Le’Veon Bell Signinig With the Jets

sven233

1 hour ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Sure. But going from defending his negotiation to saying it was his money to lose is clearly a concession statement. I'm generally getting the vibe from pro Bell people of "well that sucked".  Again.. the article makes this very clear lol

Not to make any excuses or start an argument.. because ultimately he should have signed the tag week 10: but the state of that lockerroom and the teammates, especially the OL making the comments about him is a pretty scary situation for an RB to hear what his big protection fellas think about his holdout. In the OL's defense, Bell was never forthcoming about what his plans were. But regardless former players were pretty shocked at the statements they made. It's pretty unprecedented for players not to support their teammates in a holdout

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during that decision. There's no way his agent wasn't begging him to sign by week 10 and he definitely made a hasty last minute decision not to take that much guaranteed money for a few games presumably as a backup

It is interesting.  Perhaps the players felt they were owed an explanation that never came.

Locker room's have funny dynamics.  Some players say "get your money," others players get mad when a player holds out.  

I would the NFL player population isn't that dissimilar to the fan reactions we see here..  

46 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

It is interesting.  Perhaps the players felt they were owed an explanation that never came.

Locker room's have funny dynamics.  Some players say "get your money," others players get mad when a player holds out.  

I would the NFL player population isn't that dissimilar to the fan reactions we see here..  

I'd think the same thing myself. But I've heard so many former players coming out and saying they'd never be disgruntled over a teammate in hold-out. And they found this situation so strange.

Granted, 1) these players are from a different era 2) they're on a TV with likely an agenda they may not have felt in their playing days, and 3) the former players on TV ARE the successful players getting the most money in their locker room.

But even with that grain of salt, I did find it strange how genuinely baffled the guys were. Many seemed to be speaking from sincerity rather than coming off as giving typical TV analyst shtick. Ryan Clark in particular who is from that locker room, has been VERY critical of Antonio Brown (I think he let's his personal beef show) and various other Steelers, was confused himself over how the events unfolded. He did mention Bell not being forthcoming would rub a locker room the wrong way: so long as he gives them a clear time table, doesn't make promises he later doesn't keep, Clark thought the locker room would have been more supportive. Regardless he said leaders like him, Hines Ward, and Troy Polamalu would have kept the younger players in check to keep the team united.

Like Bell at one point insisted he'd show up for week 1, then later after the bye week, and he changed his mind at the last minute apparently both times. Did the same thing week 10 when that was the last deadline. That's the one thing that would be tough to swallow. You're told by and expecting your star RB to show up, and he doesn't keep his word. If he simply told you he won't play until week 10, you swallow the pill, maybe support him more instead of feeling like the guy's just yanking your chain getting your hopes up and crushing them every time he tells you he'll join your squad.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

Good summary here:

https://deadspin.com/did-leveon-bell-make-the-right-decision-1833381292

"Yes, he secured more full guarantees than any non-rookie running back. But Bell also left a lot of money on the table—money he was very, very, very likely to earn had he taken the Steelers’ offer, and money that ironically went straight back into the Steelers’ pockets."

"Bell essentially paid $19 million to gain an additional $7 million in full guarantees."

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Good summary here:

https://deadspin.com/did-leveon-bell-make-the-right-decision-1833381292

"Yes, he secured more full guarantees than any non-rookie running back. But Bell also left a lot of money on the table—money he was very, very, very likely to earn had he taken the Steelers’ offer, and money that ironically went straight back into the Steelers’ pockets."

"Bell essentially paid $19 million to gain an additional $7 million in full guarantees."

Yep, assuming he didn't get hurt he would have earned it.  But it's his body he's risking every time he goes out to play, so if he wants more guarantees...  I find it a little hard to condemn him for it.

Edited by Mark Long Beach

22 minutes ago, Mark Long Beach said:

Yep, assuming he didn't get hurt he would have earned it.  But it's his body he's risking every time he goes out to play, so if he wants more guarantees...  I find it a little hard to condemn him for it.

If that was true every player would do the same.  Every player signs a contract assuming they will play through the entire contract.  

By not taking a fully guaranteed year last season and by taking this deal,  if he plays now and gets hurt,  he will have played for less money than if he had taken the Steelers offer.  Read the article. 

Edited by Mr. WEO

On 3/18/2019 at 12:14 PM, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Cool. The article mentions as much. He ultimately lost money he can never get, the article just shows the silver lining.

At the end of the day who the hell cares. You can rejoice that he blew it and lost millions (weird), you can feel sorry for him (no one's forcing you to pity a millionaire). Ultimately the Jets got a bargain deal which ain't good for us.

I don't like the character assassination is all. If the worst thing he's done is hold out for guaranteed money, which every athlete does and is entitled to do, what's the character problem he's shown as a teammate?

Bargain deal compared to the $17M per year he was supposedly looking for?

Yes, I’d agree. 

But a bargain deal overall? I definitely wouldn’t call it that. (IMO anyway)

He has the 2nd highest RB contract/cap hit in the NFL, and the most fully guaranteed money (at the time of signing) of any RB. 

His cap hit is a reasonable $8.5M this year, but after that it’s -

$15.5M in 2020

$13.5M in 2021

$15.5M in 2022

Thats not exactly what I’d call a bargain deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Leveon, my wayward son. 

Paying as big a contract as the Jets did for ANY running back is silly. Ditto for an off-ball linebacker like CJ Moseley. But then, when your GM is on his last legs and needs to make big splashy moves to save his ass, this is what happens.

Bell had absolutely NO part in the Jets' jersey unveiling, which you would hope a guy you're paying this much money to would be involved in. Now he skips voluntary mini-camp. Does this say "all in" to anyone else? Is this the type of guy that it seems logical to pay a big contract to? Is this the example you want to set for the rest of your locker room, as far as who gets rewarded with big money (a guy like Bell) and who doesn't (a guy like Mitch Morse).

I know I sound like a broken record, but McCagnan is a terrible GM, and the Jets will be firing him within the next couple of seasons. I don't like the Gase signing, either, which is to say that the current direction of the Jets has me pretty happy, as a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Logic said:

Paying as big a contract as the Jets did for ANY running back is silly. Ditto for an off-ball linebacker like CJ Moseley. But then, when your GM is on his last legs and needs to make big splashy moves to save his ass, this is what happens.

Bell had absolutely NO part in the Jets' jersey unveiling, which you would hope a guy you're paying this much money to would be involved in. Now he skips voluntary mini-camp. Does this say "all in" to anyone else? Is this the type of guy that it seems logical to pay a big contract to? Is this the example you want to set for the rest of your locker room, as far as who gets rewarded with big money (a guy like Bell) and who doesn't (a guy like Mitch Morse).

I know I sound like a broken record, but McCagnan is a terrible GM, and the Jets will be firing him within the next couple of seasons. I don't like the Gase signing, either, which is to say that the current direction of the Jets has me pretty happy, as a Bills fan.

And when the GM is canned Gase will go with him. 

On a side note, I hope Greggo sees Gase pretend to be writing notes on the sideline during the game like he did in Miami...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

And when the GM is canned Gase will go with him. 

On a side note, I hope Greggo sees Gase pretend to be writing notes on the sideline during the game like he did in Miami...

Omg omg I forgot about that. Just spit out my coffee. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

...sure as hell hope Woody keeps them both around for 10 years.....let them do as much damage as possible......and then some......I like their capabilities......

IMO Bell is one of the all time top RBs ability wise but his motivation is questionable which is always a problem when you give a guy the monster money-it could work out great for the Jets or terrible depending on how motivated the guy is now that he is so wealthy.

11 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Oh no!!! He didn’t show up to voluntary mini camp, whatever will we do?

Hope he doesn't become a malcontent. Nearly EVERY new player with a high-end contract (such as his) shows up for these things for his team to demonstrate he is a team player and that he is "all in". Moreover, deny it all you want.... at a minimum it is a bad look and a minor distraction and at it's worse it is a sign of a cancer in the locker room. Good luck regardless - I will grab my popcorn and watch the Jests' dysfunction from here.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Oh no!!! He didn’t show up to voluntary mini camp, whatever will we do?

For the contract he signed, he's a leader and a leader would be there. It's disappointing, you would think he would want to start off on the right foot with his new teammates

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Justify it all you want. But he’s hella tone deaf. 

What does this have to do with his rap album?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

For the contract he signed, he's a leader and a leader would be there. It's disappointing, you would think he would want to start off on the right foot with his new teammates

What does this have to do with his rap album?

I see what you are saying, shows the type of character he has. For the record, I wasn’t in the group of fans that was in favor of chasing him this off season. We got him and it is what it is, I know he won’t be the same player he was with the Steelers due to the fact that we don’t have an offensive line on their level. I just hope he helps Sams development. 

Edited by Bleedingreennc
  • Like (+1) 1

It must be very frustrating dealing with some of these athletically talented morons-somehow the guy can't comprehend that part of the deal for all that money was showing up for stuff like this even if he thinks it is a waste of his time-he is being paid big money to set an example.