JUDGE BLOCKS TRUMP FROM ADDING CITIZENSHIP QUESTION TO 2020 CENSUS

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ok, so I don't understand this ruling.  As I am reading it,  according to the SC, Wilbur Ross (the Trump Administration) has every right to ask the citizenship question on the census, but that the administration has to go back to a lower court so they can justify why they have every right to ask this question?  Am I missing something?

Their job was to stall so the forms would be printed without the question. This was Roberts (W's gift that keeps on giving) trying to have it both ways at the expense of the country. 

His removal from the bench can't come soon enough. The FISA abuse alone should sink him (it won't, but it should).

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Their job was to stall so the forms would be printed without the question. This was Roberts (W's gift that keeps on giving) trying to have it both ways at the expense of the country. 

His removal from the bench can't come soon enough. The FISA abuse alone should sink him (it won't, but it should).

I always dismissed the tin foil hat crowd that thinks the "deep state" has something on him, but some of the doozy decisions he has been the fifth vote on over the years makes me rethink my stance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ok, so I don't understand this ruling.  As I am reading it,  according to the SC, Wilbur Ross (the Trump Administration) has every right to ask the citizenship question on the census, but that the administration has to go back to a lower court so they can justify why they have every right to ask this question?  Am I missing something?

There were multiple parts to this and multiple votes on those parts.

The short of it is that SCOTUS ruled that the question itself is constitutional and does not violate the Census Act, 

but they also ruled that the Commerce Department did not give a sufficient explanation during judicial review, therefore, they can’t use the question.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I always dismissed the tin foil hat crowd that thinks the "deep state" has something on him, but some of the doozy decisions he has been the fifth vote on over the years makes me rethink my stance. 

I hear you on not wanting to buy into it, but remember the political spying ring operating inside the DOJ-NSD and FBI-CID were put into place for more than just the 2016 election. We know it's been in place since at least 2012, and I surmise from what I've seen that it existed in 2008-2012 and likely under 43 as well. 

Roberts is compromised either way you slice it: if they don't have "dirt on him", he still sat back and let the illegal political spying operation be built without objection. Either that silence was borne from him lacking the courage to do his job (possible), or he's compromised and being told how to rule (also possible). 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

There were multiple parts to this and multiple votes on those parts.

The short of it is that SCOTUS ruled that the question itself is constitutional and does not violate the Census Act, 

but they also ruled that the Commerce Department did not give a sufficient explanation during judicial review, therefore, they can’t use the question.

So what I said is essentially correct. And the second ruling makes NO sense in light of the first ruling. 

The irony of the gerrymander and census rulings is rich.

One one hand, the SC cannot interfere in a process that is overtly political, because it's up to you, the people.

On the other hand, the SC must interfere in a process that might become political, because **** you, the people.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

How is trying to get a head count on how many citizens and non citizens reside in this country a "power grab"? And why is it a bad thing to have such information?

Just turn the census over to Kamala Harris. She can count head with the best of them.

• Haha (+1) 1

:lol:

So  much winning! 

Citizenship Question Won’t Be on 2020 Census Forms as U.S. Drops Fight

• The Trump administration said that it would be printing forms for the 2020 census without a question asking about citizenship.
  • A Supreme Court decision last week had temporarily blocked the administration’s effort to add the question.
On 6/28/2019 at 7:35 AM, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

How is trying to get a head count on how many citizens and non citizens reside in this country a "power grab"? And why is it a bad thing to have such information?

Read the constitution. What's wrong with staying with the letter of our constitution? 

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's not like they had a choice.  A census every ten years is a constitutional mandate they can't bypass.

But does it mandate the month/day it must begin? IOW couldn't they have waited to print for a lower court decision as long as the census was out by 12/31/2020?

(I don't know, I am asking.)

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

But does it mandate the month/day it must begin? IOW couldn't they have waited to print for a lower court decision as long as the census was out by 12/31/2020?

(I don't know, I am asking.)

It does not.  But th ed Census Bureau still has to take in to account how long it takes to do the preliminary work, and work backwards from there to get a "no later than" date.

Which seems to be...now.  Not unreasonable, given how the government works.

• Like (+1) 1

So is this a "not so fast" or does Trump have something up his sleeve?

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146245459268263938

since it is mobile, these are his tweets

A very sad time for America when the Supreme Court of the United States won’t allow a question of “Is this person a Citizen of the United States?” to be asked on the #2020 Census! Going on for a long time. I have asked the Department of Commerce and the Department of Justice....

....to do whatever is necessary to bring this most vital of questions, and this very important case, to a successful conclusion. USA! USA! USA!

14 hours ago, Tiberius said:

:lol:

So  much winning! 

Citizenship Question Won’t Be on 2020 Census Forms as U.S. Drops Fight

• The Trump administration said that it would be printing forms for the 2020 census without a question asking about citizenship.
  • A Supreme Court decision last week had temporarily blocked the administration’s effort to add the question.

Read the constitution. What's wrong with staying with the letter of our constitution? 

Where in the constitution does it say we are prohibited from asking if they are a citizen or not? Is it not the purpose of the census to determine how many people, ie. citizens are residing in our republic?

Dems only oppose this question because many of  the deep blue districts, i.e NYC, San Francisco, etc are flooded with illegals and they want them counted in the census to expand congressional districts to add seats and to justify increased federal funding to said districts.

But you already know this, of course...

Edited by MILFHUNTER#518

4 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Where in the constitution does it say we are prohibited from asking if they are a citizen or not? Is it not the purpose of the census to determine how many people, ie. citizens are residing in our republic?

Dems only oppose this question because many of  the deep blue districts, i.e NYC, San Francisco, etc are flooded with illegals and they want them counted in the census to expand congressional districts to add seats and to justify increased federal funding to said districts.

SCOTUS has invented whatever it wants from the Constitution since it was founded.

27 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

"Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each States ..."

persons...We have to live under the constitution and so do you. 

Edited by Tiberius

35 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

"Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each States ..."

persons...We have to live under the constitution and so do you. 

Oh so now you are an originalist all of a sudden LOL.

The supreme court ruled the question constitutional,  it will be added in due time. Should be interesting to see how he goes about it knowing they have already started printing the census without it.

2 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Oh so now you are an originalist all of a sudden LOL.

The supreme court ruled the question constitutional,  it will be added in due time. Should be interesting to see how he goes about it knowing they have already started printing the census without it.

In 2030? By then the demographics will already have been baked in.