1 dog vs 2 dogs

About 3 years ago,  my wife and I adopted a 50 lb beagle/Sheppard mix who has worked out wonderfully. Everything from sleeping to walking, eating, watching TV and playtime have been great. I was apprehensive at the time, having just moved into a new home, knowing all the work and time we wanted to put into it. Despite those feelings, my dog has been a fantastic addition to our family. He is easy going, blends with our schedule and feeds off our steady routine. 

Having just watched another dog this past week, we saw how great it could be for our dog to have another canine pal to play with. Specifically speaking, we wondered how the permanent addition of another dog would improve his quality of life while we are both at work (normal 8 hour days alone). 

Again, I'm weary of a change, as I've grown to love the routine, situation and set up we currently have. 

Am I being selfish? Should I cave and give the okay and hope for the best? Should I stand Pat and not jeapordize the success we've had from this adoption? 

What say you? Anyone adopt a second pup after a successful first? Thoughts? 

4 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

About 3 years ago,  my wife and I adopted a 50 lb beagle/Sheppard mix who has worked out wonderfully. Everything from sleeping to walking, eating, watching TV and playtime have been great. I was apprehensive at the time, having just moved into a new home, knowing all the work and time we wanted to put into it. Despite those feelings, my dog has been a fantastic addition to our family. He is easy going, blends with our schedule and feeds off our steady routine. 

Having just watched another dog this past week, we saw how great it could be for our dog to have another canine pal to play with. Specifically speaking, we wondered how the permanent addition of another dog would improve his quality of life while we are both at work (normal 8 hour days alone). 

Again, I'm weary of a change, as I've grown to love the routine, situation and set up we currently have. 

Am I being selfish? Should I cave and give the okay and hope for the best? Should I stand Pat and not jeapordize the success we've had from this adoption? 

First of all ... a beagle/Shepard mix???  Damn, I hope the beagle was the daddy in that one!!

I was VERY lucky to have had a dog who was fine being left alone for an entire work day.  Fine = no "accidents" or acting out in any way.  Seems that you've had the same luck.  That would be my only concern (in your current situation) - whether you'd be just as lucky with another pooch.

Either way, best of luck!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I loved having more than 1 dog (had 2, then 3, then 2 for many years). 

It’s was great to see the companionship the dogs developed. 

If you do decide to get another, I would definitely recommend going to the shelter and looking for a dog. You’ll be helping to save a dogs life #1. But also, if you find one you like you can then bring your current dog to meet them and make sure it’s a match before you take the new dog home. 

(and in my experience, mutts have less health issues than pure bred dogs anyway)

If your dog is male, I’d recommend getting a female. Or vise versa. Less chance for issues IMO, especially with 2 older dogs (vs bringing in a puppy). Your dog is less likely to be territorial with a dog of the opposite sex. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In my adult life I've never owned more than one dog at a time. Sounds like you have a good dog right now. If you do the same with the second dog as you did the first, you shouldn't have an issue. Who knows though, just like people every dog has it's own personality. Any thoughts on the breed of the 2nd dog?

15 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

In my adult life I've never owned more than one dog at a time. Sounds like you have a good dog right now. If you do the same with the second dog as you did the first, you shouldn't have an issue. Who knows though, just like people every dog has it's own personality. Any thoughts on the breed of the 2nd dog?

The Boss is real interested in a great Pyrenees- poodle female mix that is currently with a local foster family. 

46 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Try fostering a dog first.

I dog walk/sit/board in the summers, so he has had many overnight visitors and guests. They never have issues, but he definitely gets along better with some than others. On one hand he plays non-stop and couldn't seem more happy. On the other, certain dogs he will simply coexhist with, which is not my intended result.

2 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

The Boss is real interested in a great Pyrenees- poodle female mix that is currently with a local foster family. 

I don't have any experience with those breeds. Seems like people breed everything with poodles these days. I think its because poodles dont shed. Give it a go. Good luck?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve had at least one dog, and often two almost every year since college. (That’s a long time!)  My wife married me and two Goldens. In my case they became best friends, extremely attached to each other. The only downside was once when one became ill, and the healthy dog did a lot of damage in the house trying to be together. (Long story, tumor, lots of urine and ruined doors/trim.) The only damage any of my dogs have have ever done to a house. She missed her buddy.

I have a 10 year old Golden now, and my son just got a hyper puppy. I was curious if my dog could tolerate the high energy or might feel jealous. On the contrary, she LOVES it when they get together (often for days at a time), and the puppy mimics my dog, greatly speeding her learning curve. I found it was always helpful to have an older dog around to teach a puppy. They learn FAR more quickly from watching a trained dog than I can teach them alone. 

• Like (+1) 1

lol two dogs. try 6. More the merrier.

2x Saint Bernard (Gretchen, Baron)

2x Shar Pei (Lydia, Sophie)

1x Mini Schnauzer (Frieda)

1x Shih Tzu mix (Zach)

Some days, house is like a dog prison yard. More often than not, it's joyous. 2 of them (one Bernard, the Shih Tzu) are rescues. The others aren't.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I don't have any experience with those breeds. Seems like people breed everything with poodles these days. I think its because poodles dont shed. Give it a go. Good luck?

Also hypoallergenic and really smart. 

We had one dog and my husband always regretted not getting a second dog to keep him company. My husband wants another dog next year (we need time to grieve + we have travel plans), and will be looking for a bonded pair. If we cannot get that - I never want another pure bred, but hubby needs a dog (s) with hair, not fur - we will have the one dog for a year, and try and and introduce a second dog at a later date.

I think owning two dogs at the same time is in my future, like it or not.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We had one dog and my husband always regretted not getting a second dog to keep him company. My husband wants another dog next year (we need time to grieve + we have travel plans), and will be looking for a bonded pair. If we cannot get that - I never want another pure bred, but hubby needs a dog (s) with hair, not fur - we will have the one dog for a year, and try and and introduce a second dog at a later date.

I think owning two dogs at the same time is in my future, like it or not.

I think you’ll LOVE it. Two best friends in the same house, and they are their own best friends. Dogs have unlimited best friend capacity! Strangers can be their best friends! They are pure love! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I think you’ll LOVE it. Two best friends in the same house, and they are their own best friends. Dogs have unlimited best friend capacity! Strangers can be their best friends! They are pure love! 

Our last dog had a LOT of cat-like tendencies. According to him, were there to serve him. He fought me for 10 years over who was alpha (he lost, but he never gave up!) Hubby? Pfffffft  That dog was his baby and he had Hubby wrapped around his little paw.

18 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

We have had a second dog for about 2 months. It is quite possibly the worst thing in the world. The first dog was a rescue pit, the second is a small mutt. The first dog was well behaved until the second dog came

The normally quiet first dog is now very loud because the new one barks at everything. Walk down any set of stairs the little one barks and the big one comes running up to you barking in your face. The little one rolls around in feces so now the big one does it too. The big one has never peed in the house until we got the second, now you can’t leave for more than an hour or else the house is covered in pee. It’s like they have a competition to see who can make the most pee spots around the house. It’s disgusting. If someone pets one the other gets very jealous and aggressive. Since the second one has been here the first has been knocking over potted plants.

if they both ran away today I would be very happy. I don’t think hate is a strong enough word to describe my feelings towards them. But I’m an AHole because I don’t like something that pees and tracks feces through the house. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Sad 1

On 8/4/2019 at 8:26 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

We have had a second dog for about 2 months. It is quite possibly the worst thing in the world. The first dog was a rescue pit, the second is a small mutt. The first dog was well behaved until the second dog came

The normally quiet first dog is now very loud because the new one barks at everything. Walk down any set of stairs the little one barks and the big one comes running up to you barking in your face. The little one rolls around in feces so now the big one does it too. The big one has never peed in the house until we got the second, now you can’t leave for more than an hour or else the house is covered in pee. It’s like they have a competition to see who can make the most pee spots around the house. It’s disgusting. If someone pets one the other gets very jealous and aggressive. Since the second one has been here the first has been knocking over potted plants.

if they both ran away today I would be very happy. I don’t think hate is a strong enough word to describe my feelings towards them. But I’m an AHole because I don’t like something that pees and tracks feces through the house. 

It sounds like you have some territorial behavior/dominance issues from adding in this new dog (the peeing contest and rolling in feces, behavioral problems, etc). 

I’d recommend calling a good trainer to come in and give you guys some pointers on how to correct the issues. 

Edit - this may sound funny, but I would have you or your wife/kids start with walks. Every day, if possible. 

You want to train the dogs so they walk at your side and don’t lead. This is the most important part. You may have to train 1 dog at a time before you can walk both this way (I can give you some tips on how to train them to walk this way if you’d like. The easiest way is with a specific harness where the leash attach point is on the front (no-pull harness), or just putting the leash much higher on their neck, so it’s just behind the ears. When the leash is low on their neck they can pull all day long because they have that big breast bone there. When it’s higher on their neck, they can not pull like that. I usually start by using 2 leashes - one clipped to a harness, and another smaller leash around the neck just behind the ears). 

Walks do a lot of good. They tire your dogs out and make them easier to command/train and less likely to misbehave. They help form a strong bond with the dog. And they also (if taught to walk at your side) help establish you as the alpha/leader. 

It would teach both dogs that they need to submit to and follow the human (leader) without having to yell/scream (which often times can do more harm than good). 

You can also also hire someone to teach your dogs to walk in this manner, and even walk them every day for you (but it’s better if someone in your family does it IMO). 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2019 at 3:51 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

lol two dogs. try 6. More the merrier.

2x Saint Bernard (Gretchen, Baron)

2x Shar Pei (Lydia, Sophie)

1x Mini Schnauzer (Frieda)

1x Shih Tzu mix (Zach)

Some days, house is like a dog prison yard. More often than not, it's joyous. 2 of them (one Bernard, the Shih Tzu) are rescues. The others aren't.

I’ve been thinking of dog names. My 10 year old Golden LOVES having the son’s puppy around. Maybe become a 2 dog family again?

We voted 3-1 to name our current dog Bailey. Bailey was the name of the little redheaded girl who threw up in the car when my wife was young. They couldn’t get the smell out, traded the car in. Our dog’s name is Gracie

Maggie was a choice I liked, but that was my MIL’s (Americanized) name. I knew better than to suggest we name our dog Maggie. I’m not a COMPLETE idiot!