Has anyone else given up TV/Movies/Music?

A little while ago, I realized that what's being produced in the corporate media machine is, almost universally, garbage. Usually over-sexualized and violent and generally lacking any kind of depth. So, I figured I'd give a go at no watching TV/movies or listening to popular music.

I gotta tell you, it's been a great thing in my life particularly. But this morning, I wondered if I was the only person in the United States doing this. Anyone here also doing something similar?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

A little while ago, I realized that what's being produced in the corporate media machine is, almost universally, garbage. Usually over-sexualized and violent and generally lacking any kind of depth. So, I figured I'd give a go at no watching TV/movies or listening to popular music.

I gotta tell you, it's been a great thing in my life particularly. But this morning, I wondered if I was the only person in the United States doing this. Anyone here also doing something similar?

Only people over 75

• Haha (+1) 1

I watch less and less TV these days, mostly just the news.  Most movies today I have little interest in as they just don't seem to be as creative as years past.  Couple this with the fact that Hollywood/entertainment has become too political; they want to rub your face in it as often as they can.

There is some good music today, mostly alt rock.  I find myself listening to a lot of older stuff, though.  Maybe because I identify with it and I'm starting to get old ;)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Maybe not consciously but most movies/TV/music I like is from up to the 90s.  I started that elevator thread while listening to Amy Grants music.  

Yeah, it wasn't a “decision”, I just don’t want to go to the movies to see stuff about robots or zombies. My favorite music is 60’s-70’s type stuff. I can’t change the channel fast enough if it’s reality TV.  But you are still welcome on my lawn! 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

The last great movie produced was No Country For Old Men.

TV wise, I mainly watch older sitcoms just to pass time.

As far as music, there are a few artists I like, but mainly listen to older stuff.

I can not remember the last movie we saw in a theatre (not counting Indi-film festival documentary stuff and a few of the kids movies) that was really good.

The Kings Speech jumps to mind, and that was what, ten years ago?

But hey, I can’t wait for Spider-Man vs. Transformers 17 this summer!!!  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

07b0f220323706719b3193322d9cad0b.jpg

Are you on the field trip with @plenzmd1 and the boys?  You can tell that’s him because that’s the original “fanny pack” that he invented. Where do you think his massive fortune came from? Now.....I’ll go sit in the corner and try to unsee that. 

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I can not remember the last movie we saw in a theatre (not counting Indi-film festival documentary stuff and a few of the kids movies) that was really good.

Never been into the comic/adventure movies. Always preferred either comedies or drama's that deeply explore the characters, but I'm weird like that.

Definitely agree with the OP that most of the stuff coming out now is unwatchable.

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

We saw Green Book a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. I’d rather go see that AGAIN than any other options they have in those 15 theaters. 

4 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Never been into the comic/adventure movies. Always preferred either comedies or drama's that deeply explore the characters, but I'm weird like that.

Definitely agree with the OP that most of the stuff coming out now is unwatchable.

Same here.

Don’t think my sarcasm came through on the ‘summer blockbuster’/superhero garbage that is endlessly recycled.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Music’s way dead.   

What’s a movie ?   Last 3 years I’ve seen Creed 2 and The Green Book 

TV.   Dumb Zombie shows aren’t cutting it 

Maybe they should re-make Spider-Man and Batman another 32 times?

Haven’t been to the movies in 7 or 8 years

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

TV I pretty much watch cooking shows, sport, and million dollar listing and My 600 lb. life....haven't been in a movie theater in over a decade. I pretty much use Pandora for music.

You a Josh Flagg fanboy ? 

MDLNY MDLLA and Below Deck are solid timewasters.    

20 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Same here.

Don’t think my sarcasm came through on the ‘summer blockbuster’/superhero garbage that is endlessly recycled.

The exclamation points should have been a dead giveaway. It's Saturday and I'm not drinking so my sarc meter is way off.