Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

How did Carter Hutton ever get a job as an NHL goalie? There isn’t a SINGLE aspect of the position that he excels at. Indeed, he flat out sucks at most of them. That third goal was a classic example. Perhaps the worst positional goalie in the league. 

And Eichel needs to get some time off. He is clearly not himself.

• Thank you (+1) 1

They played a decent game. Very good effort. But they can’t seem to find the back of the net, and a few breakdowns + some bad goaltending cost them another game.

If the playoffs weren’t dead yet they are now. But I still want to see them try to stay in the race. No quitting and packing it in. Keep giving this type of effort till the last game of the season. 

Alao, not gonna lie, I was kind of hoping if it got to OT that it would go to a shoot out, with Lehner in net. lol

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

How did Carter Hutton ever get a job as an NHL goalie? There isn’t a SINGLE aspect of the position that he excels at. Indeed, he flat out sucks at most of them. That third goal was a classic example. Perhaps the worst positional goalie in the league. 

And Eichel needs to get some time off. He is clearly not himself.

Agree on all points.    They have to solve the goaltending problem for next year.   Hutton's got one more year on his contract, but I want his ass out of Buffalo as soon as possible.    

Jack's still their most effective forward, even at 80%.    I don't know if sitting him does anything other than tell the team that management has given up...

Attached is a link on Krueger's post game comments on WGR. It is a 4 min plus link. Basically he said the effort was good but the our defensive lapses made the difference. In the interview he made some positive comments about Skinner's play. That is an oddity.

I only watched the first period so it would be unfair to comment about the game in general. What I can say is that in the Colorado game and the part that I watched in this game the team played with good effort but in the end ultimately the more talented team won out. Stating the obvious superior teams have a greater margin of error than inferior teams do. 

I thought in both the Colorado and Vegas game if we would have had better goaltending we could have come away with some points. I thought Lehner looked good in the first period. I'm not suggesting that Hutton played poorly for us but he simply wasn't good enough. 

From what I saw in the first period I was impressed with Kahun. On his goal he showed that he can skate and shoot. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/2-28-ralph-krueger-post-game

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

They played a decent game. Very good effort. But they can’t seem to find the back of the net, and a few breakdowns + some bad goaltending cost them another game.

If the playoffs weren’t dead yet they are now. But I still want to see them try to stay in the race. No quitting and packing it in. Keep giving this type of effort till the last game of the season. 

Alao, not gonna lie, I was kind of hoping if it got to OT that it would go to a shoot out, with Lehner in net. lol

I would say the playoffs were a pipe dream even a week or two ago.

Even if the Leafs went 9-8 the rest of the way the Sabres would need to go 14-4 just to equal their point total.

Teams with a negative goal differential usually don't make the playoffs.....Columbus should be checking out soon.

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/28/buffalo-sabres-danny-gare-rene-robert-jack-eichel-ralph-krueger/

Sabres legends Rene Robert, Danny Gare believe team is on the right path

I couldn't bring up the link. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to presume what their observations are. The team is not only steadily adding talent but it is playing with more structure and discipline under Krueger. There is more consistent effort and resiliency to this team compared to prior years. That is evident when after tough losses this team is less prone to stew about its plight and more prone to bounce back. A couple of weeks ago Colorado embarrassed the Sabres on its home ice. In the last game the visiting Sabres played Colorado virtually even in a loss.  I'm also sure that these two esteemed retired players also noted that we have a number of young players that are only going to get better.  It simply takes time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It feels hard to believe that it was just 5 days ago that they were talking about playing meaningful games in March. So much for that. Boy how quickly that dream died...

leafs on a tear, wins at Tampa and Florida and home to the Canucks

but 3 west coast games in 4 nights coming up

7 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It feels hard to believe that it was just 5 days ago that they were talking about playing meaningful games in March. So much for that. Boy how quickly that dream died...

It was a pipe dream, but, it was OUR pipe dream.

I take comfort in knowing that the team is on the right trajectory, or so I'm told.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, plenzmd1 said:

OKay, someone much smarter than me explain this one ..i am referring to the 2nd point. Thought he created enough room yesterday..and there is a penalty on top of the overage????????

How can you be this bad and have a cap overage penalty p

Not sure if this is it

What happens if an NHL team exceeds the salary cap?
If a player meets a performance bonus that pushes a team over the cap for the season, it's still technically part of the previous year's contract, and therefore hits the prior-year cap after the season is over. That's handled as a fine against next year's cap.
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

I couldn't bring up the link. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to presume what their observations are. The team is not only steadily adding talent but it is playing with more structure and discipline under Krueger. There is more consistent effort and resiliency to this team compared to prior years. That is evident when after tough losses this team is less prone to stew about its plight and more prone to bounce back. A couple of weeks ago Colorado embarrassed the Sabres on its home ice. In the last game the visiting Sabres played Colorado virtually even in a loss.  I'm also sure that these two esteemed retired players also noted that we have a number of young players that are only going to get better.  It simply takes time. 

JohnC, either you are a paid member of the Sabres marketing staff, or you are the most gullible sports fan I've ever known.

Which is it?

• Haha (+1) 1

"Growth path".  Sounds great.  Let me renew my sharply increased season tickets for some more of that!

Just got back from vacation.  Did they provide some kind of justification on why they gave up another draft pick for an upcoming ufa (simmonds)?  Their 2020 draft has been looted by botterill, which seems strange in light of this pretend master plan we keep hearing about.  Been working at 2022 as well.