Will the Stadium Stay in Orchard Park? Hear me out

Hammered a Lot

On 10/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, Mrbojanglezs said:

Have we heard anything on the stadium feasibility study? It was supposed to be done in late summer.

When i was there for the Eagles game, I went and caught a sabres game. While I was in the line for stuff at the labatt house, I actually took a survey for the stadium people.

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

If a new stadium is going to be built, regardless where it is located, it will nearly all be on Pegula. 

Someone posted awhile back that the Pegulas were discretely buying land around where the current stadium is located. Do you know anything about that? Is there enough land around the current stadium where a new stadium could be built if that was the direction the owners were to take. 

I hate the negativity associated with public funding for stadiums. I hate taxes as much as the next guy, but they are taking this money anyways. It isn’t like if they don’t build the stadium I am getting a tax break. I would much rather funnel some of it for a stadium in WNY, even one used 8 times a year. The alternative is use it on some pork filled program or for NYC. 

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I hate the negativity associated with public funding for stadiums. I hate taxes as much as the next guy, but they are taking this money anyways. It isn’t like if they don’t build the stadium I am getting a tax break. I would much rather funnel some of it for a stadium in WNY, even one used 8 times a year. The alternative is use it on some pork filled program or for NYC. 

If there is a choice between funding education, medical care, elderly care, public safety and the public funding of a stadium for a billionaire the priority should be to use the tax dollars for public needs. That is not to say some money shouldn't be allocated for a stadium but the bulk of the money required to build a stadium should be the responsibility of the owners of the team. Some priorities are obviously more essential than others.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If there is a choice between funding education, medical care, elderly care, public safety and the public funding of a stadium for a billionaire the priority should be to use the tax dollars for public needs. That is not to say some money shouldn't be allocated for a stadium but the bulk of the money required to build a stadium should be the responsibility of the owners of the team. Some priorities are obviously more essential than others.  

If that’s all the money is going to, fine. But you know it isn’t. Look at all the wasteful spending and pork barrel legislation. How does the education system rank? How about healthcare. All the money in the world can’t save certain programs once legislators get their hands on it. Build the stadium. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

8 hours ago, Hammered a Lot said:

I don't think they are buying land around the current stadium. If they were I'd have heard about it by now. Lot 4 is were a baseball stadium was going to be built so one would guess that could be the spot. Lot 3/bus Lot combined with land from ECC south could also work. 

The land where Del Lago sits in the Finger Lakes was all purchased by a shell company to keep the acquisition cost low.  I would imagine that is now standard operating procedure with big money people.  I guess they get tired of being treated as fools wearing bend me over signs if they do it undisguised.  It would not surprise me that the Pegula's are buying land around the stadium on the QT.  That or somebody is speculating that at some point the Pegula's will be buying and is poised to meet the demand.

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2019 at 2:47 PM, JohnC said:

I had to go to Buffalo General Hospital last week. 80 percent of the roads sucked. Pot holes, poor patch jobs just a very rough ride. Not enough Buffalo police cars so their talking about saving money and leasing them! Buffalo is so broke they can't afford losing valuable land & the  property tax money it provides. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Hammered a Lot said:

I had to go to Buffalo General Hospital last week. 80 percent of the roads sucked. Pot holes, poor patch jobs just a very rough ride. Not enough Buffalo police cars so their talking about saving money and leasing them! Buffalo is so broke they can't afford losing valuable land & the  property tax money it provides. 

Gravel, patch and such are very expensive. It looks like your property taxes may need to increase.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

I hate that billionaire owners and the most profitable professional sports league in the country (world?) extorts municipalities for new stadiums with the threat of relocation.  I hate that self-interested and spineless politicians play ball with the NFL as a platform for re-election.   

23 minutes ago, Hammered a Lot said:

I don't live in Buffalo. But my property taxes did go up.

If your property taxes went up to pay for public services such as infrastructure, schools, libraries, police/fire etc I'm not feeling sorry for you because directly or indirectly you are benefiting. Where I agree with you is when your tax dollars go to subsidize a private citizen, a billionaire, then I sympathize with your stance. I have no problem using public money for the costs associated with the infrastructure required in the building of a new sports facility. However, the bulk of the costs should be the responsibility of the private owner who directly benefits from the project. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

If your property taxes went up to pay for public services such as infrastructure, schools, libraries, police/fire etc I'm not feeling sorry for you because directly or indirectly you are benefiting. Where I agree with you is when your tax dollars go to subsidize a private citizen, a billionaire, then I sympathize with your stance. I have no problem using public money for the costs associated with the infrastructure required in the building of a new sports facility. However, the bulk of the costs should be the responsibility of the private owner who directly benefits from the project. 

The additional revenue the stadium generates from other events should go back to the owner who built the stadium to help offset the cost of building it and the maintenance. 

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

The additional revenue the stadium generates from other events should go back to the owner who built the stadium to help offset the cost of building it and the maintenance. 

Very often the additional revenue generated through additional hotel taxes, restaurant taxes and ticket taxes etc. are used to pay off the cost of the bonds that the government issues to cover their contribution. The owner will generate more money from a new facility compared to the generation of revenue from an antiquated facility. So he should be able to handle his own costs.   

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

I see it coming downtown.

That’s still in WNY, so it’s fine with me. I’m happy as long as they are still in WNY. I’ll leave the details to others, but my worst fear is averted. I have loved OP since ‘73, but IF they move on it will not be a crushing blow to me. If they left WNY I may have been largely done with the NFL. I’m glad I won’t find out. 

Edited by Augie