Trades. Picks. And all the drama. Welcome to the Bills draft room.

The look of relief on Beane's face when the Lions pick Hockenson is awesome.

I also wonder what it is about Greg Little that caused the Panthers to prefer him over Cody Ford.

Oh, and I LOL'd when the Bears offered NEXT YEAR'S 4th round pick to move up to our spot in the third round. Get real. Beane's expression said the same.

• Like (+1) 7

This is what Ive been waiting for. And why I'll always want OUR team on Hard Knocks. Gimme that inside info!

Wonder who they were trying to trade back into the 1st for? My guess is Neal.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Always love the inside the draft room videos. That moment when they see Carolina has traded up and they think Ford is gone you can see the absolute despair and then they take Greg Little and the whole mood changes again. 

Seems like Cincinnati wanted to trade up with us in the 1st. Guessing that was for Bush but who knows. Could we have traded back 2 and still got Ed Oliver? I think Bush was one of the two who would have gone at 9 or 10.... what might the Broncos have done at 10 if Bush was gone and so there was no Steelers offer? Oliver doesn't feel a natural scheme fit for them. Interesting to ponder but I am glad they didn't take the risk because maybe Atlanta jumps up to 10 and takes him. 

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

The look of relief on Beane's face when the Lions pick Hockenson is awesome.

I also wonder what it is about Greg Little that caused the Panthers to prefer him over Cody Ford.

I can answer the Little question - Left Tackle. To me if you are ranking guys to play LT in this draft it went Jonah Williams (though he might end up inside too), Andre Dillard, Tytus Howard, Greg Little. Carolina wanted someone who could play on the left side. 

• Like (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is what Ive been waiting for. And why I'll always want OUR team on Hard Knocks. Gimme that inside info!

Wonder who they were trying to trade back into the 1st for? My guess is Neal.

No it was Ford. They have already said that. They were trying to get up for Ford on Thursday Night. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Always love the inside the draft room videos. That moment when they see Carolina has traded up and they think Ford is gone you can see the absolute despair and then they take Greg Little and the whole mood changes again. 

Seems like Cincinnati wanted to trade up with us in the 1st. Guessing that was for Bush but who knows. Could we have traded back 2 and still got Ed Oliver? I think Bush was one of the two who would have gone at 9 or 10.... what might the Broncos have done at 10 if Bush was gone and so there was no Steelers offer? Oliver doesn't feel a natural scheme fit for them. Interesting to ponder but I am glad they didn't take the risk because maybe Atlanta jumps up to 10 and takes him. 

I can answer the Little question - Left Tackle. To me if you are ranking guys to play LT in this draft it went Jonah Williams (though he might end up inside too), Andre Dillard, Tytus Howard, Greg Little. Carolina wanted someone who could play on the left side. 

I think they did the right thing sitting and taking Oliver at 9.....who knows what would have happened between 9 and 11.   There are a lot of folks that felt Oliver was a top 5 guy.

It also seemed to me that a team taking Hockinson ahead of us didnt bother Beane at all.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Denver was not likely going to take Oliver, but I do think there would have been a substantial chance someone would have traded with Denver to get Oliver before our pick.  So if Oliver was our guy, best to take him at 9.  

Interesting scenario thought:  Lets say we did move back with Cincy.  And now at 11 and someone did take Oliver.  We could have moved back a second time with Pitt from 11 so they could get Bush.  We would have scored a lot of assets through moving down twice had someone jumped the ship and got Oliver.

But, for me, if you love a guy you take him over more picks.  Especially a top 5 talent like Oliver, so love that we stayed put and got their top guy on the board.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think they did the right thing sitting and taking Oliver at 9.....who knows what would have happened between 9 and 11.   There are a lot of folks that felt Oliver was a top 5 guy.

It also seemed to me that a team taking Hockinson ahead of us didnt bother Beane at all.

Yea it didn't but the fact that 6 was the spot at which they knew they were staying put makes means they had three guys they were happy with at #9. Oliver was clearly their first choice, I think Josh Allen would have been another... who was the 3rd? Maybe Hock? Maybe a tackle?

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Denver was not likely going to take Oliver, but I do think there would have been a substantial chance someone would have traded with Denver to get Oliver before our pick.  So if Oliver was our guy, best to take him at 9.  

Interesting scenario thought:  Lets say we did move back with Cincy.  And now at 11 and someone did take Oliver.  We could have moved back a second time with Pitt from 11 so they could get Bush.  We would have scored a lot of assets through moving down twice had someone jumped the ship and got Oliver.

But, for me, if you love a guy you take him over more picks.  Especially a top 5 talent like Oliver, so love that we stayed put and got their top guy on the board.  

I think Bush was the guy Cincy wanted at #9 so the Pitt offer wouldn't have been there. 

It would have been a huge risk to move back and I was delighted with the Oliver pick he was my guy all year basically I was advocating tanking for him when we started 0-2 and looking like a junior high team. I'm just spitballing on scenarios. 

• Like (+1) 1

Love seeing this behind the scenes stuff. I've not felt better about the entire FO from top to bottom since Levy/Polian. Even then, we new Ralph, bless his heart, was cheap and overbearing at times. Glad to see Terry n Kim have faith in our GM/Coach! Thanks for posting this. C'mon September!

• Like (+1) 4

Another thing that is interesting is he has Joe Schoen and Dan Morgan right there with him at the top table. I think Brandon Beane like any great leader knows his own strengths and weaknesses and I think he knows he isn't a natural scout. Those two guys are very important to him. He is a good strategist and a good leader but I think nobody should downplay the role those two have as pure talent evaluators. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Bush was the guy Cincy wanted at #9 so the Pitt offer wouldn't have been there. 

It would have been a huge risk to move back and I was delighted with the Oliver pick he was my guy all year basically I was advocating tanking for him when we started 0-2 and looking like a junior high team. I'm just spitballing on scenarios. 

Yeah, Bush certainly could have been the pick they wanted.  I do think Atlanta would have been aggressive to get Oliver like you suggested.  I don't know the Steelers DT situation at the moment, so I wonder how he could have fit there and if they still trade to 10 to get Oliver if Bush is gone?  

Either way, definitely was the right move to stay at 9 and take Oliver.  I never thought he was going to make it, and earlier in the offseason I wasn't sold they would take a DT at 9 (although I was totally on board in drafting Oliver still then) based on how much emphasis they were putting on offense.  But as the draft approached we saw them sign a gazillion offensive players, and that started to change things.  

Plus they brought Ed in and heard McD gush about how important 3T DT was in his scheme, it became clear they wouldn't pass on him at 9.  But at that point, I really thought there was little chance he lasted that long as he was getting serious top 5 buzz and still would need to get past Giants, Jags, and Lions if he made it out of the top 5.  

Man I just loved this draft, and thats coming from a guy who did very much want a WR early, but also one of the mid to late round guys I loved we still got as an UDFA.  So I was excited to still get Sills to compete for a spot.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

My Cousin and I were so upset that they didn't at least have the option to draft Hockenson and wondered if they were disappointed.  Meanwhile in Orchard Park they are praying he gets picked because it meant Oliver was theirs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Came back in because I realized... My favorite thing about this video: No Russ Brandon's stupid face lurking about in the war room!

Finally they are allowing the GM to really run the Draft. I like how the Pegulas and McD were there but only as observers.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1