Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Gronborg should be the guy.

“To me, the only challenge that would be left is the National Hockey League, to be perfectly honest,” said Grönborg. “I’ve kind of done all that stuff and coached some of the best players in the world. Now I’m interested to have my ideas, to [implement] them over a period of time and do them overseas, and kind of challenging the coaching community over in the NHL.

“I bring a different perspective on things.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rikard-gronborg-nhls-first-european-head-coach-since-2001/

This would suck. 

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That escalated quickly 

Id be ok with him. He’s not my first choice but he checks a lot of the boxes I’d be looking for. 

He’s won a Cup (as an assistant), worked/learned under an excellent coach in Babcock, has over 800 NHL games coached and has proven that he can be a successful coach in the NHL. 

He was an excellent coach when he was with the Sharks. He has a winning record every year he was there and made the playoffs 6 out of 7 seasons. They were an offensive powerhouse almost every season under McLellan. They won a presidents trophy as the NHL’s best team and routinely finished with 100+ points. 

He was my 2nd choice in 2015 when the Sabres went after Babcock. But Edmonton snatched him up very quickly, before Babcock had even started interviewing. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Why ?

who and that's quick ??

Oilers recent coach, but with a decent resume before that.  Vignault is better on paper

From an article after McLelland was fired in Edmonton:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/20/sharks-defend-todd-mclellan-in-wake-of-firing-by-oilers-its-not-all-his-fault/

The reaction to McLellan’s firing in Sharks dressing room sounded eerily similar to the response in the wake of his departure from San Jose, which came after the team missed the playoffs for the first time in a decade in 2014-15.

“I feel for him. It’s not all his fault,” Logan Couture said. “He’s not the one who goes out and gets those roster players. He had to work with what he had and it’s disappointing to see someone like him lose his job.”

Oilers captain Connor McDavid echoed Couture’s thoughts, adding that he and his Oilers teammates need to shoulder the blame for their coach’s ouster.

“Todd was a guy that everyone liked, but ultimately, we’re a team that’s underachieving,” McDavid said. “We’re all to blame here. This obviously isn’t on Todd at all. It’s on us as players. That’s just how the business works sometimes.”

6 minutes ago, snafu said:

This team can't afford to experiment with a guy who's never coached in the NHL 

I really want a guy with experience. I know Bylsma didn’t work out but i feel like Housely just didn’t know what he was doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Its easy to blame Housely after an embarrassing 2018 season and crushingly disappointing 2019 season which saw him with few answers to the team's woes.  But honestly, I'm not sure anyone really could have done much better given the circumstances.  There wasn't nearly enough mother f@#$ing in that locker room.  Guys just were not hard-on guys.  Not nearly hard enough to mother f@#$ is not going to get you to the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

To be fair, this guy’s an LA kings writer, so I take it with a grain of salt. 

Because the writer covers the Kings he should have some insight in who the organization is considering. Elliotte Friedman, who covers the league, also noted that LA is seriously considering him, as are the Sabres. According to Frieman McLellan has some relationship with the top people in the King organization. I'm not making any prediction because I just don't know. If I had to make a guess who the next coach will be, especially if McLellan goes to LA, I would put my money on Alan Vigneault, the former coach of the Rangers. 

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Because the writer covers the Kings he should have some insight in who the organization is considering. Elliotte Friedman, who covers the league, also noted that LA is seriously considering him, as are the Sabres. According to Frieman McLellan has some relationship with the top people in the King organization. I'm not making any prediction because I just don't know. If I had to make a guess who the next coach will be, especially if McLellan goes to LA, I would put my money on Alan Vigneault, the former coach of the Rangers. 

I definitely still think LA is in the mix. I just meant take it with a grain of salt that McLellan will pick LA over Buffalo, since he’s a beat reporter for LA. It didn’t seem like he was basing it on anything other than thinking LA was the better destination. 

Id be happy with Vigneault though. I’d actually somewhat prefer him, though I do think McLellan could be a good fit. 

One of Housley's chief deficiencies was his refusal to put the best lineup on the ice on a given night, often favoring (lousy) veterans over younger but arguably better players.

Vigneault infuriated Rangers fans until he was canned with his utter refusal to play the young kids who deserved it over seasoned veterans.  He was very stubborn in that regard.

Bylsma was very similar during his failed stint in Buffalo.

For this reason, I am no fan of A.V. coming to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

One of Housley's chief deficiencies was his refusal to put the best lineup on the ice on a given night, often favoring (lousy) veterans over younger but arguably better players.

Vigneault infuriated Rangers fans until he was canned with his utter refusal to play the young kids who deserved it over seasoned veterans.  He was very stubborn in that regard.

Bylsma was very similar during his failed stint in Buffalo.

For this reason, I am no fan of A.V. coming to Buffalo.

I feel like, for the most part, he has been proven right in not playing the kids he didn’t play. Most of them still haven’t done anything. Who didn’t he play that has proven to be good? Who’s really blossomed away from AV? 

The only one I can really think of is Jimmy Vesey. But it’s not like he is noticeably better. He is getting about 2 mins more ice time and producing almost exactly the same as under AV.  All his underlying numbers are about the same. His o zone and d zone starts are about the same. It’s hard to say he’s really doing any better. 

I dont follow the rangers all that closely, so maybe I am forgetting someone? 

Honestly, I don’t really pay too much attention to fans complaining about a coach playing a veteran over a kid. You go on any teams message board or talk to any fan of another team and by far the most common complaint is that the coach favors some veteran they hate. And 2nd is probably line combinations and in game adjustments. 

you have to remember, any veteran coach that is available is going to have some knock against him. There is a reason he was fired. There is no perfect coach. 

The Sabres aren’t looking for a coach to put them over the final hump and get them to a Cup. They are looking for someone that can take them back to respectability and get them consistently competing for a playoff spot.

AV’s teams have made the playoffs in 9 of his last 10 seasons and he took 2 separate teams to the Stanley Cup finals in the past 8 years. He has been considered among the better coaches in the NHL for damn near a decade.

We would be lucky to have him. 

I havent really heard anything about the Sabres interviewing him though, and I read/heard somewhere that he may be looking for a team that’s somewhat close to Cup contention. So if that’s the case I don’t see him even having interest in Buffalo anyway. 

13 hours ago, snafu said:

This team can't afford to experiment with a guy who's never coached in the NHL 

I want innovative, not same old that hasn't worked.

6 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

interesring interview with dahlin. It’s in Swedish but subtitles are available if you click on the video options/settings and enable cc. 

does he want Gronborg :D