Hong Kong Protest

3rdnlng

54 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Interested to see why you find that opinion idiotic.

Do you think it's better for the Chinese princelings to stay at home and continue to be indoctrinated by Communists or be fully exposed to Western culture during their formative years as adults?

What does taxpayer support of US colleges have to do with it?  Foreign students pay full freight and then some.  That actually helps the colleges' finances and allows for more financial aid to the needy students.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Do you think it's better for the Chinese princelings to stay at home and continue to be indoctrinated by Communists or be fully exposed to Western culture during their formative years as adults?

I kind of thought that would be your answer.

Would you say their exposure to western culture has changed China at all?

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I kind of thought that would be your answer.

Would you say their exposure to western culture has changed China at all?

Do you think the exposure to western culture has changed the Chinese in Hong Kong? It's a process.

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You realize, of course, than Hong Kong lived under UK rule for a century, yes? We're educating the children of our rival. 

That was my point. They have been exposed to western culture and prefer it over the Chinese culture.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You realize, of course, than Hong Kong lived under UK rule for a century, yes? We're educating the children of our rival. 

There are plenty of North American students that study in China.  

So we don't like the Chinese because of their form of government but we don't want them to experience what we consider to be a better form of government?  They'll just figure out we have a better system over here on their own?  And it will be easy for them when that better system won't even let them in the country to understand why it's better.

Or we'll have to go in and overthrow their government and install 1 we like?

Seems like you're advocating for war against China.  

LIKE A SCENE FROM A 21ST CENTURY CASABLANCA: Defiant Hong Kong Children Drown Out Chinese Anthem With Stirring ‘Les Mis’ Song. 

Except that Hollywood wouldn’t make a movie about this, because Hollywood is in the pocket of the Chinese government.

A longer clip since removed from YouTube showed the students singing the song twice, at the start of the ceremony and as the teachers filed out at the end. 

The song has become an anthem for protesters in the city seeking greater democracy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/4/2019 at 7:32 PM, meazza said:

There are plenty of North American students that study in China.  

https://www.ft.com/content/6665e98c-ece6-11e8-8180-9cf212677a57

At 360,000, there are now 30 times as many Chinese students in the US as there are US students in China

And I have to wonder how many of the American students are of Chinese descent, and might be getting an indoctrination from the Communist government, as much as a regular "studying abroad" experience.

I can't find much information about American students accused of spying in China (maybe it's suppressed?), but there are LOTS of cases involving Chinese students spying in the US.

But then there are 30 times more Chinese students here (and they are surely granted more freedom here in the US, than American students are in China), so maybe that's why there are so many more spying incidents?

I guess it's all the same then, huh Meazza? 

***** off.

Edited by OJ Tom

9 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

https://www.ft.com/content/6665e98c-ece6-11e8-8180-9cf212677a57

At 360,000, there are now 30 times as many Chinese students in the US as there are US students in China

And I have to wonder how many of the American students are of Chinese descent, and might be getting an indoctrination from the Communist government, as much as a regular "studying abroad" experience.

I can't find much information about American students accused of spying in China (maybe it's suppressed?), but there are LOTS of cases involving Chinese students spying in the US.

But then there are 30 times more Chinese students here (and they are surely granted more freedom here in the US, than American students are in China), so maybe that's why there are so many more spying incidents?

I guess it's all the same then, huh Meazza? 

***** off.

This warranted an empty headed “***** off”?

Lay out your policy prescription.