1st quarter of the season is over...thoughts

Dopey

The Bills should pretty easily get to 10 wins and make the playoffs in a weak AFC.

Miami x2, Washington, Denver, Pittsburgh and the Jets should all be wins. Those are all bottom 10 NFL teams.

That puts us at 9 wins.

Win 2 more from the Titans, Eagles, Browns or Ravens, and we'll be in the post season.

Overall the Bills are probably one of the five most talented teams in the NFL. Their defense is elite, their offensive line is much improved, their running game is solid and they have enough weapons on offense. 

Their biggest issue is at the QB position. If they can sort that out they'll be contending for Super Bowls. 

The NE game may well be an isolated event and they hopefully improve moving forward.   

The concern is a blueprint now exists for defeating the Buffalo offense which opponents will attempt to replicate.  Yes, the defense was stellar and a force to be reckoned with for any offense in this league.  At the same time, this offense cannot get out of its own way, primarily because Allen and Barkley have holes in their play which opposing DCoord's are going to exploit.  Bet on it. 

If you're not improving, it's regression.  McD, Daboll, and especially Allen need to make some huge strides soon to get back on track and prove the offense can score consistently.

Edited by BillsVet

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

What “fear”? I enjoyed yesterday’s game. A young upstart team had an awful start, didn’t give up, and gave the world champs a run for their money, making their 42 year old QB look like a 42 year old QB. Any reasonable person would have expected this to go in the L column. Those 11-5 or bust fans are crushed. I’m happy! 

I had the Bills losing this one and by a big margin pre-season.

So far, my predictions have been correct. I have them at 10 wins, and I see NO reason to back off that number.

They WILL beat Miami twice, and complete the sweep of the Jets.  That gets them to 6.

So they need 4 out of Tennessee, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, cleveland, baltimore, dallas, denver and new england. I like those odds.

The Bills are still in  good shape.

4-0  KC and NE

3-1 Buffalo Bills 

8 teams are sitting at 2-2 

Five Winless teams - NYJ, Miami, Pitt, Cincy and Bronco's.  

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So far, my predictions have been correct. I have them at 10 wins, and I see NO reason to back off that number.

They WILL beat Miami twice, and complete the sweep of the Jets.  That gets them to 6.

So they need 4 out of Tennessee, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, cleveland, baltimore, dallas, denver and new england. I like those odds.

3 W's in the books 1 L

of the 6 listed (bold) 4 should be easy wins.  

Miami s/b 2 easy wins.  Possibly the same for the NYETS 

Philadelphia, Dallas and NE are the challenges.

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

The Bills are still in  good shape.

4-0  KC and NE

3-1 Buffalo Bills 

8 teams are sitting at 2-2 

Five Winless teams - NYJ, Miami, Pitt, Cincy and Bronco's.  

We have FIVE games against those winless teams coming up.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Well, I think we agree more than we disagree. Right now, fivethirtyeight.com projects us as a 10-6 team. That takes into account the 3

wins already baked into the cake and of course the strength of schedule going forward. That translates into a 57% chance of making the playoffs. As I said, I’m happy with the season so far! 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, I think we agree more than we disagree. Right now, fivethirtyeight.com projects us as a 10-6 team. That takes into account the 3

wins already baked into the cake and of course the strength of schedule going forward. That translates into a 57% chance of making the playoffs. As I said, I’m happy with the season so far! 

Sorry for the snark, as I mentioned elsewhere I'm sub-optimal today.

;)

Overall, there is no way you can complain about a 3-1 record. But dig a little deeper and you'll see that the record is due to the D being lights out and the schedule being very easy. The O has improved slightly from last year but needs to continue to improve or they will not get to 10 wins. Special teams remain a joke.

I got losses to Philly, Browns, Cowboys, Ravens and Pats. So unless this team can steal one of those games there is little room for error in order to make the playoffs.

Josh Allen is tough to gauge. Yesterday's game sort of took any positive thoughts about progress I may have had and squashed them, very disappointing. There still looks to a better chance that he is not the guy than that he is, which is not ideal.

Our D is elite.   

our OL needs to be better pass blocking.  Improving it should be our number one priority this offseason. 

Josh Allen gives me hope. 

John Brown is one of the best off season acquisitions in the nfl.  He’s legit.

Juggerknox is our TE of the future and I’m excited about the prospect of getting home more involved in the offense.  

Daryl Johnson May be our LDE of the future.  Kid looks like a legit pass rusher 

15 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Sorry for the snark, as I mentioned elsewhere I'm sub-optimal today.

;)

don't you mean in-sub-stantial ?     

;)  :D 

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

If I could figure out to accurately search this forum, I'd show you I was in on 3-1 months ago. But  meh, thinking is hard today.

yeah the search algorithm sucks.   

I think we're in a good spot. We've just had an "oh - *****" moment that will define our season one way or the other... Either we'll shake it off, and we'll grow into the potential that we have which is a 10-12 win team who nobody will want to face in the playoffs, or else it'll be the shadow that keeps sneaking up on us throughout the rest of a disappointing season. 

We're in the drivers seat for a wildcard (we could actually win 2 of the 4 divisions if that's how it worked) and I think we showed that even at our worst, we'll take teams to the mat. I like our identity, I think we're going to get better and better and I think Singletary rushes for 150+ yards next week. 

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

If I could figure out to accurately search this forum, I'd show you I was in on 3-1 months ago. But  meh, thinking is hard today.

I'm not really sure why anyone thought anything but 3-1 through the first quarter?...

Edited by whatdrought

My thoughts....

I'm  thrilled to be at 3-1, and we had a real chance at being 4-0.

Offense:

QB. Josh Allen is playing better than last season, but he still needs to make improvements. The turnovers are frustrating, but I'm confident that Allen will get better from it. Allen is a daredevil, and that may never change. It's great to see him get into a rhythm with his receivers, which is his biggest improvement. Let's see how he does as the season continues.

RB: I was sad to see Shady go, but the running game is doing very good. Frank Gore is still an impressive runner and Devin Singletary has already made his mark on the team. Let's hope he gets healed up soon. It was great to see TJ Yeldon being used as a receiver yesterday, which is where he really excels at. Patrick DiMarco is a good blocker, but having him line up is a wide receiver is not what I want to see. 

WR: John Brown has been a great addition and Cole Beasley is very reliable. Isaiah MCKenzie has been a pleasant surprise. Now the bad. Zay Jones has shown little. He's had a couple of clutch catches, but he is not showing that he's the top receiver that we were hoping he could become. Yesterday's game did not help him at all, Robert Foster has disappeared. Granted, this is only his second year, and he's playing behind a pair of good veterans, so I feel that he still has time. This position is far better than last year, but still has room for improvement.

TE: Tyler Kroft is nowhere to be found, and honestly I'd rather have Dawson Knox and Tommy Sweeney get all the playing time they can get.

Knox is really coming on strong, and he has potential to be something special. Lee Smith is a good veteran player, and useful as an extra lineman, but sending him out on deep patterns is a waste of time.

OL: What an improvement over last year's horror show. The run blocking has vastly improved, pass blocking has been fair, and I might be generous with that assessment. Mitch Morse, Jon Feliciano & Quinton Spain are the strength of the line. Fion Dawkins has been shaky and Cody Ford is much better as a Guard. Ty Nseke is adequate. It's clear that this unit needs more time to gel, but overall they have played good.

Defense:

DL: Ed Oliver has been a very good addition. I'm surprised at how much of an impact he has already made. Shaq Lawson wants a big contract and he is showing it with his play. Star Lotuleile is overpaid, but does his job. Jerry Hughes doesn't have big numbers right now, but again is doing a good job. Jordan Phillips has not missed a beat ever since he joined us and has shown his value. The season ending injury  to Harrison Phillips is unfortunate, so let's see what Kyle Peko can do in his absence. Has anyone seen Trent Murphy?

This unit as a whole has looked very good.

LB: Tremaine Edmunds just gets better and better. You can see it in his play, Against the run and pass he is a strong player. Matt Milano is also playing good ball and he also covers the field well. Lorenzo Alexander does good as both a pass rusher and run defender. This unit has shined for us.

DB: This is the strength of the defense. TreDavious Whote & Levi Wallace are a tough tandem at CB. Jordan Poyer & Micah Hyde are excellent as our Safeties. Siran Neal has done an admirable job filling in for the injured Taron Johnson , and Kevin Johnson has been very good depth for us. I love this defense/

Special Teams:

K: Stephen Hauschka is doing very good. 2 missed FG's, one a desperation of over 60 yards, does not have me worried at all.

P: Corey Bojorquez is adequate. We can get better.

KR/PR: Andre Roberts has only played two games, but we've seen how good he is at this position. Very satisfied.

Coaching:

I like Sean McDermott, and I like the mentality he gives to the players. The one thing that concerns me about McDermott is that there appears to be no killer instinct. The Bills had many times to bury the Giants and they let them hang around longer than they should have. Same thing foes for the game against the Bengals.

What he and Leslie Frazier have done for the defense is very impressive. It is clearly the strength of the team and one of the best in the league.

Brian Daboll is an enigma. All the intermediate pass plays to john Brown and Cole Beasley is very good. Lining up Patrick DiMarco wide and sending Lee Smith deep, is confusing.

I like Josh Allen running the QB sweep, but don't like the QB draw.

My biggest issue with Daboll is how long it appears to take for the play call to get in. This was especially evident during yesterday's game. Several times the players looked confused as to what they were supposed to be doing. Meanwhile the play clock was approaching zero. This caused hurry up snaps or having to waste a time out. This happens too much, and I do not understand what the disconnect is. 

This has got to change.

Overall, I like where the Bills are headed. We shall see what happens these next 4 games. Hopefully Allen will be alright to play against the Titans, and the rest of the season.

It's early, but this team has all of the makings of a playoff contender. GO BILLS!!!

I expected the Bills to split the first two away games, just because winning on the road is not easy, so I expected them to be 2-2 at this point.  They should make the playoffs. 

How far they go now and in the future depends on Josh Allen.  Daboll and McDermott should ask him this question: do you want to be a top-tier NFL QB who knows how to manage and win games, or do you want to be that kid at Wyoming who thought he had to do it all and carry the team on his back?

I think the Bills can make the playoffs with Barkley, but they need Josh to take that next step to in order to achieve their ultimate goal.