Tell me about charcoal grills

Augie

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 7:15 PM, Augie said:

My son is looking into a nice charcoal grill. As you may already know, I’m far too lazy and convenience oriented for such things. If I had room for both, I would have both, but I don’t. I know there was already a thread on this a while back, but I went back 20+ pages and searched “grill” and came up empty (but got some laughs looking at the old threads!). 

Any advice on what works best for you? Pros and cons? Anything to avoid? Best and worst brands? Best value? I know a lot of you know this stuff inside out. I know @plenzmd1, @CountryCletus, @Gugny and others are pros in this regard. Your suggestions are appreciated. Thanks! 

You can pick up a 22” Weber charcoal grill with the one touch ash sweep if you want to spend $125-$175..... i recently bough a Pit Boss pellet grill/smoker and LOVE IT!!!! Highly recommend the Pit Boss!

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/12/2019 at 7:50 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Does your son have a disabled, blind, wheelchair bound widow of a WW2 war vet living next door? If so, you’re in luck. @Gugny can tell you exactly how to “claim” it if she leaves it at the side of her garage some night. 

What if you have a father who is a WW2 vet who killed 50 men and has no shins?

On 8/12/2019 at 7:40 PM, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yes, do this if your are trying to blow yourself up and catch ***** on fire around you. lol. I'm assuming you were being sarcastic.

After your first put your fluid on and let sit for a couple mins, that's all you need to do. It will light just fine and burn just fine.

To the question OP I prefer charcoal over gas.Just gives it a better flavor IMO.I have a Kingsford Charcoal grill and have had it for 4 years so far, and it's been great and still is great.

But you should want to taste the meat, not the heat......

I have a propane Weber grill for a few reasons.  First, it's a hell of lot easier and quicker to use than charcoal.  Second, it is much better at even heat distribution over a large surface.

BUT, the flavor of charcoal cooked food is utterly superior and there is no arguing against that.

I have often thought I should get a second charcoal grill for special occasions or when I have the time to carefully prepare a nice meal, like a Sunday evening or something.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have a propane Weber grill for a few reasons.  First, it's a hell of lot easier and quicker to use than charcoal.  Second, it is much better at even heat distribution over a large surface.

BUT, the flavor of charcoal cooked food is utterly superior and there is no arguing against that.

I have often thought I should get a second charcoal grill for special occasions or when I have the time to carefully prepare a nice meal, like a Sunday evening or something.

I disagree on heat distribution. If you spread your coals properly, you cannot heat the grill more evenly. Gas gives you stripes of heat 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I disagree on heat distribution. If you spread your coals properly, you cannot heat the grill more evenly. Gas gives you stripes of heat 

Not with a good grill.  with gas you can also adjust the heat as needed, which is not nearly as easy with charcoal.

Although I realize a lot of grill cooking is about blasting with max heat.

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not with a good grill.  with gas you can also adjust the heat as needed, which is not nearly as easy with charcoal.

Although I realize a lot of grill cooking is about blasting with max heat.

charcoal very easy to adjust heat with the vents..and can always just move coals around!

Will say takes a while to get to know YOUR grill with charcoal..where it sits, the temp outside etc can all affect vent settings etc. 

One grill i really want but just cannot justify is one like this...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/659239654/argentinian-grill?gpla=1&gao=1&utm_campaign=shopping_us_DomeOvens_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=9443576&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2K3rBRDiARIsAOFSW_77fOrQ17dRGAjZUyGDJiA7MCVu2F1M2Qrb_Z5ZVRH21IxJmDYYDMQaAq7EEALw_wcB

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

charcoal very easy to adjust heat with the vents..and can always just move coals around!

Will say takes a while to get to know YOUR grill with charcoal..where it sits, the temp outside etc can all affect vent settings etc. 

One grill i really want but just cannot justify is one like this...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/659239654/argentinian-grill?gpla=1&gao=1&utm_campaign=shopping_us_DomeOvens_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=9443576&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2K3rBRDiARIsAOFSW_77fOrQ17dRGAjZUyGDJiA7MCVu2F1M2Qrb_Z5ZVRH21IxJmDYYDMQaAq7EEALw_wcB

I just ordered two of these (one for the front, one for the back).  Can't wait to get them!  https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/k750gs-gaucho-wood-fired-freestanding-grill-with-side-burner/

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I just ordered two of these (one for the front, one for the back).  Can't wait to get them!  https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/k750gs-gaucho-wood-fired-freestanding-grill-with-side-burner/

man, how nice would it be to have the cash to drop $30K on a metal firebox and a pulley system!

You know, i bet i can get some metal worker in Richmond to build me on of these things!

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

man, how nice would it be to have the cash to drop $30K on a metal firebox and a pulley system!

You know, i bet i can get some metal worker in Richmond to build me on of these things!

It's a neat concept.  Looks like a lot of fun.  Affordable ones are made, but I'd worry about durability.

Can you imagine being able to afford a $30K grill?  Man!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

It's a neat concept.  Looks like a lot of fun.  Affordable ones are made, but I'd worry about durability.

Can you imagine being able to afford a $30K grill?  Man!!!!!!

Man....if you're dropping 30K on a grill you better own a restaurant. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Charcoal-Kosher-Oppenheimer-USA/dp/B072QC92CD

I'm thinking of buying about a dozen or so. 

I’ve seen those for sale at convenience stores near beaches. Probably good for several minutes of cooking, which might be enough for a beach picnic.  Seems rather wasteful, but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it for occasional beach use.