The Whiskey Thread

The_Dude

I’ve worked off some of my inventory, but still have these waiting on the top shelf:

Glenlivet 12

MacCallan rare cask

Bookers small batch bourbon series

I need to add a Glenmorangie to the collection, preferably the 18 yo or 12 w/ Port Wood finish.  Been way too long since I tasted that.

My Brother has a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle he just bought.  He leaves for New York City for New Year's, we are staying over... He says: "You can drink anything you want, but don't touch the Pappy Van Winkle."  

I am not a whiskey guy... Is that good?  I am not sure how old it was?

I think the bottle was like 2 grand.

?

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My Brother has a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle he just bought.  He leaves for New York City for New Year's, we are staying over... He says: "You can drink anything you want, but don't touch the Pappy Van Winkle."  

?

Yes - PVW is one of the "golden" whiskeys.  In OH they have a lottery in order to purchase one of the limited quantity of bottles.

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

?

Pappy's are 15 years and older.   Their "low end" is Old Rip Van Winkle, it's 10 years and ONLY $500 if you can find it.

It will be interesting to see how being bought by Buffalo Trace will impact the supply.  Part of the reason the price is so high is because it is rare, if Buffalo Trace significantly increases supply it could go down considerably.  They started making it 2002 so what they have made is already aged and bottled but no real impact yet but it still hasn't hit the real high end stuff yet.

Edited by Mark80
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

Yes - PVW is one of the "golden" whiskeys.  In OH they have a lottery in order to purchase one of the limited quantity of bottles.

He just happened to be in a liquor store and saw it... Grabbed it up.  Nice having expandable income... The wife would whoop my azzz... "But Honey, it's an "investment!"  ??

On 1/8/2019 at 9:52 AM, row_33 said:

I really wasn't up to appreciating the partaking in a Laphroaig that everyone else was so excited about.

For a retiring gentleman at the firm, I was asked what we should get him.

I stated that any man would value a good bottle of whiskey.  The women took offense at that somehow, I started back at them like when Charlie glares back after a burn on Alan, I guess it's ingrained to think there is no diffs?

Laphroaig, and all the other peat monsters from Islay (Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Caol Ila to name a few) taste like German hospital sanitizer.

I have no idea how people can enjoy them, but they most certainly have a die-hard following.

I am much more a Speyside/Highlands kind of guy.

As the OP is asking for recommendations, I have to mention my favorite reasonably priced scotch: Highland Park 12.

You will not enjoy a better dram of whisky for the price.

Just a few years ago a bottle could be had for around $50; now it's in the low $60s but it's still a great value at that price.

I’ve always been more of a Bourbon guy, but my son in law gave me a bottle of The Balvanie Scotch.  I like it a lot. I’m not a big fan of the peaty Scotch varieties. They taste like dirt. 

Maker’s Mark and Nob Creek have been my go to for a while. 

My son got one of those giant bottles of Jameson at the duty free shop at Niagara Falls a couple years ago.  I don’t know how much he has gone through, but I don’t think he drinks that much or that often. 

My brother is a fan of Blanton’s. 

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I’ve always been more of a Bourbon guy, but my son in law gave me a bottle of The Balvanie Scotch.  I like it a lot. I’m not a big fan of the peaty Scotch varieties. They taste like dirt. 

Maker’s Mark and Nob Creek have been my go to for a while. 

My son got one of those giant bottles of Jameson at the duty free shop at Niagara Falls a couple years ago.  I don’t know how much he has gone through, but I don’t think he drinks that much or that often. 

My brother is a fan of Blanton’s. 

The Balvenie make some great scotch.

Their "Doublewood" is tasty and not super expensive--a good 12 year old.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Laphroaig, and all the other peat monsters from Islay (Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Caol Ila to name a few) taste like German hospital sanitizer.

I have no idea how people can enjoy them, but they most certainly have a die-hard following.

I am much more a Speyside/Highlands kind of guy.

As the OP is asking for recommendations, I have to mention my favorite reasonably priced scotch: Highland Park 12.

You will not enjoy a better dram of whisky for the price.

Just a few years ago a bottle could be had for around $50; now it's in the low $60s but it's still a great value at that price.

:lol:

Definitely an acquired taste.   Anyone catch the 60 Minutes piece on Islay over the New Years weekend?