Arizona Cardinals: HC Steve Wilks fired (potential add to Bills staff?)

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....certainly agree....at the same time, this is what bugs me about McDermott being a disciple of the legendary great DC Jim Johnson that we do not see................

..."Widely regarded as one of the best defensive coordinators in the National Football League (NFL), Johnson was especially known for being a master architect of blitzes, disguising them skillfully and keeping offenses constantly off balance..."

Those Jim Johnson defenses were awesome. Maybe Sean needs to go back to the drawing board a bit and get back to the old days. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Wilks was the defensive backs coach under Sean McDermott in Carolina, so he is running the same stuff Coach McDermott does. One of the issues that Wilks had in Arizona was that all of their defensive talent was drafted to be in a 3-4. 

But yes Wilks will be a great fit here. 

Though I watched maybe one Arizona game this year, my understanding is their defense was actually pretty good. Just what i heard though. 

Sucks they aren’t giving him a little more time. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So Arizona gave broken Sam $20 million, benched him for a rookie, fired the vet OC and replaced him with a guy who has never done it, and they are firing him?  Wow, they didn’t even give him a chance. 

Has to be something behind the scenes. This is an odd one.

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Though I watched maybe one Arizona game this year, my understanding is their defense was actually pretty good. Just what i heard though. 

Sucks they aren’t giving him a little more time. 

It definitely took a while for the pieces to fit together, but I agree. The guy does not deserve to be fired. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It definitely took a while for the pieces to fit together, but I agree. The guy does not deserve to be fired. 

....some of these moves hardly pass the smell test of exonerating inept ownership/GM's and their hirings...so Wilks is "one and done" because he is SOLELY responsible for that bowel movement in the desert?.....about how 'bout Horseface in Denver?....Joseph has been on the "hot seat" even before he parked the car....thinkin' Rooney Rule hires by Looney Rule GM's.....

On 12/24/2018 at 8:57 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

That does nothing for me. Call me when Crossman and Castillo are replaced. 

I'll throw in 100$ for the billboard 

17 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Don’t get the Frazier hate. Seems like a nice guy and is probably the most solid coach we have on the roster

I agree but he runs a cover poo and he calls bad games a lot. He also never blitzes. I want a DC than runs a defense like Vic Fangio in Chicago. I feel like this defense has more 3-4 type player anyways.

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I'll throw in 100$ for the billboard 

I agree but he runs a cover poo and he calls bad games a lot. He also never blitzes. I want a DC than runs a defense like Vic Fangio in Chicago. I feel like this defense has more 3-4 type player anyways.

I definitely want more blitzing 

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McBeane will be under pressure to win next year and with two regimes full of former McDermott buddies in danger of getting canned next week it wouldn't be surprising to see an influx of even more former Carolinians.

Ron Rivera......assistant HC

Wilks......DC

get Kalil to eschew retirement for a year and play center for the Bills

trade for Kuechly

I got a better idea ... fire McDermott and his crew, especially QB David Culley, and hire an experienced NFL HCfor 2019  rather than waste another year of Allen's career ... and pack Beane off, too.

When a coach has shown that he is not up to the job, it’s dumb to keep him around another year for the sake of continuity.  For example, although I supported the hire initially, I felt there was no reason to give Rex a second season in Buffalo.  

After Sunday, I’m starting to feel that way about giving McDermott a third season.  I don’t think there’s any way he’ll ever win a game against Belichick unless the Pats are resting half their team.  He’s in over his head.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

When a coach has shown that he is not up to the job, it’s dumb to keep him around another year for the sake of continuity.  For example, although I supported the hire initially, I felt there was no reason to give Rex a second season in Buffalo.  

After Sunday, I’m starting to feel that way about giving McDermott a third season.  I don’t think there’s any way he’ll ever win a game against Belichick unless the Pats are resting half their team.  He’s in over his head.

Oh for christ sake

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

I got a better idea ... fire McDermott and his crew, especially QB David Culley, and hire an experienced NFL HCfor 2019  rather than waste another year of Allen's career ... and pack Beane off, too.

boo

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

So you think the Clapper matches up well with the Hoodie?

I think that McD has a very undertalented team that is gonna make it very hard for him to compete against one of the all time greats......in the EXTREMELY limited times he has even had a chance to coach against him.

We cant run the ball against anyone even BB

BB has a extremely good record against rookie QBs

Come on man.....the patriots have 10 wins for a reason

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I think that McD has a very undertalented team that is gonna make it very hard for him to compete against one of the all time greats......in the EXTREMELY limited times he has even had a chance to coach against him.

We cant run the ball against anyone even BB

BB has a extremely good record against rookie QBs

Come on man.....the patriots have 10 wins for a reason

Brady played worse than JA did and it was still a laugher.  McDermott is 0-4 vs NE and hasn’t even made Belichick break a sweat.  Can you say ? in headlights?

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/24/2018 at 8:50 PM, GETTOTHE50 said:

I think this is greatly exaggerated. How many games have you seen where a coach has done this? Not even Belishit can. 

Coaches do it all the time, it is not just halftime where adjustments and personnel match-ups are worked out.

There are coaches who thrive on making adjustments during a game...they treat football like it is a game of speed chess, others seemed to freeze up more and need the game to stop for them to process how they are getting beat and how to counter that. That is often why some guys no matter how knowledgeable about their X's and O's never move beyond being position coaches to OC or DC.

Like all things it is not black and white, but rather a scale of ability.

I believe when McD took the reigns from Frazier earlier this year, that was exactly what was going on. I am not hating on Frazier, he is a good coach, but there may be a better mesh for this staff and team with Wilks.

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Coaches do it all the time, it is not just halftime where adjustments and personnel match-ups are worked out.

There are coaches who thrive on making adjustments during a game...they treat football like it is a game of speed chess, others seemed to freeze up more and need the game to stop for them to process how they are getting beat and how to counter that. That is often why some guys no matter how knowledgeable about their X's and O's never move beyond being position coaches to OC or DC.

Like all things it is not black and white, but rather a scale of ability.

I believe when McD took the reigns from Frazier earlier this year, that was exactly what was going on. I am not hating on Frazier, he is a good coach, but there may be a better mesh for this staff and team with Wilks.

I would just like to know what adjustments we are supposed to make

Its not a good team this year....there are no playmakers on offense

In order to beat a Patriot team we have to be able to keep the ball, play defense, and get turnovers......we CANNOT RUN THE BALL.....I am am talking we literally cannot run the ball at all....not for first downs....not to keep drives going......there are players meeting our ball carriers in the backfield.....or they cannot get past the line of scrimmage.

When your whole offensive identity over recent years has been running the ball.....and you literally cannot run the ball.....and you have no dynamic playmakers to CATCH a ball

Its simple...you will not win games against good teams....shoot....you wont win most of your games

Give the coaches talent to work with

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I would just like to know what adjustments we are supposed to make

Its not a good team this year....there are no playmakers on offense

In order to beat a Patriot team we have to be able to keep the ball, play defense, and get turnovers......we CANNOT RUN THE BALL.....I am am talking we literally cannot run the ball at all....not for first downs....not to keep drives going......there are players meeting our ball carriers in the backfield.....or they cannot get past the line of scrimmage.

When your whole offensive identity over recent years has been running the ball.....and you literally cannot run the ball.....and you have no dynamic playmakers to CATCH a ball

Its simple...you will not win games against good teams....shoot....you wont win most of your games

Give the coaches talent to work with

Nothing specific in the Patriots game comes to mind - was not really focusing on that one game in particular so sorry if that is where you thought that was going.

Against NE the Bills were up against a coach who knew what most of us on the Wall have known all year - that the Bills have been suspect at stopping the run, even when going with their run-stopping package in the red zone they have struggled to get it done. Belichick just decided to keep running the ball till the Bills could prove they could stop it. They couldn't.

That is personnel, lack of push from the d-line, execution - lack of fill and/or tackling from Edmunds, and a few times lack of discipline and contain on the edges.

My comment was more a sense of how Frazier has done over the course of the year and my thoughts around his interaction with McDermott and why McDermott may want to go with a DC he has worked with before and may mesh with better.