Both games total mismatched embarrassments

row_33

Well....since no one else is worthy, why don't Alabama and Clemson just play each other during the season(!) and we can go back to the old days where conferences had bowl tie-ins and all the big games happened on New Years Day and everyone enjoyed watching them.

Is there anyone who thinks this system works?  They gutted the bowl game system in exchange for what, one game between the same two teams every year?  And the only arguments to supposedly make it better are 'always include OSU no matter what' and 'put in multiple SEC teams no matter the records'?   If that's how you're going to run a playoff, why not just go back to the old bowl system and final rankings to determine a champion?  Seriously....in all the decades they did that, how many times did that fail to produce the correct national champ?

Sure will be thrilling when Alabama beats Clemson by 3+ TDs.

Meanwhile today's first three New Years Eve "Meh" Bowls have all been entertaining

Cincinnati 35, Virginia Tech 31 was a back and forth game where every score was a lead change

Stanford 14, Pitt 13 and Oregon 7, Sparty 6 were both the kind of games a Defensive Coordinator would love

Looking forward to Mizzou vs Oklahoma St and Northwestern vs Utah

22 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Meanwhile today's first three New Years Eve "Meh" Bowls have all been entertaining

Cincinnati 35, Virginia Tech 31 was a back and forth game where every score was a lead change

Stanford 14, Pitt 13 and Oregon 7, Sparty 6 were both the kind of games a Defensive Coordinator would love

Looking forward to Mizzou vs Oklahoma St and Northwestern vs Utah

Great LSU game.

NYD is about being mellow and enjoying football on an afternoon off, with two hopefully great games to still watch.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

Three clock cleanings in the playoffs

Time to go back to letting the writers and coaches decide by ballot

You can't possibly believe that if the writers and coaches decided this game  it wouldn't have been Alabama vs Clemson right?

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

Three clock cleanings in the playoffs

Time to go back to letting the writers and coaches decide by ballot

That's what I said last week.   How often did they really get it wrong in the old days?   Almost never.

Meanwhile, they ruined the entire bowl system for this playoff.  Is it worth it?  Not to me.  Let the good teams have the balls to schedule each other like they used to do and go back to bowl games meaning something.   Being in the Sugar Bowl used to be a HUGE deal for an SEC team.  Ditto for the Big Ten/Pac Ten in the Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl for the Big 12, etc. 

The Irish were a good football team this year. Oklahoma was a good football team this year. Ohio St. was a good football team this year. Georgia was a good football team this year. Texas was a good football team this year. Alabama was a great football team this year. Clemson was the best football team this year and it wasn't even close. If it was 4, 8, 16, I think we would have still seen the same result. 

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That's what I said last week.   How often did they really get it wrong in the old days?   Almost never.

Meanwhile, they ruined the entire bowl system for this playoff.  Is it worth it?  Not to me.  Let the good teams have the balls to schedule each other like they used to do and go back to bowl games meaning something.   Being in the Sugar Bowl used to be a HUGE deal for an SEC team.  Ditto for the Big Ten/Pac Ten in the Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl for the Big 12, etc. 

So, here is my solution to make everyone happy. Change to 8 game playoff. Go back to the new year's day bowl game which will have the 8 teams involved in the playoffs. This year would have looked like this:

Rose bowl - no need to change, Pac 12 & Big 10 champ always in playoff, Washington vs Ohio state this year

Cotton Bowl - This game will feature Big 12 champ vs at large, this year Oklahoma vs. Georgia

Sugar Bowl - This game will feature SEC champ vs at large, this year Alabama vs Notre Dame

Orange Bowl - This game will feature ACC champ vs at large, this year Clemson vs UCF? (Last year would have been the same, if blow out maybe someone else)

Next two weeks are off weeks as NFL playoffs are in full force. When the NFL has Championship Sunday, college will have semi-final Saturday. Only difference to this year's final 4 would be Ohio State replacing Notre Dame, who had already lost to Alabama New Year's day.

The bye week prior to the Super Bowl will be the National Championship game for College. Haven't decided if this will be on Saturday, Sunday, or leave on Monday. Will decide when I become NFL and NCAA commissioner.

now people who called the whole process an abomination for the last 4 or so years....

LOVE IT since Bama lost

LOL, I still will watch the games and hope for good ones and that sanity will prevail over the years

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

They didn't ruin the bowl system.  OSU/Washington still meant something to a lot of fans.

You forget the matchups we've missed over the years.  College players WANT to play the Bamas and Clemsons of the world.  They want their shots.  

As fun as the Bowl System was, the change was a response to the change in football culture.  Winning the Peach Bowl doesn't matter to LSU players like beating Bama in the CFP does.  The SEC championship is the most watched game all year for a reason.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:05 PM, row_33 said:

And people and want to add four more teams not as good as the throughly trashes losers today?

I don’t really care either way, but this is a bad argument. So, because this year’s playoff was full of blowouts, adding teams to the playoff means there will be more blowouts every year?

i think a better argument is that you’re asking the clearly best teams to plan an additional game and expose their players, many of which have NFL futures, to additional injury risk in an unnecessary game in which the players don’t get paid but people like the president of the Outback Bowl make $1m a year. 

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I presume you are talking about the very start of the season when there are a lot of non-conference games?

That still happens today. There are quite a few big non-conference games that still occur.

In 2019 we have these match-ups to look forward too....

Florida Vs. Miami(FLA)

Georgia Vs. Notre Dame

Michigan State Vs. Arizona State

Florida State Vs. Boise State

Auburn Vs. Oregon

Michigan Vs. Notre Dame

Texas Vs. Louisiana State

UCLA Vs. Oklahoma

Clemson Vs. Texas A&M

Central Florida Vs. Stanford

Penn State Vs. Buffalo ;)

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/29/2018 at 9:57 PM, KD in CA said:

Well....since no one else is worthy, why don't Alabama and Clemson just play each other during the season(!) and we can go back to the old days where conferences had bowl tie-ins and all the big games happened on New Years Day and everyone enjoyed watching them.

Is there anyone who thinks this system works?  They gutted the bowl game system in exchange for what, one game between the same two teams every year?  And the only arguments to supposedly make it better are 'always include OSU no matter what' and 'put in multiple SEC teams no matter the records'?   If that's how you're going to run a playoff, why not just go back to the old bowl system and final rankings to determine a champion?  Seriously....in all the decades they did that, how many times did that fail to produce the correct national champ?

Sure will be thrilling when Alabama beats Clemson by 3+ TDs.

Well, you were right about the gap being 3 plus touchdowns...

I think the system worked this year.

24 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Well, you were right about the gap being 3 plus touchdowns...

I think the system worked this year.

would you change the system? 

we didn't get many good and competitive games this bowl season, I could argue 1 at the most for top teams

cackling with joy as Clemson took down Bama isn't purely a competitive game, but it was good

52 minutes ago, row_33 said:

would you change the system? 

we didn't get many good and competitive games this bowl season, I could argue 1 at the most for top teams

cackling with joy as Clemson took down Bama isn't purely a competitive game, but it was good

I meant it worked as far as believing that we got the right National Champion, but I do wish that play-off games would have been better.  I fear that adding additional teams may just mean more bad games, unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I meant it worked as far as believing that we got the right National Champion, but I do wish that play-off games would have been better.  I fear that adding additional teams may just mean more bad games, unfortunately.

even though i like cynicism as much as oxygen, i have 0% quarrel with the two teams that made it to the final.

i would not welcome Bama winning 100-0 over the 8th seed, a 4-loss 3rd place out of the MAC that won the conference title game.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.