Who's everyone's baseball team?

Ice bowl 67

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Do you remember John Boccabella? One of my early baseball memories is him getting announced at Jarry Park. It was epic.

First MLB game I saw was Cardinals and Expos in 1972 at Jerry Parc!  I have a Expo's hat I bought a few years ago in Cooperstown, the old red, white and blue one. Soon as the Orioles are eliminated (June or July) I'l slap up my Expos avatar again

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Senator said:

To not be a Red Sox fan, is to not be a fan at all.

(As always, JMHO.)

Such piety.

It is the "Curse of the Bambino" that forever puts the Red Sox in their rightful and eternal rear view mirror place forever behind the Yankees.  

Edited by I am the egg man

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

Baylor rarely got hit in the back. It was usually his bicep or shoulder because he just stood there.  Didn't move/turn - therefore, no back shots.

as a Jays fan in the 80s-90s, Yankees/Red Sox Baylor just turned his back a tad and took it off the numbers what seemed liked 25 times in late innings during division races...

Edited by row_33

39 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

First MLB game I saw was Cardinals and Expos in 1972 at Jerry Parc!  I have a Expo's hat I bought a few years ago in Cooperstown, the old red, white and blue one. Soon as the Orioles are eliminated (June or July) I'l slap up my Expos avatar again

The stadium announcer was great. I'd listen to him on TV announcing the batters whenever the Mets played up in Montreal. I was disappointed when the Expos traded away Boccabella.

First game I ever went to was Mets-Expos at Shea in 1971. Carl Morton pitched for the Expos and hit a HR. 

13 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

The stadium announcer was great. I'd listen to him on TV announcing the batters whenever the Mets played up in Montreal. I was disappointed when the Expos traded away Boccabella.

First game I ever went to was Mets-Expos at Shea in 1971. Carl Morton pitched for the Expos and hit a HR. 

72 Expos...  Boots, Coco, Pepe, Stoneman, Clyde, great names for this 6 year old watching them on TV...

First game was at Parc Jarry in 1976, then the Jays came to town in 1977 (probably 2,000 games with them) and a camping trip from Toronto to Los Angeles to Vancouver and back through Chicago that took in 9 parks in 1977. 

Count is at 32 MLB stadiums, most no longer in service, Washington the last addition a few summers ago, no plans to expand the list.

Grew up an Indians fan because Buffalo had their farm team. It was great watching them play when they were nobodies, and then watching them make it on the big stage.

After I moved to Houston, I adopted the Astros as my NL team. When the Indians came to town during interleauge, I rooted for Cleveland. As time went on, the Indians left Buffalo, and I recognized less and less of them as Bisons. At the same time, The Astros were absolute garbage and the worst team in the league. As a huge baseball fan, this was great because I could get a ticket for five dollars almost any night of the week. So I watched the Astros build into what they are now, and slowly became a fan.

That said, I'm also a huge fan of UH baseball. I have season tickets and rarely miss a game. 

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

how far back?

if the 1950s, how do you deal with young fans who take for granted the team is about winning it every year?

Well... I was a fan since moving to the Boston area in the mid 1990's.  I followed the Mets for a few years while in college since my roommates were from Long Island and huge mets fans.

20 minutes ago, bdutton said:

Well... I was a fan since moving to the Boston area in the mid 1990's.  I followed the Mets for a few years while in college since my roommates were from Long Island and huge mets fans.

it's okay to switch when you move to the area, get to games often? 

Just now, row_33 said:

it's okay to switch when you move to the area, get to games often? 

I usually go to a couple of games a season but its been over a year since I went to a game.  My daughter or a good friend of mine used to go together.  But my daughter is at college and my friend contracted TDS so I don't have anyone to go with now.

MEET THE METS,
MEET THE METS,
Step right up and greet the Mets!
Bring your kiddies,
bring your wife;
Guaranteed to have the time of your life
because the Mets are really sockin' the ball;

knocking those home runs over the wall!
East side,
West side,
everybody's coming down
to meet the M-E-T-S Mets of New York town!

37 minutes ago, row_33 said:

72 Expos...  Boots, Coco, Pepe, Stoneman, Clyde, great names for this 6 year old watching them on TV...

First game was at Parc Jarry in 1976, then the Jays came to town in 1977 (probably 2,000 games with them) and a camping trip from Toronto to Los Angeles to Vancouver and back through Chicago that took in 9 parks in 1977. 

Count is at 32 MLB stadiums, most no longer in service, Washington the last addition a few summers ago, no plans to expand the list.

The guys that stuck out for me were Bob Bailey and Ron Fairly. And then a bit later Steve Rogers. 

I'm pretty light on ballparks visited, I think only 7.

12 hours ago, row_33 said:

Hunt got hit by Bill Bonham 3 of 4 plate appearances one year, a killer OBP without hitting the ball once

baylor was a great player who didn’t mind getting hit in the back, many times against the Jays

Hunt’s purpose up there was to get on base by being hit.

Yup, it was Hunt.

A cool Ron Hunt story:

https://nypost.com/2019/02/01/the-end-of-baseballs-most-unlikely-friendship/

25 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Dodger fan since 58.  

great-grandfather was a die-hard Brooklyn fans from the 1920s going forward, he died a week after they won it in 1955, hopefully with a smile on his face.

might have been the Robins when he started cheering for them...

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I live in Atlanta. Three miles from stadium. I’ve gone to games and never made it inside the stadium. The Battery is fun, baseball is just background music. This comes as my buddy the Reds fan is texting about coming down from Cincinnati. 

They throw batteries at the players??

47 minutes ago, bdutton said:

I usually go to a couple of games a season but its been over a year since I went to a game.  My daughter or a good friend of mine used to go together.  But my daughter is at college and my friend contracted TDS so I don't have anyone to go with now.

been to Fenway twice (part of the 32), one was during the 1980s, we got up to cheer Ernie Whitt for the Jays and the section picked up with "ERNIE SUCKS!!" chanting

then Ernie hit a grand slam to shut them up his next at bat, probably pulled to the right field bleachers.

Edited by row_33