James Webb Space Telescope

TSNBDSC

On a related note, was listening to Seth Shostak the other day from SETI.  He said they are doubling the speed at which they can monitor radio emissions every 18 months.

With that exponential growth of speed, he said he'll bet anyone a cup of coffee we find something in 20 years, when their searches will have been in the millions, instead of something like 600 or 700 conducted to date.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Foxx said:

do you think they'll find freezie pops ego out there?

If your ideas weren't so vapid you probably wouldn't have to resort to unprovoked personal attacks that clearly violate the TOS.  Don't worry though, I'm amused and curious enough to wonder what you'll write when your expectations continue to be shown as fantasy.

Webb has a lot of fantastic scientific use cases.  Luckily headlines about aliens can be used to lure people into learning about its actual value.  It's expensive but it is an important step.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

If your ideas weren't so vapid you probably wouldn't have to resort to unprovoked personal attacks that clearly violate the TOS.  Don't worry though, I'm amused and curious enough to wonder what you'll write when your expectations continue to be shown as fantasy.

Webb has a lot of fantastic scientific use cases.  Luckily headlines about aliens can be used to lure people into learning about its actual value.  It's expensive but it is an important step.

LOL    personal attack?   

1. I don't know what freezie pops is supposed to mean.  
  2. I don't know what transpires in the PPP 
  3. Part of the mission is to find / verify life on the universe. 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL    personal attack?   

1. I don't know what freezie pops is supposed to mean.  
  2. I don't know what transpires in the PPP 
  3. Part of the mission is to find / verify life on the universe. 

1. At one point freezie pops was my pronoun

2. Irrelevant

3. Ok.  Good luck with that.  The other stuff should be awesome

Foxx needlessly called me out in a thread where I hadn't even posted, implying that I have an overinflated ego.  In general, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw bitcoins but whatever.

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

1. At one point freezie pops was my pronoun

2. Irrelevant

3. Ok.  Good luck with that.  The other stuff should be awesome

Foxx needlessly called me out in a thread where I hadn't even posted, implying that I have an overinflated ego.  In general, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw bitcoins but whatever.

2. maybe. 

3.  10 billion USD has been invested in looking for intelligent life and habitual planets.  

I find / feel people let their angst in the PPP  carry to the top floors.  ;)

What goes down in the PPP should stay there.

Yes, Foxx mentioned you here, but it really wan't that harsh IMO.   

The point here is that you deny any existence of intelligent life and are not even open to the possibility of it. 

it also appears as if you would be very skeptical even when proof is provided. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

2. maybe. 

3.  10 billion USD has been invested in looking for intelligent life and habitual planets.  

The point here is that you deny any existence of intelligent life and are not even open to the possibility of it. 

Huh?  I hadn't even posted in this thread.  

On PPP, Foxx and I haven't interacted much but I'd say we agree far more than we disagree.  He knew of my former pronouns from there but that doesn't bother me.  I'm guessing PPP had really nothing to do with him calling out my "ego" and it was more about the UFO thread where he has been consistently frustrated by facts.  It was an unnecessary, even if weak, personal shot.  I never said it was harsh but that really isn't the point.  I haven't gone into a thread, posted a link to Foxx's profile, and implied negative things about him/her/Fp.  I follow the rules of the board.

Question for you: Of the $10B invested in finding aliens what results have been achieved?  If we'd invested $10B in the search for leprechauns, would that have been a worse investment thus far?

I am never skeptical of proof about any topic, when it is actually proof.  

I suspect that that we will continue to disagree on intelligent life elsewhere and propose we do that in the UFO thread.  This thread was about Webb which should be interesting once in place.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

On a related note, was listening to Seth Shostak the other day from SETI.  He said they are doubling the speed at which they can monitor radio emissions every 18 months.

With that exponential growth of speed, he said he'll bet anyone a cup of coffee we find something in 20 years, when their searches will have been in the millions, instead of something like 600 or 700 conducted to date.

Maybe.  But the thing is, they'll be from eons ago and those civilizations will be long gone.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Maybe.  But the thing is, they'll be from eons ago and those civilizations will be long gone.

Not necessarily.  There are many Earth like planets right in our back yard in our own galaxy.  

He's not talking about getting signals from stuff that is 1,000 light years away or more.

I realize he's a bit biased with all that, but his comment is interesting.  The point is that they are increasing the speed with which they can search the universe, exponentially.  Once the searches hit a high enough number, they will find something.  Almost certainly.

Unless you think "life" is unique to Earth.  Some do, I know; but that's probably just about impossible.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

2. maybe. 

Is that directive actually in their mission statements? My understanding is that the Webb mission is designed to explore the origins of the universe, which isn’t necessarily related to finding alien life. Finding alien life would be cool, don’t get me wrong, but I think that has to happen within the confines of the primary mission goals. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Is that directive actually in their mission statements? My understanding is that the Webb mission is designed to explore the origins of the universe, which isn’t necessarily related to finding alien life. Finding alien life would be cool, don’t get me wrong, but I think that has to happen within the confines of the primary mission goals. 

Your understanding is correct.  Russia Times is wrong.  You don't look for aliens in the near-infrared spectrum Webb is optimized for.  Deep space observations are dine in near-IR.

RT is just pulling nonsense out of their ass with that statement.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Kill joy 

origins of the universe could lead to origins of life and finding intelligent life 

it was that or getting into searching for a habitable planets because global warming is killing the earth  :D

22 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Your understanding is correct.  Russia Times is wrong.  You don't look for aliens in the near-infrared spectrum Webb is optimized for.  Deep space observations are dine in near-IR.

RT is just pulling nonsense out of their ass with that statement.

In theory would an alien version of Tom Petty screeching it's way through a rendition of Free Fallin generate enough IR heat to be detected by Webb?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Not necessarily.  There are many Earth like planets right in our back yard in our own galaxy.  

He's not talking about getting signals from stuff that is 1,000 light years away or more.

I realize he's a bit biased with all that, but his comment is interesting.  The point is that they are increasing the speed with which they can search the universe, exponentially.  Once the searches hit a high enough number, they will find something.  Almost certainly.

Unless you think "life" is unique to Earth.  Some do, I know; but that's probably just about impossible.

So the nearby earth-like planets/solar systems weren't what they focused-on initially?  Seems odd.

Edited by Doc

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

If your ideas weren't so vapid you probably wouldn't have to resort to unprovoked personal attacks that clearly violate the TOS.  Don't worry though, I'm amused and curious enough to wonder what you'll write when your expectations continue to be shown as fantasy. ...

dude, i'm sorry if i got your knickers in a wad. i was only playing and bustin' on ya, no harm meant. if you think i broke the TOS and upset you, i'm sorry... it wasn't meant to be that way, it was more lighthearted than anything. 

7 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

... Foxx needlessly called me out in a thread where I hadn't even posted, implying that I have an overinflated ego.  In general, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw bitcoins but whatever.

it was based upon your incessant need to try and prove anyone and everyone wrong who happens to believe in the possible chance of intelligent life outside of that which resides upon Earth. the vociferous manner in which you do so makes one wonder whether it is yourself that you are trying to convince or if you are truly afraid that those aliens might be coming here looking for you. either way, the chosen stance you have taken is ... out there.

nice, hit (kudos) with the Bitcoin reference. though  i firmly believe in crypto as the future of commerce, i am not nearly as intense in defending my stance as you are with the intelligent life elsewhere thing.

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

... On PPP, Foxx and I haven't interacted much but I'd say we agree far more than we disagree.  He knew of my former pronouns from there but that doesn't bother me.  I'm guessing PPP had really nothing to do with him calling out my "ego" and it was more about the UFO thread where he has been consistently frustrated by facts.  It was an unnecessary, even if weak, personal shot.  I never said it was harsh but that really isn't the point.  I haven't gone into a thread, posted a link to Foxx's profile, and implied negative things about him/her/Fp.  I follow the rules of the board. ...

correct, we have not interacted a whole lot down in the dungeon, though i do suspect as well, you are right in that we probably agree much more than we would disagree on political matters. hell, we probably agree on a whole lot of other items as well. i think your '12th' meme is funny as hell but i think you know that as well. i just hope your really wrong, though i would not be surprised if you are right.

yes it was related to the UFO thread. however, in no way was it due to frustration of facts. your belief that you have presented a strong and sound argument backed by factual evidence shows the level of misconception you are under, with regard. i do not believe you have convinced even one soul here, that is how vapid your arguments have been.

again, i apologize, i was just busting on ya. now i know that you can't take a joke and hence forth i shall never play with you again. all interaction will be straightforward. if it would make you feel better, go ahead and post a link to my profile with my chosen pronoun, which by the way is, 'Foxx'. it wouldn't bother me in the slightest and if it helps, more power to it.

also, i just get a kick out of your chosen pronoun, i think it is too funny, hence why i use it in reference. but i shall desist. i mean all of the above in earnest and hope we're , 'good'.

it's all good man.

;)