Cover 1 Denied Press Credentials by Bills PR Staff

43 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

NFL can say whatever they wish in their disclaimer. Its not really binding if its illegal.

Look at Bleacher Report 10 years ago. That site was no more than fan postings. Turner works for the Athletic . He's credible.

His credibility doesn’t seem to be questioned.  It’s more of an issue with how he uses NFL property for profit on his site/social media 

7 hours ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Cover 1 is good at they what the do. I love reading what they have to say, but they do provide a cliff note version on how to attack to our defense and how to defend our offense. As a fan I want them covering The Bills.  However if I was a member of the organization I would not accommodate them.

Why would you not accommodate them?

16 hours ago, Lurker said:

That All 22 subscription "right of usage" agreement states it is for personal , non-commercial use only--like virtually all other subscription agreements do.

http://www.nfl.com/help/terms?template=mobile-light&confirm=true

1. Copyright Rights

We own or license all copyright rights in the text, images, photographs, video, audio, graphics, user interface, and other content provided on the Services, and the selection, coordination, and arrangement of such content (whether by us or by you), to the full extent provided under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries. Except as expressly provided in this Agreement, you are prohibited from copying, reproducing, modifying, distributing, displaying, performing or transmitting any of the contents of the Services for any purposes, and nothing otherwise stated or implied in the Services confers on you any license or right to do so.

You may use the Services and the contents contained in the Services solely for your own individual non-commercial and informational purposes only. Any other use, including for any commercial purposes, is strictly prohibited without our express prior written consent. Systematic retrieval of data or other content from the Services, whether to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection, compilation, database or directory, is prohibited absent our express prior written consent.

I subscribe to the Tidal music service which give me virtually unlimited access to recorded (i.e., copyright protected) albums.   That doesn't mean I get to download and re-edit the material so I can personally benefit from that transformation of the original IP...

A company stating what they want does not make it the law - as they admit in their caveat above:

"to the full extent provided under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries."

Editorial use is why you can do movie reviews with edited clips, and news commentary, with edited clips, AND sports analysis with edited clips on the commercial entity YouTube - which runs ads on most videos (unless you pay them subscription fees).

In other news - for the purpose of commenting/analyzing/editorializing - people often post game and all-22 clips HERE on TBD - a site which makes money by running ads!

Having said that - the NFL could cut the Cover 1 guys off from subscribing to their All-22.  Not very practical though. 

I assume it's more to do with the fact they are reporting plays and concepts being practiced.  Its nieve and presumptuous to think they are the only ones who can see what kind of plays and concepts being practiced.  Breaking down the formation and actual concept in the method they are imo breaks an unwritten rule is journalism.  They have an extra level of access at St. John Fisher vs practices at OBD.  Actually, treating it like scouting will move them to moving from the training camp methodology and practicing in a controlled environment at OBD.  If the trip to Carolina goes well imo that will be the new training camp move.  1 week travel as a team practice vs an opposing team.  They have a state of the art recovery and rehabilitation during the most intense practicing it sits empty and not used.  It wont take much for them decide to practice at home for training camp.

56 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

FYI here is the Dallas Cowboys media policy:

https://www.dallascowboys.com/credential-policies

Thanks - as others have said already - the NFL (like many "content creators") is still struggling with how to deal with the new media realities.  They try to address some of it by providing their own cable and internet access, but the value added of the new media isn't the medium, it's the diversity.  They just can't be all things to all their fans - or at least not without investing a lot more money with dubious return on investment.

In fairness re: press credentials - just one example of the struggle - there's a limit to how many passes you can hand out, and even how many people you can vet.  How to decide who's real and who's just some guy.  Cover 1 does great work that appeals to a hard core sliver of the fan base, but  their YouTube videos/broadcasts only get hits in the hundreds. The internet/social media create a blurry line between "real" press and wonky part-timers.

In other realms where (unlike the NFL) there is no content monopoly and the overall dollar values are much smaller, the proliferation of outlets is generally welcomed - they have much less to lose, and happily accept all the publicity they can get.

btw - feel free to d/l, edit, and distribute any of my papers or online content!  Just attribute it!  We researchers will generally take all the visibility we can get!  :lol:

Edited by BobChalmers

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

His credibility doesn’t seem to be questioned.  It’s more of an issue with how he uses NFL property for profit on his site/social media 

Why would you not accommodate them?

..as I posted earlier in the thread, this is ALL McDermott......he wants minimal media exposure, accommodating only those he has to....barring our constructions workers setting up the Fisher Camp from being near the field they were practicing on until HE "issued the all clear" is a bit over the top.....I solemnly swear and attest they did not have direct feeds to Belichick or Putin...seriously?..........this is our 20th year and Mueller NEVER had to investigate us.........

2 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

A company stating what they want does not make it the law - as they admit in their caveat above:

"to the full extent provided under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries."

Editorial use is why you can do movie reviews with edited clips, and news commentary, with edited clips, AND sports analysis with edited clips on the commercial entity YouTube - which runs ads on most videos (unless you pay them subscription fees).

In other news - for the purpose of commenting/analyzing/editorializing - people often post game and all-22 clips HERE on TBD - a site which makes money by running ads!

Having said that - the NFL could cut the Cover 1 guys off from subscribing to their All-22.  Not very practical though. 

Pretty weak arguments, IMO.

"A company stating what they want does not make it the law"

A subscriber checking the "I agree" box on the terms and conditions registration form makes it a binding legal agreement.   

"Editorial use is why you can do movie reviews with edited clips, and news commentary, with edited clips, AND sports analysis with edited clips on the commercial entity YouTube"

Movie review clips are provided by studios to reviewers--they are not just copied willy nilly from the actual movie.   News commentary is in the public domain.   Pro sports analysis (using copyrighted footage) can be found on the Internet but its essentially whack a mole--most of those clips get taken down if the league goes to the trouble of enforcing their rights.

"people often post game and all-22 clips HERE on TBD - a site which makes money by running ads!"

Individual posters get nothing for posting here.  SDS making money on ads is irrelevant and not at all similar to Cover 1 charging for premium content.

Just now, Lurker said:

A subscriber checking the "I agree" box on the terms and conditions registration form makes it a binding legal agreement.   

"Editorial use is why you can do movie reviews with edited clips, and news commentary, with edited clips, AND sports analysis with edited clips on the commercial entity YouTube"

Movie review clips are provided by studios to reviewers--they are not just copied willy nilly from the actual movie.   News commentary is in the public domain.   Pro sports analysis (using copyrighted footage) can be found on the Internet but its essentially whack a mole--most of those clips get taken down if the league goes to the trouble of enforcing their rights.

"people often post game and all-22 clips HERE on TBD - a site which makes money by running ads!"

Individual posters get nothing for posting here.  SDS making money on ads is irrelevant and not at all similar to Cover 1 charging for premium content.

...nice assessment bud....and knowing SDS's commitment, I'd bet he covers his costs of the site as "BEST CASE"......

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Most of the All 22 footage that shows up here is hosted on social sites, namely Twitter or YouTube

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I assume it's more to do with the fact they are reporting plays and concepts being practiced.  Its nieve and presumptuous to think they are the only ones who can see what kind of plays and concepts being practiced.  Breaking down the formation and actual concept in the method they are imo breaks an unwritten rule is journalism.  They have an extra level of access at St. John Fisher vs practices at OBD.  Actually, treating it like scouting will move them to moving from the training camp methodology and practicing in a controlled environment at OBD.  If the trip to Carolina goes well imo that will be the new training camp move.  1 week travel as a team practice vs an opposing team.  They have a state of the art recovery and rehabilitation during the most intense practicing it sits empty and not used.  It wont take much for them decide to practice at home for training camp.

SJF will not be hosting camp in the next few years I predict

The facilities at home are just too good and they spent a bunch on them

And yes, real journalists do not break down concepts and the like... They report facts , not play scout

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

SJF will not be hosting camp in the next few years I predict

The facilities at home are just too good and they spent a bunch on them

And yes, real journalists do not break down concepts and the like... They report facts , not play scout

I agree.  Depending on how the trip to Carolina goes, that could be the team building/bonding lost by training at home.  The recovery and everything they have in place makes too much sense not to utilize it this time of the year.  The team is dealing with bumps and bruises now.  Having D3 facilities vs state of the art is really a no brainer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Idk why this is even a big deal. He is an amateur sports blogger/ writer 

99% of people cannot get credentials.  

If he really wants them he should get a job at the Buffalo news and then he can get them fairly quick

Erik is a pro...he's a member of The Athletic staff and makes money off his Cover1 work.

Sorry, he's bonafide.

12 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Erik is a pro...he's a member of The Athletic staff and makes money off his Cover1 work.

Sorry, he's bonafide.

Being a professional writer doesn't make you a professional scout, tho he does have an audience

He has never been employed in football by a team, in a scouting or coaching capacity

He gets paid to write

Edited by Buffalo716

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Being a professional writer doesn't make you a professional scout, tho he does have an audience

He has never been employed in football by a team, in a scouting or coaching capacity

He gets paid to write

He's been a coach . Im not sure the point. He is a pro...he gets paid. 

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He gets paid to write

So, because he doesn't do something for a living his skills and expertise do not have merit?