Remembering Bflo Bill Cody

I'm Spartacus

1 hour ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Until Elvis, Buffalo Bill was the most famous American in the world, including presidents.  

He never labeled his Wild West performances as shows, as he tried to provide re-enactments of real-life in the American west.  The fastest way to spot fake memorabilia is to find the word 'show' on the item.  

Thank you for the correction.  good info.

20 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not sure the current mascot residing on the side of the Bills' helmet would approve of re-installing Cody as a mascot:

Cody received the nickname "Buffalo Bill" after the American Civil War, when he had a contract to supply Kansas Pacific Railroad workers with buffalo (American bison)meat.[19] Cody is purported to have killed 4,282 buffalo in eighteen months in 1867 and 1868.[9] Cody and another hunter, Bill Comstock, competed in an eight-hour[15]buffalo-shooting match over the exclusive right to use the name, which Cody won by killing 68 animals to Comstock's 48.[20] Comstock, part Cheyenne and a noted hunter, scout, and interpreter, used a fast-shooting Henry repeating rifle, while Cody competed with a larger-caliber Springfield Model 1866, which he called Lucretia Borgia, after the notorious beautiful, ruthless Italian noblewoman, the subject of a popular contemporary Victor Hugo opera Lucrezia Borgia. Cody explained that while his formidable opponent, Comstock, chased after his buffalo, engaging from the rear of the herd and leaving a trail of killed buffalo "scattered over a distance of three miles", Cody—likening his strategy to a billiards player "nursing" his billiard balls during "a big run"—first rode his horse to the front of the herd to target the leaders, forcing the followers to one side, eventually causing them to circle and create an easy target, and dropping them close together.[21]

I'm not sure this is a bad thing. We could have used him to put down a few of our overweight, untamed, reckless animals over the years.

• Haha (+1) 1

I thought William Cody’s descendants sued The Bills during the low point in the early 2000’s to not allow any use of graphics that associated The Bills with BB Cody. :ph34r: 

But then again, maybe that was just something that DC Tom posted. :unsure:

;)

Edited by Nanker

Fun fact: his father was from the Mississauga, Ontario area, and Buffalo Bill lived in the TO metro area for several years.

Here's a good photo of him without his characteristic long hair and goatee.

Buffalo_Bill_age_19.jpg

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So our mascot is someone who murdered the animal our city is named after?

Another fun fact is that Buffalo is most likely not named after the plains mammal but is a mangled pronunciation of the French for "beautiful river", or something like that - beau flave.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:06 PM, Guffalo said:

The first one was done by my father, he did the covers of the programs from 1961-1964. He also did some of the signage at the Rockpile. Within the weekly programs, he did some Bills related stuff like cartoon bodies of the players in the Bill Cody gear with their headshots on the cartoon body. I used to get copies of all of the programs since Dad also was the salesman for Holling Press which printed the weekly programs. Around 1976, Mom in a cleaning frenzy tossed out "those old programs of yours" 

The second one is from the AAFC Buffalo Bills from 1947-1949. According to Dad, when the Buffalo Bills came back into existence in 1959, his boss asked him to try to get the Bills account, Mr. Wilson was planning on bringing back the old Bill Cody after one of the west coast teams (LA Chargers) used a version of it in their weekly program. They asked him to do one, and after Mr Wilson gave the approval,  he would create a new one about a week or two before the game. I remember watching him draw them first in pencil, then ink, then with the 3 color transparent drapes that would be used for production. 

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/kevin-weil/

Thank you so much for sharing this! As an amateur cartoonist myself, I love reading about other cartoonists - especially the old style crosshatchers. Hopefully you still have some of your father's old pen nibs, holders, and ink bottles. Are you also an artist, Guffalo?

• Like (+1) 1