Should Shaq be starting instead of Trent Murphy?

GreggTX

Who should start at Left DE?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start at Left DE

• Murphy
    • Shaq

15 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Shaq also moved inside a couple of times to rush from a pseudo DT position which gives him some different flexibility.

Yeah there werr times I saw both Shaq and Hughes out there at the same time.  Before that I kept thinking wow is Shaq really taking that many reps from Jerry, but it was mostly because he was noticable on so many of the reps he did have.

20 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

strange that people keep putting "start" in quotes in this thread

So interpret start as the guy who is gonna trot out on first down on defense. For me that would be Shaq. As for which would play more that depends on gameplan and game situation. If Shaq does his job well and that means more 2nd and 3rd and longs then Murphy would end up playing more. 

The bottom line for both these players, IMO, is that they are both playing much better this year than last. Murphy, as advertised, is healthy, and it shows. Shaq has steadily gotten better every season. What a great problem to have. But, I suspect that at least one of these guys will not be a Bill next season, and if he keeps playing the way he is, it will probably be Shaq. I wish we had picked up his fifth year option.

16 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We'll see how Shaq plays next season once he's been a free agent who performed this season because the Bills didn't extend him.  Just a thought.

Here's the thing though, I think Shaq has performed well over the last 2 years. I kinda feel for the guy. He gets drafted higher than he should have and by an inept coaching staff that stunted what was already a really good defense before that staff was brought in. Then they "fix" things by bringing in Rob "fully pregnant" Ryan. He was also brought in to be a 3-4 D.E. That made no sense to me, at all. He was drafted that high, even the Rex and the staff knew he had a bum shoulder. He had surgery on that shoulder before the season even began(if memory serves me right), so that's a lost rookie season right off the bat because of Rex and crew. He was never a "sack machine". He was a solid 4-3 DE who holds up on the edge well. Seems to me Shaq has been developing nicely since the new regime has taken over. He's getting good coaching and is playing in a position he is more suitable in. I think Shaq will play very well wherever he is next season and I hope it's here. I also think he'll play well here this season, but it won't be because he wasn't extended. That makes it sound like he hasn't tried until his "contract year" and that is flat out false. He's not crying about this, but he is a victim of circumstance: Wrex Ryan and that awful regime. Just a thought.

Voted for Shaq, by the way.