SAT (yes that one) to add adversity scoring

18 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Free lunch rate?  :wacko:

Yep. NYC gives out free lunches because they figure some kids aren't getting fed at home. 

Oh, and NYC gives students free SAT prep classes. Does that result in a "negative" score?

This whole "adversity score" thing is just another twist in the boondoggle that college admissions have become. Not really moving the needle in my estimation. I bet many schools already try to take these factors into account. 

Edited by snafu

I still say 50% of kids that go to college should not have gone.   Cost way to much and they will never use their degree.  They will have a heavy price to pay on an education that will do them no good.  

College has turned into nothing but a huge business.  

Just my 2 cents.  

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, snafu said:

Yep. NYC gives out free lunches because they figure some kids aren't getting fed at home. 

Oh, and NYC gives students free SAT prep classes. Does that result in a "negative" score?

This whole "adversity score" thing is just another twist in the boondoggle that college admissions have become. Not really moving the needle in my estimation. I bet many schools already try to take these factors into account. 

The Free lunch and breakfast program is a federally funded program..for many kids, these are the best meals the will get during the week. snow days mean plenty of kids in lower-income school districts go hungry that day.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

The Free lunch and breakfast program is a federally funded program..for many kids, these are the best meals the will get during the week. snow days mean plenty of kids in lower-income school districts go hungry that day.

Agreed. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is ridiculous.

WTF...

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Where? Not here... And I am around/in dirt poor districts.

Fat azzes everywhere...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

38 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I know it exists.

32 minutes ago, row_33 said:

a friend's child has been hilariously deemed minority status on his school documents, he is in no mood to change that... can't blame him

Why would they change it, they'd be fools to.

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I know it exists.

Why would they change it, they'd be fools to.

he's of a nationality that is very very serious about itself....  let's just leave it at that... so it's twice the irony....

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ah... Nobody will find out. There are privacy laws to hide behind.

it's Canada as well... there really isn't much diff in your choice of undergrad for University across the nation.....

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

I still say 50% of kids that go to college should not have gone.   Cost way to much and they will never use their degree.  They will have a heavy price to pay on an education that will do them no good.  

College has turned into nothing but a huge business.  

Just my 2 cents.  

The easy accessibility of college loans has had the (maybe) unintended consequences of both burdening the non-thinking students with mountains of debt with no way of paying it back and the fattening of college coffers. I posted awhile back a story about the increase in "diversity" officers at I believe University of Michigan. They have 38 now. Think of that, in the past they had none or one or two.

I see advertisements all the time from either unions or employers looking for people to learn trades such as welding, electrical and plumbing. College kids need to learn that they can get paid a so/so wage to learn a trade that might bring $40+ an hour down the road rather than graduate with a degree where they can start working at some social agency for $18,000 a year with 100k in debt. The guys with the trades will eventually be building some type of barn to hold their boats, jet skis and snowmobiles while the guy with the undergraduate degree will be trying to figure out how he is going to get his 15-year old Lumina to pass inspection.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, snafu said:

SO I had to look it up because I thought the SATs were an Aptitude Test. Apparently that has changed:
"originally called the Scholastic Aptitude Test, it was later called the Scholastic Assessment Test, then the SAT I: Reasoning Test, then the SAT Reasoning Test, and now, simply the SAT."

So if it were an aptitude test I would say take this adversity shite out of the aptitude test and add it to the admissions standards.
But since it is now The SAT (pronounced like The Ohio State) I guess they can do whatever they want since there is no definition for the the acronym.
Leave it to "Higher Education" to have no definition...

Edited by Uncle Joe

On 5/16/2019 at 6:33 AM, BeginnersMind said:

Going through the college process right now and it's astonishing how different it is in many ways. The question on everyone's lips is "Are you a first generation college student?" Because if you are, boy do colleges want you!

Add this news, that the SATs are adding something called an Adversity Score this year. (The ACTs have one coming, so no worries: All the tests will have it soon.)

It will take into account the following factors to give a weighted score for admissions offices:

image.thumb.png.8b4bb9ba9a7aeb631ebb85bae5a8d8ae.png

I couple the above with this WaPo article (I can't read this today because I'm over the 2-per month article limit) about how colleges are struggling to keep their first generation college students in school. As I recall the article, students are struggling in spite of having a lot of support network. It turns out (shocker!) that they just weren't quite ready to be at Harvard.

Ugh, don't get me started on this!

9 hours ago, GG said:

As an aside, who was the first to use the term "soft bigotry/racism of low expectations?"

The first person I heard say it was Dubya.

On 5/16/2019 at 7:42 AM, Nanker said:

So, if they score high/low? enough do they just get handed their diploma or do they actually have to attend some classes first - you know - like Obama did. 

Barry did one better than say he was a 1st gen: he said he was born in another country (Kenya, even though I don't believe he was). 

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

My wife works in a poor school district and watches the kids toss their free breakfast and lunch in the trash day after day. The amount of waste is horrendous.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

My wife works in a poor school district and watches the kids toss their free breakfast and lunch in the trash day after day. The amount of waste is horrendous.

fries and gravy are more nutritional than a sandwich and an apple or orange

my janitor friends had their choice of heaps of perfectly fine food tossed away

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

fries and gravy are more nutritional than a sandwich and an apple or orange

my janitor friends had their choice of heaps of perfectly fine food tossed away

I have no idea what any of that means...but if you say so.