Behold the fruits of progressivism:

12 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Seattle started going downhill when Frazier left for Chicago 

started when he had to declare he was straight and couldn't serve on the Seattle Opera Board of Directors

Here are the fruits of progressivism:

NYC 2014 Budget $70.1 Million: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-nyc-budget/new-york-city-mayor-bloomberg-proposes-70-1-billion-budget-for-2014-idUSBRE90S0XP20130129

NYC 2020 Budget (proposed): $90.2 Million: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/omb/index.page

NYC Real Property Tax increases: https://www.bna.com/new-york-city-n73014482342/

NYC Public Housing catastrophe: https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politics/2019/02/01/looking-back-at-bill-de-blasio-trouble-turning-around-nycha-public-housing-nyc

NYC Metal Health boondoggle run by Mrs. Mayor: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-deblasio-stringer-thrive-20190328-sulcjjtbbzhwhkvoczwkwohn7m-story.html

Mayor Tin-ear flirts with Presidential run: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/02/bill-de-blasio-is-still-thinking-about-a-2020-run

What's really sad is that the NYC/NYS Republican party (or I'd take ANY moderate Democrat) can't at least put up token candidate at a minimum to call out this excess on a consistent basis.

• Like (+1) 4

I live in a Seattle suburb and this is a real problem here. This was in the paper today.  A man, even though given extra time had his truck towed and a Judge says he gets it back and doesn't have to pay because he is poor.  I have little to no idea what the answer is, but like the guy in the video in the trash can, if they give these people breaks and don't punish them, then are they really helping them?  It's a tough problem.

Steven Long returned from his job cleaning up CenturyLink Field after a Seattle Sounders’ game when he discovered that home was gone.

He had been living in his 2000 GMC pickup, parked on a side street, but the city of Seattle towed it because Long had violated a city rule that requires vehicles be moved every 72 hours.

He had been living in his 2000 GMC pickup, parked on a side street, but the city of Seattle towed it because Long had violated a city rule that requires vehicles be moved every 72 hours.

According to Friday’s court hearing, officers approached him with reports of a man with a knife in the area. When officers saw the truck, which was not operable, they called a city parking enforcement officer, who tagged it and told Long he had to move it within 72 hours.

Long claimed he told the officers he was living in the truck; Shaffer said it was unclear if the officers knew it was his home. Nonetheless, Long tore off the impound sticker, Judge Shaffer said Friday, and left the truck in place.

The parking officer waited at least four days before having the vehicle towed, giving Long extra time to buy a part needed to get it running. When the enforcement officer returned Oct. 12, the truck was still there but Long was not, and the vehicle was towed.

That impound set up an unusual court ruling Friday that advocates for homeless people and the city both say could have broad implications on the crisis of homelessness.

King County Superior Court Judge Catherine Shaffer ruled that the city’s impoundment of Long’s truck violated the state’s homestead act — a frontier-era law that protects properties from forced sale — because he was using it as a home. Long’s vehicle was slated to be sold had he not entered into a monthly payment plan with the city.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/homeless/judge-rules-seattle-homeless-mans-truck-is-a-home/

Seattle thinks they can legislate and tax their way out of this problem.  City council passed a law saying if you are building housing you have to alot X% for "affordable Housing" units.  Or, pay a fine and the city will then build "affordable housing". Builders just pay the fine and charge more the houses.   I think Seattle is projected to build 2500 units in the next 4 years with the proceeds according to the mayor.  Really?

I think they need to realize Seattle is an expensive place to live and help people that can't afford it move out.  Let people volunteer and train them in a skill for a couple of months and pay their moving costs to Dallas or Houston or Atlanta or somewhere there are a lot more jobs for people with marginal skills.  Then they can afford to live on their own.  Thus generating less new homeless people.  Probably get a bigger bang for the buck that way.  Some of these homeless or near homeless people that don't want to be that way could get out.

Edited by reddogblitz

57 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I live in a Seattle suburb and this is a real problem here. This was in the paper today.  A man, even though given extra time had his truck towed and a Judge says he gets it back and doesn't have to pay because he is poor.  I have little to no idea what the answer is, but like the guy in the video in the trash can, if they give these people breaks and don't punish them, then are they really helping them?  It's a tough problem.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/homeless/judge-rules-seattle-homeless-mans-truck-is-a-home/

Seattle thinks they can legislate and tax their way out of this problem.  City council passed a law saying if you are building housing you have to alot X% for "affordable Housing" units.  Or, pay a fine and the city will then build "affordable housing". Builders just pay the fine and charge more the houses.   I think Seattle is projected to build 2500 units in the next 4 years with the proceeds according to the mayor.  Really?

I think they need to realize Seattle is an expensive place to live and help people that can't afford it move out.  Let people volunteer and train them in a skill for a couple of months and pay their moving costs to Dallas or Houston or Atlanta or somewhere there are a lot more jobs for people with marginal skills.  Then they can afford to live on their own.  Thus generating less new homeless people.  Probably get a bigger bang for the buck that way.  Some of these homeless or near homeless people that don't want to be that way could get out.

I have to ask: why would Dallas or Atlanta want Seattle's homeless?

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

NYC already has a program that pays homeless one year of rent up front for them to move someplace else.  It isn’t a popular program with the Mayor of Newark (or too many others).

https://www.6sqft.com/newark-mayor-points-to-flaws-in-nyc-program-that-pays-homeless-people-to-leave-for-cheaper-cities/

16 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I have to ask: why would Dallas or Atlanta want Seattle's homeless?

Actually, I'm not saying send homeless people to Dallas .  Here's what I said regarding the people to move to a city where they can afford to live:

17 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Let people volunteer and train them in a skill for a couple of months and pay their moving costs to Dallas or Houston or Atlanta or somewhere there are a lot more jobs for people with marginal skills.  Then they can afford to live on their own.  Thus generating less new homeless people.  Probably get a bigger bang for the buck that way.  Some of these homeless or near homeless people that don't want to be that way could get out.

This would not include people that are addicted to heroin or alcohol or suffer from mental illness and live in a box.  it's more people on the cusp of not being able to afford to live in Seattle and are enterprising and want out. 

Seattle housing costs are out of reach for a lot of people.  If they lived in a city where housing costs were $600 per month for an apartment instead of $1800, they would be able to live without government/charity assistance.  cities like Dallas and Houston can grow out which results in more affordable living options.  Seattle is land locked between mountains and ocean.  They can only get more dense (which they're doing). Supply and demand.  Housing shortage means higher prices.  A lot higher.

It's an out of the box idea, but so far the inside the box ideas have not worked.  I just don't believe they can legislate and tax their way to "affordable housing".

Got a better idea?

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Actually, I'm not saying send homeless people to Dallas .  Here's what I said regarding the people to move to a city where they can afford to live:

This would not include people that are addicted to heroin or alcohol or suffer from mental illness and live in a box.  it's more people on the cusp of not being able to afford to live in Seattle and are enterprising and want out. 

Seattle housing costs are out of reach for a lot of people.  If they lived in a city where housing costs were $600 per month for an apartment instead of $1800, they would be able to live without government/charity assistance.  cities like Dallas and Houston can grow out which results in more affordable living options.  Seattle is land locked between mountains and ocean.  They can only get more dense (which they're doing). Supply and demand.  Housing shortage means higher prices.  A lot higher.

It's an out of the box idea, but so far the inside the box ideas have not worked.  I just don't believe they can legislate and tax their way to "affordable housing".

Got a better idea?

OK, well that kind of thing makes sense. But the people like garbage can guy, exporting THAT guy wouldn't be either just or fair or even humane.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

A judge finally jailed a homeless man with 72 past convictions after he assaulted a random bystander.

Now, Seattle leaders are MAD at the judge, demanding he step down, because they don’t believe in jailing the homeless.

vXWMCYzU?format=jpg&name=600x314

https://mynorthwest.com/1366107/seattle-leaders-angry-repeat-assaulter-jail/

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, B-Man said:

A judge finally jailed a homeless man with 72 past convictions after he assaulted a random bystander.

Now, Seattle leaders are MAD at the judge, demanding he step down, because they don’t believe in jailing the homeless.

vXWMCYzU?format=jpg&name=600x314

https://mynorthwest.com/1366107/seattle-leaders-angry-repeat-assaulter-jail/

"Holmes and Khandelwal take issue with McKenna for throwing Calderon in jail, rather than offering him yet another chance at seeking treatment. In their eyes, you can’t use jail as a means to end homelessness or addiction."

He's got a roof over his head, three meals a day, and a structured environment.  So it sounds like you can.