V-Coach - Bennie Anderson signed

During Anderson's 4 year tenure, BAL has fielded 6 qb's (Boller, Redman, Wright, Blake, Grbac, Cunningham), several undistinguished WR's, a decent TE, along with heavy reliance on the run game.

I'll withhold judgement of his pass blocking until he plays under a more balanced and stable offensive system.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May we now be focusing on selecting the best available center in the second round to hopefully come in and start? or to replace teague at the end of his contract?

I would be very suprised if the Bills started a rookie center this year. With Losman starting, I would think they'd want a veteran who can recognize and call out line block adjustments on the line.

not surprisingly to many here, i think the move is weak and here is why......

bennie anderson is one of the last OG i wanted to see the bills sign this off-season.......while a good run blocker, he is a below average pass blocker......it is a weakness in his game that was exploited time and time again in BAL.......

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/index.asp

I dont have the time to dig up the stats and post them but check it out yourself. Turnstyle......yeah.

not surprisingly to many here, i think the move is weak and here is why......

bennie anderson is one of the last OG i wanted to see the bills sign this off-season.......while a good run blocker, he is a below average pass blocker......it is a weakness in his game that was exploited time and time again in BAL.......

despite the fact they have tons of cap room and run an extremely similar offense to BUF, the ravens made no effort to re-sign him because he was the weak link on that line......

but you all will be happy to know that I won't be calling TD cheap on this move -- seeing BAL signed vincent (who is an upgrade for them as he is a more complete player) to a smaller contract then bennie got, the bills overpaid.......

is he better then what the bills had? sure, tucker is worse in my opinion and bennie will be an upgrade overall, plus this improves the overall depth and leaves more options open on draft day..........but is it the best move the bills could have made? not in my opinion.......

just my two cents........flame away......

292966[/snapback]

Sure. And if it'd been Vincent you'd have been whining that we don't sign anyone except Pittsburgh rejects. :o

Curious who you'd list there.

Maybe Matt Birk, he's pretty strong. Or maybe Jeff Mitchell, but he's going to be busted for juicing. Maybe Kevin Mawae, but he doesn't count 'cuz he's one of them nogooddirtyrottencheaterwishwehadhims.

Most pro Centers are around 300lbs and they just aren't going to move those massive NT's off the LOS by themselves when they're giving up 50+ pounds.

You want a "Center who can move a 3-4 nosetackle off the ball"? Well, exactly who is it that you want?

why the hell would we cut teague?

Salary cap constraints.

What salary cap constraints? The Bills are like 2mil under the cap with enough flexibility to create even more space if they need it. Just like they will be every off-season as long as TD/Modrak are running the show.

They're not going to cut their most-improved player who also makes all their line calls. :doh:

We finally have the right attitude and "Beef" at the guard spots to implement a running game that has opponents wincing by the 4th quarter..

This is a great point, Tre. We were already doing a nice job leaning on people late in games last season and adding a rhino like Anderson is only going to make it worse for the bad guys. Not to mention it could get even fruglier if the Bills decide to regularly use the massive JPeters as a TE/extratackle.

Oh boy this is going to be fun..... :devil:

Maybe Matt Birk, he's pretty strong. Or maybe Jeff Mitchell, but he's going to be busted for juicing. Maybe Kevin Mawae, but he doesn't count 'cuz he's one of them nogooddirtyrottencheaterwishwehadhims.

Most pro Centers are around 300lbs and they just aren't going to move those massive NT's off the LOS by themselves when they're giving up 50+ pounds.

You want a "Center who can move a 3-4 nosetackle off the ball"? Well, exactly who is it that you want?

What salary cap constraints? The Bills are like 2mil under the cap with enough flexibility to create even more space if they need it. Just like they will be every off-season as long as TD/Modrak are running the show.

They're not going to cut their most-improved player who also makes all their line calls.  :doh:

This is a great point, Tre. We were already doing a nice job leaning on people late in games last season and adding a rhino like Anderson is only going to make it worse for the bad guys. Not to mention it could get even fruglier if the Bills decide to regularly use the massive JPeters as a TE/extratackle.

Oh boy this is going to be fun.....   :devil:

293274[/snapback]

Willis has got to be one of the happiest guys around today.

am I the only one that thinks upgrading our run blocking more important this year than pass protection? Once McGahee has the defense on its heels, Losman will have a much easier time passing. Even if his pass blocking isnt that great, Mularkey uses a different blocking scheme than other coaches were run blocking is much more important even on pass plays and has running backs and even receivers chip block players on the edges.

I seem to be alone here (except maybe J frm Hemet) in thinking that this means that Teague is OUT.  The fact is, his production vs. Tucker's probably doesn't justify his contract value vs. Tucker's.  I say he's a June 1 goner.

292767[/snapback]

Maybe not this year....but I think that the draft is going to spell doom for Teague in the long run......

I think next years offensive line is going to be:

Shelton

Bennie

Spencer

Villy

Williams

That is a LOT of beef.......a power running line

I think the bottom line here is that we are doing pretty much what we said we were going to do.....

- Feature the running game.....this has turned into a very big...a VERY BIG line....if Shelton comes this offensive line is going to absolutely MASSIVE.....with Teague being the shrimp at center at 300 pounds....a line designed for one thing....to beat on opposing teams defenses with battering ram Damion Shelton and followed up by Magehee.......

I think the bottom line here is that we are doing pretty much what we said we were going to do.....

- Feature the running game.....this has turned into a very big...a VERY BIG line....if Shelton comes this offensive line is going to absolutely MASSIVE.....with Teague being the shrimp at center at 300 pounds....a line designed for one thing....to beat on opposing teams defenses with battering ram Damion Shelton and followed up by Magehee.......

293704[/snapback]

I certainly love the sounds of that. especially with JP Losman learning the ropes.

The occasional pass downfield will torch them just nicely.

Just to give a little picture:

Shelton - 6' 6" 335 pds

Ben Williams - 6'5 345 pds

Tre Teague - 6'5" 300 pds

Villyman - 6' 3" 318 pds

M. Williams - 6'6" 350 pds

That my friends is a HUGE run blocking line that averages 329.5 POUNDS. That has to be one of the biggest lines in the league......

A footnote on that as well.....I still feel that the bills will take Chris Spencer with that 2nd round pick....who is 6'4 310 pounds and can play both guard and center......

Willis Magehee is out there lauphing his @ss off somewhere thinking about the 2000 yard season he is about to put up......

am I the only one that thinks upgrading our run blocking more important this year than pass protection?

293288[/snapback]

Not at all. When reseaching draft prospects for the OL, I specifically looked for size and the ability to blast people in the running game. Anderson has his issues and I hope he responds to some quality coaching. His positive is being 345 lbs. and moving forward, just because he wants to.

DeMulling was better in pass blocking and subpar in the running game, from every scouting report I read. He did nothing for me. So I targeted 2-3 Guards in the Draft who were massive 330-340lb. maulers in the running game.

Now I'm looking at the 2 guys who could start immediately at Center, if Teague bounces out to LT. Baas-Mich and Spencer-Miss.