Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

to put opposite of foster....

and explain to me again how allen being in the pocket and barely running around on all 3 tds is "extending plays a ridiculous amount of time"..... this is something plenty of qb's do. 

stop making things up to fit your argument. its silly.

remind me again when jones ever averaged 70+ yds a game over a 6 game stretch?

?‍♂️

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

When I say deeper I mean deeper into the limited play we have seen in the actual pro's

Lets keep in mind......Foster was a UDFA based on not having huge numbers in college......if he played like he did at the 2nd half of this first season he would have been a high draft pick and we have no shot at him as a UDFA.

When I say dig deeper.....I say dig deeper into actual pro snaps.

Struggled early

Got better as the season went on

There is reason to believe that with a strong work ethic Foster can have a high celing.....there is also reason to believe that improved OL play would allow Allen to take advantage of his deep speed.

Ive looked at him a bunch. I’m not saying there isn’t potential.  Just saying he has a long way to go to become a legit pro. He benefited from Allen’s surprising for a rook pocket poise and arm and some safeties stumbling (see Jax and Dallas TDs) passes were deeper and arrived faster than coverages are used to so he could trot into a zone hole 30 yards downfield. 

Zay on on the other hand gets a bad rap for a really bad rookie year. He was an hs mitigated disaster. 

But. His is second year he was open all the time, ran good routes, had some great catches.  He’s more of a possession guy, thus middling yardage totals. But 7 TDs and 50+ cathches and was clicking more and more towards season end with Allen. 

In pro offenses you need 1 guy on the field to stretch it. And the other works underneath/intermediate. 

Slot guy work short and middle hopefully on a LB or safety. 

For that reason Foster is going to need to beat Brown to get starting reps in my opinion... 

thats my argument. And I’m sticking to it until the depth chart or o scheme convince me I’m wrong  

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ive looked at him a bunch. I’m not saying there isn’t potential.  Just saying he has a long way to go to become a legit pro. He benefited from Allen’s surprising for a rook pocket poise and arm and some safeties stumbling (see Jax and Dallas TDs) passes were deeper and arrived faster than coverages are used to so he could trot into a zone hole 30 yards downfield. 

Zay on on the other hand gets a bad rap for a really bad rookie year. He was an hs mitigated disaster. 

But. His is second year he was open all the time, ran good routes, had some great catches.  He’s more of a possession guy, thus middling yardage totals. But 7 TDs and 50+ cathches and was clicking more and more towards season end with Allen. 

In pro offenses you need 1 guy on the field to stretch it. And the other works underneath/intermediate. 

For that reason Foster is going to need to beat Brown to get starting reps in my opinion... 

thats my argument. And I’m sticking to it until the depth chart or o scheme convince me I’m wrong  

Can we stop with the "he made a play because another pro player fell down" thing?   It really is making you look bad

ALL PRO's have defenders that fall down on plays.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Can we stop with the "he made a play because another pro player fell down" thing?   It really is making you look bad

ALL PRO's have defenders that fall down on plays.

Facts do look bad when they compromise stupid narratives.

Like a guy with 27 catches is somehow a proven NFL commodity...   

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yikes ?.    Don’t you still ride for Tyrod too ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Funny I never thought this thread would go more than a few pages.  Just want to say thanks to everyone who chimed in on both sides and continued on in mostly good discussion on either side.

When I started this thread, it was never meant to be some arrogant guarantee and if you read my OP I said this was my gut feeling based on what I believe is going to be added to the WR room and my belief in whether Zay could hold his own against the increased competition.  So far Beane has done everything I expected him to do, so all its done is further my belief Zay is in danger of not being on this roster come week 1.

I have no issue with this being a "wrong gut feeling", no ego in being right about this.  Its just how I honestly felt based on what I see from Zay and how I expected to see Beane add competition.  If Zay rises to the top, thats a good thing and I am all for it.  I was even a guy who liked the pick when we drafted him.  All I care about is that the Bills win, and if Zay turns into a reliable starting WR then that will be fantastic...but my honest feeling is doubtful he can shine amongst stronger competition and that will lead to Beane looking to get value in the form of a trade if Zay cant hold down a relevant spot on the depth chart.

Either way, thanks for all the great back and forth, enjoyed this thread a lot so far and should be fun to keep following it through the draft and camp. 

nicely done 'Dawg......hope the Zay kid heeds the same warning that the Foster kid got from McDermott and reacts the same way....he DEFINITELY better be looking over his shoulder about some valid competition on his heels....

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What film of Zay are you watching to make these conclusions?  He is all over the drop video that is 5 min long and thats just from 2018.  His catch rate was terrible in 2018.  He bobbled several of his caught passes too and made them look hard.  He was never getting open all the time.  In weeks 14, 15, and 16 he was physically dominated by his opposing CB as bad as I have ever seen in an NFL game.  He had 10 games with under 40 yards, and would have had 11 if not for a free TD in the final min NE gave him where they didnt cover him cuz game was over.  

I have no issue for those who still have positive hope for Zay, but everything you just wrote is just factually inaccurate.  He struggled all year beating press coverage and is a sloppy route runner.  He had several moments to come up big for the Bills and failed which heavily contributed to multiple losses.  He wasn't the only one, but he certainly was part of the problem.   

His "bad rap" has nothing to do with his rookie year.  He got a clean slate in year 2...he just still was not good in any phase of the game in year 2.  People say well his catch rate greatly improved...no it didnt.  It went from unfit to even play in the NFL in year 1, to not good enough in year 2.  Yes that is an improvement, but still was not good for a guy whose only key asset coming out of college was supposed to be his hands.  

For every "great" catch he made, he had tons of bad plays that were either drops, not getting open, or just getting physically dominated by the cornerback.  

And in pro offenses, you do not need what you just said.  It can be done many ways.  Steelers have 2 deep threat outside guys and their TE's and RB work the middle.  Chiefs brought in Watkins to pair with Hill to be two deep threats while Kecle and the RB's work the middle.  Rams use a deep guy mixed with some good intermediate and short guys in Wood, Kupp and the TE.  Patriots use mostly short to intermediate guys and havent used many deep threat guys, even traded Cooks after 1 year.  

It can be done many ways, and it depends on your system and QB.  Zay unfortunately has not been good as a deep guy, intermediate guy, or short guy YET.  

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What film of Zay are you watching to make these conclusions?  He is all over the drop video that is 5 min long and thats just from 2018.  His catch rate was terrible in 2018.  He bobbled several of his caught passes too and made them look hard.  He was never getting open all the time.  In weeks 14, 15, and 16 he was physically dominated by his opposing CB as bad as I have ever seen in an NFL game.  He had 10 games with under 40 yards, and would have had 11 if not for a free TD in the final min NE gave him where they didnt cover him cuz game was over.  

I have no issue for those who still have positive hope for Zay, but everything you just wrote is just factually inaccurate.  He struggled all year beating press coverage and is a sloppy route runner.  He had several moments to come up big for the Bills and failed which heavily contributed to multiple losses.  He wasn't the only one, but he certainly was part of the problem.   

His "bad rap" has nothing to do with his rookie year.  He got a clean slate in year 2...he just still was not good in any phase of the game in year 2.  People say well his catch rate greatly improved...no it didnt.  It went from unfit to even play in the NFL in year 1, to not good enough in year 2.  Yes that is an improvement, but still was not good for a guy whose only key asset coming out of college was supposed to be his hands.  

For every "great" catch he made, he had tons of bad plays that were either drops, not getting open, or just getting physically dominated by the cornerback.  

And in pro offenses, you do not need what you just said.  It can be done many ways.  Steelers have 2 deep threat outside guys and their TE's and RB work the middle.  Chiefs brought in Watkins to pair with Hill to be two deep threats while Kecle and the RB's work the middle.  Rams use a deep guy mixed with some good intermediate and short guys in Wood, Kupp and the TE.  Patriots use mostly short to intermediate guys and havent used many deep threat guys, even traded Cooks after 1 year.  

It can be done many ways, and it depends on your system and QB.  Zay unfortunately has not been good as a deep guy, intermediate guy, or short guy YET.  

They made a 5 minute video dominated by Zays 5 drops? 

Terrible catch rate? Which was exactly? 

Sammy the deep threat in kc? 

Assuming you mean JuJu as a deep threat?

Gems here... just awesome 

Come find when they publish the opening day roster after you’re done consoling yourself. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
Lol- on me... I just realized this is Crayonz trolling...

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They made a 5 minute video dominated by Zays 5 drops? 

Terrible catch rate? Which was exactly? 

Sammy the deep threat in kc? 

Assuming you mean JuJu as a deep threat?

Gems here... just awesome 

Come find when they publish the opening day roster after you’re done consoling yourself. 

1. I do not care if my gut feeling is right or wrong.  Said many times, I never made some guarantee, just shared how I felt about the situation.  If I am wrong, then I am wrong, big deal.  All I care about is the Bills being the best team it can be, if that proves to include Zay then great I will be cheering hard for him.  Nothing against him just because I doubt his ability to rise to the occasion against better competition.
  2. You don't know Zay's catch rate?  Yet you are making claims of his play?  I could tell you, but you can do your own homework.  Hint:  It was not good.
  3. Are you suggesting Sammy was paid $16M a year to be a slot WR or possession guy?  They signed him as a big play guy for Mahomes to compliment Hill.  Your opinion of Sammy is irrelevant, KC's $16M check says otherwise and so did Reid when he signed him.
  4. And yes, JuJu is an outside WR...guess you didnt watch him play either or seen his career average of 14 ypc
  5. Thank you, they are gems, thanks for noticing.  Its nice to be appreciated  ?

I wont be finding anyone on opening day roster release.  I could care less of the outcome and wont be chasing anyone down to be consoled or gloat.  Its a discussion on how I feel things may play out and how others see it themselves.  You don't see me running around saying "I will bet you" or "put your money where your mouth is" crap some others do here all the time.  Sometimes its just ok to have a discussion without having a war to be right.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1. I do not care if my gut feeling is right or wrong.  Said many times, I never made some guarantee, just shared how I felt about the situation.  If I am wrong, then I am wrong, big deal.  All I care about is the Bills being the best team it can be, if that proves to include Zay then great I will be cheering hard for him.  Nothing against him just because I doubt his ability to rise to the occasion against better competition.
  2. You don't know Zay's catch rate?  Yet you are making claims of his play?  I could tell you, but you can do your own homework.  Hint:  It was not good.
  3. Are you suggesting Sammy was paid $16M a year to be a slot WR or possession guy?  They signed him as a big play guy for Mahomes to compliment Hill.  Your opinion of Sammy is irrelevant, KC's $16M check says otherwise and so did Reid when he signed him.
  4. And yes, JuJu is an outside WR...guess you didnt watch him play either or seen his career average of 14 ypc
  5. Thank you, they are gems, thanks for noticing.  Its nice to be appreciated  ?

I wont be finding anyone on opening day roster release.  I could care less of the outcome and wont be chasing anyone down to be consoled or gloat.  Its a discussion on how I feel things may play out and how others see it themselves.  You don't see me running around saying "I will bet you" or "put your money where your mouth is" crap some others do here all the time.  Sometimes its just ok to have a discussion without having a war to be right.  

All good man but your post title doesn’t quite square with the highlighted above.

i likewise would love to both see Zay and Foster thrive. I belive the former is further ahead of the later at this time. 

Btw I watch tons of football. Sammy ran mostly intermediate routes  and juju did most of his damage from the slot. 

Also Foster and Zays catch rate were only 5% different with dramically different sample size and Zay drawing the top corner. 

if either or both is a sold WR we both win, because the bills got better 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Beasley is one of the best short guys out there.

He absolutely is the perfect thing to help Allen in the underneath.

I wanna see them draft hock also at te.

Point is tho that Allen doesn't see the area of the field where slot receivers typically are located on routes.  So Beasley will go underutilized unless Allen significantly tweaks his game.  

I'm not big on TEs early, they don't often pan out.  Either way, and again, TE isn't a position that Allen favored last season.  

I'll use his last six games only, but in those last six games the TEs had only 17 targets, 10 catches, and 134 yards from the TEs, collectively.  That's an average of 3 targets, not even 2 catches, and about 22 yards-per-game.  

I'm firmly convinced that Allen needs at least two top-notch OL-men from this draft, meaning that our 1st and either 2nd or 3rd in a deep draft for linemen should be used on them.  

Allen needs to learn to scan the entire field, locate the open receivers, take his time, etc.  That's a tall order given where he is right now.  TEs and WRs really aren't going to help calm him down like that nearly as much as OL-men are.  Otherwise we're in the same spot as last season and he won't progress.  I'm not of the mind that he's going to magically progress simply because he's in his second season.  They need to specifically focus on what his primary issue is, and right now it's that he doesn't see the entire field. 

As I've said, I'm not sure how one "coaches that in," but having him settle down and take more time than the average QB is allotted sounds like a good start to me, the only start.  

27 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

All good man but your post title doesn’t quite square with the highlighted above.

i likewise would love to both see Zay and Foster thrive. I belive the former is further ahead of the later at this time. 

Btw I watch tons of football. Sammy ran mostly intermediate routes  and juju did most of his damage from the slot. 

Also Foster and Zays catch rate were only 5% different with dramically different sample size and Zay drawing the top corner. 

if either or both is a sold WR we both win, because the bills got better 

Well thats why people need to read the posts, not thread titles :)

All good like you said, all I care about is Bills wins and Josh's development.  At the end of the day, our #1 WR is likely not currently on our roster as I still feel a high draft pick will be invested this year in a WR to potentially be that complete WR for Josh for the next decade...well at least until their rookie contracts end lol

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

Point is tho that Allen doesn't see the area of the field where slot receivers typically are located on routes.  So Beasley will go underutilized unless Allen significantly tweaks his game.  

I'm not big on TEs early, they don't often pan out.  Either way, and again, TE isn't a position that Allen favored last season.  

I'll use his last six games only, but in those last six games the TEs had only 17 targets, 10 catches, and 134 yards from the TEs, collectively.  That's an average of 3 targets, not even 2 catches, and about 22 yards-per-game.  

I'm firmly convinced that Allen needs at least two top-notch OL-men from this draft, meaning that our 1st and either 2nd or 3rd in a deep draft for linemen should be used on them.  

Allen needs to learn to scan the entire field, locate the open receivers, take his time, etc.  That's a tall order given where he is right now.  TEs and WRs really aren't going to help calm him down like that nearly as much as OL-men are.  Otherwise we're in the same spot as last season and he won't progress.  I'm not of the mind that he's going to magically progress simply because he's in his second season.  They need to specifically focus on what his primary issue is, and right now it's that he doesn't see the entire field. 

As I've said, I'm not sure how one "coaches that in," but having him settle down and take more time than the average QB is allotted sounds like a good start to me, the only start.  

Well I don't disagree that he needs to work on scanning underneath, let's also factor in that his underneath targets (slot, and te) were complete garbage last year.

It's very hard to determine how much of it was him not reading underneath vs not trusting those who were underneath to receive, leading to him being reluctant to when throw to them.

Let's also factor in that hock is a ridiculous blocker as well as receiver, so having a te who blocks that well also improves the oline.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Well I don't disagree that he needs to work on scanning underneath, let's also factor in that his underneath targets (slot, and te) were complete garbage last year.

It's very hard to determine how much of it was him not reading underneath vs not trusting those who were underneath to receive, leading to him being reluctant to when throw to them.

Let's also factor in that hock is a ridiculous blocker as well as receiver, so having a te who blocks that well also improves the oline.

Well, the thing is that "garbage" is one thing, and Clay isn't "garbage" per se and Croom also looked decent, but how much of that "garbage-ness" should have been attributed to Allen.  

I'm A, not sure that Hockenson's receiving regimen is going to help Allen all that much initially, and if he even owns up to such a draft status, B, it's still not the same as a good OT in that regard in terms of blocking, and C, TEs are one of those positions that high draft picks rarely turn out as their "supposed to."  Recent ones include highly touted TEs like Ebron, Eifert, Pettigrew, Howard, all the highest drafted TEs over the past decade and all among the first 21  picks.  Ebron finally broke out last season, five years in.  Otherwise, not matching draft status among them.  A good blocking TE can be had on day-3.  

Same with trading up for a WR, a historically horrible decision.  

Either way, the tendency is to blame everyone & everything but Allen, but IMO drafting an TE with our 9th overall is far from making optimal use of the pick to actually help Allen. 

Remember, this has to be a major mental effort to correct him. They've gotta sit his arse down and say, Listen, you need to settle down, relax, scan the field (pre and post snap), and start to utilize all of your options.  If you don't do that, then you're not long for this league.  

That's the tough discussion right there.  But in doing that he'll need optimal help in protection, notably more so than already franchise QBs and even average QBs.  

That's how I see it if Allen's going to work out.  Sure, maybe he can do that without the protection as such, but as I've said, if he does it'll be some seriously historically record breaking territory.  I'm not sure that Allen's gonna do that given where he is right now and given that he's never been a good reader of defenses.  

It's an uphill task/order as it is.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TaskersGhost said:

Well, the thing is that "garbage" is one thing, and Clay isn't "garbage" per se and Croom also looked decent, but how much of that "garbage-ness" should have been attributed to Allen.  

I'm A, not sure that Hockenson's receiving regimen is going to help Allen all that much initially, and if he even owns up to such a draft status, B, it's still not the same as a good OT in that regard in terms of blocking, and C, TEs are one of those positions that high draft picks rarely turn out as their "supposed to."  Recent ones include highly touted TEs like Ebron, Eifert, Pettigrew, Howard, all the highest drafted TEs over the past decade and all among the first 21  picks.  Ebron finally broke out last season, five years in.  Otherwise, not matching draft status among them.  A good blocking TE can be had on day-3.  

Same with trading up for a WR, a historically horrible decision.  

Either way, the tendency is to blame everyone & everything but Allen, but IMO drafting an TE with our 9th overall is far from making optimal use of the pick to actually help Allen. 

Remember, this has to be a major mental effort to correct him. They've gotta sit his arse down and say, Listen, you need to settle down, relax, scan the field (pre and post snap), and start to utilize all of your options.  If you don't do that, then you're not long for this league.  

That's the tough discussion right there.  But in doing that he'll need optimal help in protection, notably more so than already franchise QBs and even average QBs.  

That's how I see it if Allen's going to work out.  Sure, maybe he can do that without the protection as such, but as I've said, if he does it'll be some seriously historically record breaking territory.  I'm not sure that Allen's gonna do that given where he is right now and given that he's never been a good reader of defenses.  

It's an uphill task/order as it is.  

Yeah I think you and I are on the same page, just slightly on different sides of it.

We both agree that it's on Allen and on the weapons (or lack of) that he was given.

Im more on the lack of weapons side, you're more on the Allen being more responsible for it.

I think we are closer on the topic than it seems, and either way both his weapons and Allen himself need to be improved.

They have improved the weapons, at least on paper, and the rest is on Allen now either way.

I was watching a video on him last month, and one of the biggest things they wanted him to improve on, like we both said, is taking that 80% completion 5-7 yard underneath throw on second down, setting up a third and 3-5yrds, instead of trying to make that 50/50 bullet at 12-15+ yards.

Clay is garbage by the way.

Not gonna change my mind on that.

??

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yeah I think you and I are on the same page, just slightly on different sides of it.

We both agree that it's on Allen and on the weapons (or lack of) that he was given.

Im more on the lack of weapons side, you're more on the Allen being more responsible for it.

I think we are closer on the topic than it seems, and either way both his weapons and Allen himself need to be improved.

They have improved the weapons, at least on paper, and the rest is on Allen now either way.

I was watching a video on him last month, and one of the biggest things they wanted him to improve on, like we both said, is taking that 80% completion 5-7 yard underneath throw on second down, setting up a third and 3-5yrds, instead of trying to make that 50/50 bullet at 12-15+ yards.

Clay is garbage by the way.

Not gonna change my mind on that.

??

You'll get little argument from me on Clay, most overrated TE we've had in years.

BUT, he's not nearly as bad as the 2.3 catches/game he had with Allen throwing.  Hell, he averaged 3.8 catches/game with Taylor and whom, Fitz?

Everyone's receiving numbers went down with Allen on the field.

As exciting as Allen was to watch, and this isn't going to float well here, but it wasn't team ball.  He tried to be a one man show.  Last time a QB like that became a franchise QB was never, at least not in the modern era.

Edited by TaskersGhost

25 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

You'll get little argument from me on Clay, most overrated TE we've had in years.

BUT, he's not nearly as bad as the 2.3 catches/game he had with Allen throwing.  Hell, he averaged 3.8 catches/game with Taylor and whom, Fitz?

Everyone's receiving numbers went down with Allen on the field.

As exciting as Allen was to watch, and this isn't going to float well here, but it wasn't team ball.  He tried to be a one man show.  Last time a QB like that became a franchise QB was never, at least not in the modern era.

I dunno cam is a pretty decent one man show

Mvp and a Superbowl trip ?