Bills Draft Capital Analysis

All theses plans to monkeyF$#$ around with out mention to taking a great player who is available.   No reason to trade out of #9 if there is a special player on the board.  Using some later picks to to move up is not a bad idea tho.  

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Unless you don't consider the SuperBowl the playoffs, the Giants also beat Tom Brady twice. They did so by generating pressure with the front four, which is the key to stopping that Pats machine. Corner has been a strength for the Bills over the last 5 years or so.

:lol: What the heck? You mean like last year when we had one UDFA or another starting for most of the season, and let now-traded Tanehill lead a comeback on us(I was at the game)? At some point posters are going to realize that we don't have 2 starting CBs. We have 4. Then and only then, will they realize that we need backups for 4 guys, and not 2.

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No love for the Broncos?  Do the Giants count?  Getting pressure with rushing only four also seems important.

Who were the Broncos CBs? :lol: Way to make my point for me. 

The Giants had an incredible line. No doubt about that. But putting together that kind of a line is a hell of a lot harder than putting together 6 CBs who are above average, and we need 6: 4 to play and 2 reserves. Pressure is a hell of a lot easier when guys are covered for 3 seconds. Defense is a team game. Or, have you never heard of a "coverage sack"?

10 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

All theses plans to monkeyF$#$ around with out mention to taking a great player who is available.   No reason to trade out of #9 if there is a special player on the board.  Using some later picks to to move up is not a bad idea tho.  

Fine then package all of 4-7 and move up to SF's #3. Done.

5 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Who were the Broncos CBs? :lol: Way to make my point for me. 

I don't disagree with your point, but some serious disrespect to the Broncos in leaving them out.  Having Demarcus Ware and Von Miller certainly helped them.  

6 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

:lol: What the heck? You mean like last year when we had one UDFA or another starting for most of the season, and let now-traded Tanehill lead a comeback on us(I was at the game)? At some point posters are going to realize that we don't have 2 starting CBs. We have 4. Then and only then, will they realize that we need backups for 4 guys, and not 2.

OK. So you believe the Bills should load up at corner. I think they've compared favorably leaguewide at that position in recent years, but at least I understand your argument. 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't disagree with your point, but some serious disrespect to the Broncos in leaving them out.  Having Demarcus Ware and Von Miller certainly helped them.  

Hey I agree I left them out, but I was just rattling off examples. I didn't realize I had to respect the Broncos here.

1 minute ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Hey I agree I left them out, but I was just rattling off examples. I didn't realize I had to respect the Broncos here.

You better work on rattling off examples as the Jets only beat Brady once in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

Cockrell actually played a year for us. Rex cut him because he was drafted to play more zone and Rex only wanted to play cover 0 man. Which worked out so well for us. 

55 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

We play in Tom Brady's division. The ONLY teams that have beaten Brady 2 or more times in the playoffs: teams who have the BEST secondaries in the NLF = Jets and Ravens. Why is this so hard to comprehend? We play nickel on 60+% of our snaps. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Nickel means 3-4 CBs on the field, at the same time. Again, comprehension, please.

"We have a great CB named (insert the 1 decent guy we have had for the last 10 years of Patriots winning the division) on the team, why do you say we need another one?" Oh, I don't know, perhaps because Brady throws at the other 2 guys who aren't being covered by the other CBs on the team, most of the time? :wallbash: 

In fairness I think they have made some good moves at corner in FA. White, Wallace, Kevin Johnson, EJ Gaines, Taron Johnson looks a hell of a lot stronger than last year's group. 

I'd try and draft a corner somewhere in the draft every year though. It is a passing league. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Just have a normal draft... maybe use that extra 4th and 5th to make a minor trade up if you can...

If the extra picks don’t make the team then so be it.

Thats exactly how you build a team. 

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Cockrell actually played a year for us. Rex cut him because he was drafted to play more zone and Rex only wanted to play cover 0 man. Which worked out so well for us. 

In fairness I think they have made some good moves at corner in FA. White, Wallace, Kevin Johnson, EJ Gaines, Taron Johnson looks a hell of a lot stronger than last year's group. 

I'd try and draft a corner somewhere in the draft every year though. It is a passing league. 

That's right. Rex cut him. 

I'm not talking the last 20 days, or even the last year. I'm talking about the sheer idiocy of doing practically nothing to make sure we cover all 3 WRs/TEs the Patriots have have been throwing to for a decade. I'm also talking about the fact that the Patriots tend to draft O lineman in the 3rd round, CBs in the 2nd, DL and LB in the 1st....and we seem incapable of learning from that simple model. IF we take a CB in the 2nd round this year...what are the chances the same old clowns will be howling? I mean, at what point, after 10 years, does one learn? Especially when one can see the results of the correct approach vs. the incorrect, 2 times a season, for 10 in a row?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Just now, OCinBuffalo said:

I'm not talking the last 20 days, or even the last year. I'm talking about the sheer idiocy of doing practically nothing to make sure we cover all 3 WRs/TEs the Patriots have have been throwing to for a decade. I'm also talking about the fact that the Patriots tend to draft O lineman in the 3rd round, CBs in the 2nd....and we seem incapable of learning from that simple model. IF we take a CB in the 2nd round this year...what are the chances the same old clowns will be howling? I mean, at what point, after 10 years, does one learn? Especially when one can see the results of the correct approach vs. the incorrect, 2 times a season, for 10 in a row?

It depends on who the player himself is but if they got the corner out of Clemson, Mullen, at #40 I would be more than okay with that pick. 

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

7 picks for a 3rd?!? I think my math is right.

The value chart link is above. Feel free to check my work. But I'm telling you right now, it's 75. And 75 = the value of SF's #3 pick. So, yeah, teams think that our particular 7 picks are worth that 1 3rd.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It depends on who the player himself is but if they got the corner out of Clemson, Mullen, at #40 I would be more than okay with that pick. 

See this is when we get into player, and I don't really care about the player, until he gets drafted. I NEVER watch college football, thus I can be 100% objective on draft picks. It lets me distinguish argument from homerism/bias.

3 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

See this is when we get into player, and I don't really care about the player, until he gets drafted. I NEVER watch college football, thus I can be 100% objective on draft picks. It lets me distinguish argument from homerism/bias.

There are some corners who would be bad uses of the 40th pick in this draft. But corner itself as a position is not a bad use of the pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OCinBuffalo said:

I'm not talking the last 20 days, or even the last year. I'm talking about the sheer idiocy of doing practically nothing to make sure we cover all 3 WRs/TEs the Patriots have have been throwing to for a decade. I'm also talking about the fact that the Patriots tend to draft O lineman in the 3rd round, CBs in the 2nd, DL and LB in the 1st....and we seem incapable of learning from that simple model. IF we take a CB in the 2nd round this year...what are the chances the same old clowns will be howling? I mean, at what point, after 10 years, does one learn? Especially when one can see the results of the correct approach vs. the incorrect, 2 times a season, for 10 in a row?

The Patriots* winning isn’t built around where they draft CBs or OL/ DL. Their “ model” is a simple one, alright...Tom Brady. Anything else they do tends to work because of that , not the other way around. Conversely, the Bills have lost to them for 10 + years because they’ve lacked a good/ great player at that all important QB position. Sure, a D with a few HOFers and a wicked pass rush ( such as the Ravens) may  have allowed them to win with just solid QB play. The current rules don’t facilitate beating NE with CB play. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OCinBuffalo said:

The value chart link is above. Feel free to check my work. But I'm telling you right now, it's 75. And 75 = the value of SF's #3 pick. So, yeah, teams think that our particular 7 picks are worth that 1 3rd.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I would burn that chart. I value two 4th's, two 5th's, a 6th and two 7th rounders more than a 3rd, even a high 3rd.  I trust Beane to do better than that. Curious, who would you take with the SF pick that wuld be worth it? Someone would have to fall really far in the draft, not sure who that would be though.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1

Per the value chart, I can't wait for Buffalo to trade up with the Jets for the 3rd pick for only our 1st and 2nd round picks...

Jets: 514

Bills : 387+149= 536

Then we can get our second Josh Allen!!!!