Anyone have a nice watch?

Kirby Jackson

Most of the people here are missing the point.

If you're going to wear a watch to impress the most people, it doesn't need to be a good timekeeper.  It needs to shout "MONEY LIVES HERE!" to as many people as possible.

Rolex, Cartier, Chanel, and Louis Vuitton do the trick for this.  Rolex is the obvious first choice as it hits the trifecta of status symbol, retained value, and excellent timekeeping.

12 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Most of the people here are missing the point.

If you're going to wear a watch to impress the most people, it doesn't need to be a good timekeeper.  It needs to shout "MONEY LIVES HERE!" to as many people as possible.

Rolex, Cartier, Chanel, and Louis Vuitton do the trick for this.  Rolex is the obvious first choice as it hits the trifecta of status symbol, retained value, and excellent timekeeping.

i doubt many on here are going to buy a Rolex for the "look at me" thrill

of the 100 people in my life who own and wear one they are usually gifts or legacies or the enjoyment of making a shtload of $$$

Edited by row_33

I have my grail watch in the Omega, plus a much enjoyed Swiss-movement Tissot Heritage Sovereign (the cookie) that ticks with the heart of a lion, and a Ticino Pilot-B (Miyota movement) gem for fun.

A store in my area used to sell good watches at grey-market prices :D

and i cashed in well until they one day disappeared  :(

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

i doubt many on here are going to buy a Rolex for the "look at me" thrill

I don’t really need a nice watch but as shallow as this sounds I think it helps in my line of work. If I’m going to meet with these prospects and have a nice watch on it gives off a perception of success

Does anybody actually read the thread body?  The perception of success is what Kirby is going for.  So (expensive) brand recognition is important.  Like it or not, unless you're a watch enthusiast or avid GQ reader the name "Breitling" isn't going to impress you. 

If Kirby's meeting with 70 year old men...sure go for a classic like an Omega or something.  Don't want anything too flashy then.  For everyone else it's names that come up in rap songs, like it or not.  Same with cars.

A friend celebrated getting over a dire health scare with a very very nice pilot watch, which is a privilege to make mock fun of when he wears it

but its 50mm and the joke is nobody would suspect he is wearing something worth many thousands of dollars with all the betas running around with pointy shoes and groovy socks and 50mm pieces of garbage of their thin wrists

13 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Does anybody actually read the thread body?  The perception of success is what Kirby is going for.  So (expensive) brand recognition is important.  Like it or not, unless you're a watch enthusiast or avid GQ reader the name "Breitling" isn't going to impress you. 

If Kirby's meeting with 70 year old men...sure go for a classic like an Omega or something.  Don't want anything too flashy then.  For everyone else it's names that come up in rap songs, like it or not.  Same with cars.

don't worry, you are still the self-appointed tin-god buddah wisdom dispenser of this thread...

If you want to avoid the wrath of the "watch crowd" make sure the second hand rotates smoothly or in small burst of 3-5 times a second.

if it goes "plink" and moves for each whole second it is a piece of trash (99.9% of the time).

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

As some of you know I broke off my engagement about a couple of months ago. I did take the ring back. I’m not sure what the move is there but I feel pretty good about it. At any rate, I’m thinking about trading it for a nice watch. I don’t really need a nice watch but as shallow as this sounds I think it helps in my line of work. If I’m going to meet with these prospects and have a nice watch on it gives off a perception of success (not a failed engagement ha ha). Does anyone have a nice watch that they love or regret purchasing? 

Buy a Rolex.  They retain value famously.  There are 20 year old oysters going for 90% retail on a new one.  Its unbelievable.

And like the old saying goes "Rolex...mo' sex.....Errybody get your roll on!"  I believe it was Shakespeare.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I’ve never been a watch guy. My friend’s dad owns a couple of jewlers (not sure if that’s the right tense). I just talked to her because they do pre-owned rolexes. I’m trying to just make a straight trade, this ring for a watch. She said her dad would hook me up but who knows. I really want to get this thing out of here and I know that just selling it will result in pennies on the dollar. The research I’ve done says to expect 50% of what you paid at most. If that’s the case I’d rather take a watch that’s 50 to 70% (retail) of what I paid.

I also think it could be an investment. They hold their value and it may help me in sales. When meeting with CEO’s and owner’s there is something to “looking the part.” It may be a sub-conscious thing but I think it helps. 

It is not something that I need but I’d rather have that than a little money that I just bleed away on nonsense.

If you can get a Rolex in good condition I would recommend it. It screams this guy knows what he's doing.  

Presidential datejust is my favorite. My uncles business partner has two. One with crazy amounts of diamonds that was ridiculously expensive the other without diamonds. They both are amazing. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

If you want to avoid the wrath of the "watch crowd" make sure the second hand rotates smoothly or in small burst of 3-5 times a second.

if it goes "plink" and moves for each whole second it is a piece of trash (99.9% of the time).

Piece of trash?

21 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Exactly.  Does Kirby want to impress old dudes who have refined but understated taste in quality timepieces or vapid women who know that Rolex means you're hung like a pony? I know what my choice would be.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have a mechanical pocket watch that I never use anymore, but I actually really like my Samsung smartwatch. Tons of faces for download that look like the mechanical ones; tracks steps, stairs, and sleep; and it has it's own line so I can leave my phone home to charge and all my calls get forwarded to the watch. There's some interchangeable bands available for it too.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but I do like it quite a bit.

5876407_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=55

I have two Movados as I like the look.  I am also older and like a watch vs cell phone.

As for the use, if going for the ladies you want an recognized brand.  There are many expensive Swiss brands that people do not know the name.

If for business you want to show success but not too much.  When I used to hire consulting firms if I saw an expensive watch I assumed they were charging too much.

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

Piece of trash?

yes, almost every watch with a second hand moving the whole second in one "plink" would be considered that if one is into watches

i can name a few exceptions but they have never shown up

that's a good giveaway it's cheap or a fake

on the other hand I accept the advice by many that fakes are now getting so intricate that few could tell the diff

Edited by row_33

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yes, almost every watch with a second hand moving the whole second in one "plink" would be considered that if one is into watches

on the other hand I accept the advice by many that fakes are now getting so intricate that few could tell the diff

My buddy bought a fake Rolex just to see if it was all it was cracked up to be.  Second hand rotates smoothly.  Not sure where the movement was made but he noticed it gets about thirty seconds off after a few weeks.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

I've got an Oakley Timebomb watch that I got as a gift.  I wear it when I go out / special function.

Other than that I have a Garmin activity, Swiss Army day/date, and Swatch chrono watches.

a good and functional collection

33 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Yes, almost every watch with a second hand moving the whole second in one "plink" would be considered that if one is into watches

Yes the “sweeping seconds” is the sign of a higher end watch.  I have a $300 Citizen that is radio-controlled and solar-powered that has a “deadbeat second” hand.