Concussion Protocol: NHL v. NFL

Mango

What is it about the two leagues or sports that have such different turn around times when diagnosed with a concussion.

In the NFL if a guy misses 3 weeks for a concussion, it is an eternity. JA and a ton of other players come back the next week. A guy like Sidney Crosby misses almost a year. 30% of the NHL misses at least 10 days before going back to practice. The NFL averages about 6 days.

Seems like one league/sport is treading more carefully than the other. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

NHL has guaranteed contracts and the NFL doesn't

Are you saying that NHL teams are protecting their assets better because they have to pay them anyways, and the NFL doesn’t care because of the money line? 

Or that NHL players are willing to take more time off because they’re getting paid anyways?

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

Are you saying that NHL teams are protecting their assets better because they have to pay them anyways, and the NFL doesn’t care because of the money line? 

Or that NHL players are willing to take more time off because they’re getting paid anyways?

the NHL is used to stars taking time off, a few great careers have ended a little early due to concussion

the NFL has no time for esoteric injuries, you play if you can get out there, broken bones and all

(i'm not endorsing this view but i still watch every week...)

• Like (+1) 1

NHL is a much longer, more physical (overall) season.  Missing a few more games in a NHL season doesn't hurt as much as it does is the very short NFL season.

The NHL does tend to error on the side of caution much more so than the NFL.  Not just it's star players, but everyone.  Your guess is as good as mine as to why that is so. But with every game being so important to the standings in the NFL, and coaches/GMs jobs depending largely on standings, ultimately I think that is the root cause.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

What is it about the two leagues or sports that have such different turn around times when diagnosed with a concussion.

In the NFL if a guy misses 3 weeks for a concussion, it is an eternity. JA and a ton of other players come back the next week. A guy like Sidney Crosby misses almost a year. 30% of the NHL misses at least 10 days before going back to practice. The NFL averages about 6 days.

The 2 biggest differences is the schedule and the IR rules.  It has little to do with treatment.

NFL - the player is on the active roster and the team can let him sit for essentially a week before being in the next game.  They cannot use IR to bring additional players in and the missing 1 NFL game is equivalent to missing over 5 NHL games - which for Buffalo Sabres - 5 games missed would mean the next game from last night would be 10/17 - a full 2 weeks after the 1st game.

NHL - they have a 7 day IR available- so if they get even a minor concussion they will be placed on that and get replaced by an active player.  This allows a minimum of 7 days - plus any additional days before the next game.  If a Sabre got concussed last night and went on the 7 day IR - their next game would be 10/14 - 10 days after the concussion - even if he was cleared prior to the 7 days - he would still be missing the days.

It is very hard to equate the two sports between the rules and the timing of the games.  Looking at it both seem to clear most players in 5-7 days - for the NFL that gets them ready for the next game - In the NHL they miss more games, but a smaller percentage of the season and the individual player is not missed because of the 7 day IR.

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Do you have a link to the data?

There are short ones in the NHL too. But it is true it seems most in the NFL are done with quickly.

At least now they are on it, from officials to observers to even... the players. Even a tough guy like Gore asked to be checked for one (game 1 or 2?) . Thankfully he came back, but just the fact he could ask and that he did is a HUGE step up.

I know of NHLers treated by a friend of mine for concussions (for their neck, cranium and jaw injuries that clear the way to concussion recovery) and many HID them, as they were bubble players and some in contract negotiation. So it'll be an ongoing issue.

What is this "NHL" thing?

I'd seriously like to watch and learn whether or not I actually like it, but it is completely absent in Oklahoma television programming.

I have been to one minor league game - Tulsa Oilers, and I hated it. The only thing that got the croud into the game was a few fights. the big screen just kept playing reruns again and again.  I went with a pastor and a couple of uppity ups in the church and they were as blood thirsty as the rest of the crowd. We all had our young children with us. I was completely un entertained.

FYI, No, I havent been to church since my Bible thumping ex wife stepped out with the next door neighbor. Some of yall remember that tale.

4 hours ago, Mango said:

because football plays less games so there is less chance of getting reinjured.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Does that have the NFL numbers too? A cursory look only had NHL.

I originally read an old article. Just found this one which is more up to date. I guess NFL players spend an average of 16 days off the field now. Feels like that isn’t the case. But I guess it is. Probably just seems that way because of guys like Allen or Tyrod who are down for just a bit. Then you see a guy like crosby basically lose a season. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2604023

basically this deems my entire post invalid until I can find updated NHL data. ?

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Maybe it's because hockey season is 18 months long.

the ice speed of hockey players colliding is often faster than man running, and NHL men on the blue line carry a significant larger amount of mass than an NFL DB, the boards cause a sudden stop as well adding to the impact, ice is less forgiving than a football field for impact as well.

i have never felt concern for an NFL hit as i have for dozens of hockey hits

this one was a big deal, seems like yesterday.

Edited by row_33