ESPN article about the Bills

Stallions

This ESPN article sounds GREAT for the Bills until you re-read the first sentence.   The Buffalo News makes us sound like guaranteed contenders.  What's your view?

Bills 2019 Season in a Nutshell-- Marcel Louis-Jacques ESPN Sports 9-2-19

The Buffalo Bills are ranked No. 26 for 2019 in ESPN's preseason Football Power Index.

The Bills want their young quarterback to opt for his check-downs and intermediate options over pushing the ball downfield this season. His ability to do so and take care of the ball is paramount to offensive success in 2019.

A rebuilt offensive line (Mitch Morse, Quinton Spain, Ty Nsekhe, Cody Ford), a rebuilt receiver room (John Brown, Cole Beasley) and bolstered backfield (Frank Gore, Devin Singletary) give the Bills a new look in 2019. If Allen can take care of the ball and make smart decisions, this unit should be markedly improved from 2018.

MarcelLouis-Jacques is the new beat reporter and so far he’s been pretty honest in his reporting. 

It’s the hacks that don’t do the proper leg work that post stupid things.  Imo of course 

11 minutes ago, Stallions said:

This ESPN article sounds GREAT for the Bills until you re-read the first sentence.   The Buffalo News makes us sound like guaranteed contenders.  What's your view?

• Like (+1) 3

Stallions, nothing against you in particular here. But I just thought I'd take the opportunity here to point this out:

ESPN didn't say this. Marcel Louis-Jacques, from ESPN.com said that. ESPN has (please excuse the exaggeration) 1,000 different reports/announcers/analysts with 1,000 different opinions. Same with CBS, Fox, NFL Network, SI, etc.

Carry on.

• Like (+1) 1

We should absolutely be ranked in the 20's. What have we proven to be ranked higher?

If we win a bunch of games we'll go up in the imaginary rankings. If we lose a bunch we'll go down. That's how these things work.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

MarcelLouis-Jacques is the new beat reporter and so far he’s been pretty honest in his reporting. 

It’s the hacks that don’t do the proper leg work that post stupid things.  Imo of course 

Agreed.  He's been really good, actually. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

We should absolutely be ranked in the 20's. What have we proven to be ranked higher?

If we win a bunch of games we'll go up in the imaginary rankings. If we lose a bunch we'll go down. That's how these things work.

Exactly. I think it’s a bit of a joke when fans get butt hurt over their team being shafted in rankings. Go win the games. That’s all that matters. We haven’t done anything yet and there is good reason for “experts” to be skeptical. Nothing to see here...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stallions said:

Well, I'll take your word about that.  If he knows what he's talking about we ARE the 26th ranked team out of 32 heading into the season.  Not good!

We went 6-10 last year. Should we be vaulted into the top 15 for no reason?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Exactly. I think it’s a bit of a joke when fans get butt hurt over their team being shafted in rankings. Go win the games. That’s all that matters. We haven’t done anything yet and there is good reason for “experts” to be skeptical. Nothing to see here...

I agree!  I'm not butt hurt at all.  I think way too many people have jumped on the Allen train with out seeing anything to justify it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Stallions said:

Well, I'll take your word about that.  If he knows what he's talking about we ARE the 26th ranked team out of 32 heading into the season.  Not good!

He is not responsible for the 26 

the clueless ESPN consortium is.   

Where did we draft?  

THAT s/b where the Bills are ranked 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stallions said:

I agree!  I'm not butt hurt at all.  I think way too many people have jumped on the Allen train with out seeing anything to justify it.

Well...to be fair, we have seen it. He’s markedly improved with his reads and short game. Time will tell if it translates to wins on the football field, but I certainly wouldn’t bet against it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Marcel Louis - Jacques has been just about as good as a beat reporter you can find on ESPN. He seems to really enjoy covering the Bills and it appears as though he is very honest with his evaluations. Never too positive, never too negative and he gives a lot of insight into the team. 

Night and day better than Rodak but still not good enough to cover the other crap that ESPN puts out.

• Like (+1) 2

Why in the world do people get so worked up about these stupid prognostications? If the Bills actually win, what on God's green earth does it matter what some writer opines about in early September?

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 3

ESPN doesn’t even try anymore. Sure, there’s a smattering of quality talent lurking around there still amongst the legions of hacks, but as a whole they’ve grown fat as lazy off their past success. Save your brain cells and skip ESPN (especially reading anything they put out.)

40 minutes ago, MJS said:

I really understand and agree with this.  What ESPN said is true - Buffalo is a collection of really interesting talent that may or may not be able to win a lot.  Still, you can't rate them too highly yet, because they haven't DONE anything yet.   I think is true and a fair assessment.  I happen to believe it's easy to see how nicely all of the ingredients fit, so the experts are likely to be surprised.  But some of my belief is just based  on how badly I want the Bills to be really good this time.  

Nothing matters in the end except the Ws and the Ls.  Whether these guys actually can win a lot is yet to be seen.  

• Like (+1) 1