers me anymore.  We got the monkey off our backs and then repeated several more times, which was nice, but nearly as important or incredible as 2004.

Now, nothing can happen that is so bad to bother me or upset me again.

Most Buffalo sports fans (Sabres and Bills) probably don't realize it, but your fandom may well change dramatically if either of these teams ever wins a championship.

Things will be a lot more relaxed around here and dare I say a lot of fans may drift away from the team.

I've lived it and seen it with others and the Red Sox.

If the Bills or Sabres go on a Pats**-like run with championships I'm going to be the most obnoxious ***** anyone's ever met.

And to clarify, I mean more obnoxious than I am now.

• Like (+1) 1

I was a grad student in Binghamton at the time. The next day I was talking to a friend who told me that he turned off the TV when he saw the Red Sox breaking out the champagne in the dugout. Then he heard the whole apartment complex roar, turned the TV back on, and saw what happened.

Buckner took too much crap for that loss. It wasn't exactly an easy play to make, and the Sox had plenty of other opportunities to win the game and the series. (Sound familiar, fellow Bills fans?)

Was cheering for the Mets, one of the ten most dramatic sports moments of my 50 years of watching 

back in the day where I sat there and watched the whole telecast, the YouTube video of Mookie is over 6 minutes long for the at bat and immediate celebration.

now I’d get through it in 2 minutes with a PVR

Just now, WhoTom said:

Buckner took too much crap for that loss. 

He should never have gone out there on D for that inning.

Enjoyed his Curb appearance and Larry, a Yankees fan, doing a Buckner as well..

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

If the Bills or Sabres go on a Pats**-like run with championships I'm going to be the most obnoxious ***** anyone's ever met.

And to clarify, I mean more obnoxious than I am now.

Get in line.

I have a LOT of ***** to talk to a LOT of people.