Retired FB LeRon McClain Pleads for Help, "I have to get my head checked."

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Then again better hurry the Settlement is about out of Cash with 660M of the 1B obligated.  So only 340M left in the money grab and then we can stop hearing about it.

Then maybe these players should go back to their PARENTS to float their Bills on this topic

I don't want to sidetrack the topic, just have to point out that employment in a dangerous job isn't always the choice you've presented it here as.

6 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I’m not here to start a war with my fellow Bills fans but I sure am about to fan the flames.....

If you really feel it is awful what is going on with NFL players, how can you tune in on Sunday’s and support that league?

I don't think it's awful...it is their choice.  But from my perspective, these guys lay their bodies literally on the lines for us to give us entertainment....I don't want these guys suffering for the rest of their lives.  More research, advancements of medicine or the gear or anything else...I really hope the science community can't start understanding how to slow down or even prevent CTE.

I know a ton of people who chew tobacco.  They know it can cause cancer and if one of them gets it...I'm going to feel horrible for him even though he "did it to himself".  

I cheer for these guys on Sunday, I think about each game during the week, they provide great entertainment and gives us so much to talk about.

I am not going to be crying in my pillow every night knowing guys are suffering post career....but when I do hear about players like Talley and Gardner suffering....I really hate it.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I don't want to sidetrack the topic, just have to point out that employment in a dangerous job isn't always the choice you've presented it here as.

Name me ONE player that was EVER Forced to play football.  Because I will tell you those players ARE NOT that good anyway to make it to the league

Yep I played Big Time youth sports, and College Ball as well NOT once was I FORCED to play by my parents.  It was ALWAYS my choice.

Well, "force" isn't really the best term. How about "pushed by" and "strongly encouraged to"? He was born in Indiana, his dad died in a car accident when he was 6, and his mom moved him to Alabama, where he played at Tuscaloosa County HS.  My point is that the pathways for these guys get set early, and if you're good, you're expected to stay on that track - and that goes double for kids from less fortunate backgrounds. It's one of the only ways out. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, "force" isn't really the best term. How about "pushed by" and "strongly encouraged to"? He was born in Indiana, his dad died in a car accident when he was 6, and his mom moved him to Alabama, where he played at Tuscaloosa County HS.  My point is that the pathways for these guys get set early, and if you're good, you're expected to stay on that track - and that goes double for kids from less fortunate backgrounds. It's one of the only ways out. 

OK Cool so he wanted it.  Because no player will ever be good enough to get to the league is they do not want it.  With the amount that goes into being the caliber to make it to the NFL you cannot get there if you personally are not choosing it.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Name me one guy who was ever forced to work in a coal mine.

So the ONLY thing these guys ever could do was play football?  They couldnt um be a Fire Fighter?  A Cop?  A Soldier?  A personal Trainer?  A Coach?  The ONLY could be a football player?  So because of that they had NO OTHER CHOICE but playing football?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

OK Cool so he wanted it.  Because no player will ever be good enough to get to the league is they do not want it.  With the amount that goes into being the caliber to make it to the NFL you cannot get there if you personally are not choosing it.

You appear to be deliberately missing my point. It's as if you assume 14-year olds are fully formed and fully autonomous actors who are impervious to suggestion and punishment/reward psychology. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, MAJBobby said:

So the ONLY thing these guys ever could do was play football?  They couldnt um be a Fire Fighter?  A Cop?  A Soldier?  A personal Trainer?  A Coach?  The ONLY could be a football player?

If a cop or fireman is killed in the line of duty...do you not give a damn because it was his choice?  He could have been a Coach or a Personal trainer etc.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think it's awful...it is their choice.  But from my perspective, these guys lay their bodies literally on the lines for us to give us entertainment....I don't want these guys suffering for the rest of their lives.  More research, advancements of medicine or the gear or anything else...I really hope the science community can't start understanding how to slow down or even prevent CTE.

I know a ton of people who chew tobacco.  They know it can cause cancer and if one of them gets it...I'm going to feel horrible for him even though he "did it to himself".  

I cheer for these guys on Sunday, I think about each game during the week, they provide great entertainment and gives us so much to talk about.

I am not going to be crying in my pillow every night knowing guys are suffering post career....but when I do hear about players like Talley and Gardner suffering....I really hate it.  

I don’t enjoy hearing about players suffering either. I just hate when people say, “this sport will be banned soon”, or that players don’t know the dangers. I mean, lets say they don’t know that blows to the head aren’t good for you.....would they all of a sudden walk away if they did know? This is the same sport where players get paralyzed on the field.

No I am not, there are MANY MANY ways out of a certain Life, FOOTBALL isnt the ONLY one.

Dude - who are you even talking to? That's hardly my point. You're giving an answer to me for an issue I didn't even pose. 

My ENTIRE point is that a) this starts a lot earlier than the NFL and b) players get tracked very early, usually with the prodding/strong encouragement of their parents. 

Edited by dave mcbride