JUDGE BLOCKS TRUMP FROM ADDING CITIZENSHIP QUESTION TO 2020 CENSUS

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

well... they don't like it so they think it should be overturned, BAM!!, just like that....

i worked census for a few summer jobs, and people HATE!!!!! the concept and filling out the form.

If it came to it, I'd be the one they ask to generate the deportation list.  

But it won't come to it, because "Are you a citizen (Y/N)?" is an absolutely lousy starting point for that list.  There are about thirty different programs under which a non-citizen can reside here legally (a few off the top of my head...TPS, VAWA, green card, diplomats, foreign journalists, students, ship crews, au pairs, work visas, actors and artists.)   The idea that "Are you a citizen?" is in any way a practical starting point for any sort of anti-immigrant effort is ludicrous pap for the simple-minded.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

If it came to it, I'd be the one they ask to generate the deportation list.  

But it won't come to it, because "Are you a citizen (Y/N)?" is an absolutely lousy starting point for that list.  There are about thirty different programs under which a non-citizen can reside here legally (a few off the top of my head...TPS, VAWA, green card, diplomats, foreign journalists, students, ship crews, au pairs, work visas, actors and artists.)   The idea that "Are you a citizen?" is in any way a practical starting point for any sort of anti-immigrant effort is ludicrous pap for the simple-minded.

they don't listen to reason

they kneejerk react and that settles it for them

i see where the ACLU has asked the Supreme Court to delay ruling on the issue of whether or not to include the citizenship question. they are saying it is part of a larger conspiracy to increase Republican political power.

:wallbash:

10 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i see where the ACLU has asked the Supreme Court to delay ruling on the issue of whether or not to include the citizenship question. they are saying it is part of a larger conspiracy to increase Republican political power.

And they're transparently asking the Court to delay the decision until it's too late to print.

I'd actually argue the court should wait, even at the risk of not including it in the 2020 census...IF the administration wasn't simply restoring a question the Obama Administration unilaterally decided to remove in 2010, which wasn't causing any harm before then.

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

So assigning congressional seats and electoral votes based on the population of eligible voters in each state is in the mind of the ACLU, a conspiracy. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

So assigning congressional seats and electoral votes based on the population of eligible voters in each state is in the mind of the ACLU, a conspiracy. 

to the pure in heart, all things are pure

to the Dems, all things are a conspiracy worse than the one they are hatching, tough way to live

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

And they're transparently asking the Court to delay the decision until it's too late to print.

I'd actually argue the court should wait, even at the risk of not including it in the 2020 census...IF the administration wasn't simply restoring a question the Obama Administration unilaterally decided to remove in 2010, which wasn't causing any harm before then.

well, the removal is what arguably caused harm. as keepthefaith alluded to, congressional seats are based upon eligible voters not simply the population. which in turn makes the ACLU's argument ridicules.

• 2 weeks later...

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court sent the Trump administration's request to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census back to a lower court Thursday, giving challengers another chance to block it.

The ruling by Chief Justice John Roberts and joined at least in part by the other justices questioned the rationale for the administration's effort, just as challenging states and immigrant rights groups have done.

"The evidence tells a story that does not match the explanation (Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross) gave for his decision," Roberts wrote. "The sole stated reason seems to have been contrived."

Polite way of saying they are f'n lying 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/06/27/2020-census-citizenship-question-supreme-court-avoids-trump-request/1289738001/

• Like (+1) 1

In Convoluted Ruling, SCOTUS Blocks Citizenship Question On Census

This is very complicated and I’m not going to try to describe in detail every aspect of the decision. There were multiple parts to this and multiple votes on those parts. The short of it is that SCOTUS ruled that the question itself is constitutional and does not violate the Census Act, but they also ruled that the Commerce Department did not give a sufficient explanation during judicial review, therefore, they can’t use the question.

The partial dissent pointed out the obvious problem with ruling something constitutional and then arbitrarily deciding it can’t be done anyway.

While theoretically, Commerce could just come up with a more fleshed out explanation and probably win the case, the timing of all this makes it unlikely. Printing has to start this month and it’s unlikely a lower court would rush a decision.

.https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2019/06/27/breaking-scotus-blocks-citizenship-question-census/

Edited by B-Man

Ok, so I don't understand this ruling.  As I am reading it,  according to the SC, Wilbur Ross (the Trump Administration) has every right to ask the citizenship question on the census, but that the administration has to go back to a lower court so they can justify why they have every right to ask this question?  Am I missing something?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2